Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 18:33   #1
BHPian

Registration details

Hi,

I have a bike from Goa (Scooty and splendor) which are registered in Goa. I am told that I cannot drive that vehicle in Bangalore. When I came with the scooty driving merily from Yeshwantpur station to home, a cop caught me and told me that the fine is upto Rs. 2000/-. Finally he told a fine of Rs. 500 which I agreed to pay. He was furious and told me that you need to register the bike. After a lot of please ... Rs. 100 in his pocket, he let me off.

Friends I want to know the rule here, thats the most important thing I want to know. I had all the documents, including polution certificate. The cop kept saying its an outside vehicle and you cant drive it here.

What should I do now, what is the registration procedure. I am told that I need to go to RTO office indranagar. Kindly tell me what are the stuff required to legally drive this bike in Bangalore. whenever i drive now, I avoid cops which is not really necessary I feel if I coudl register or do something that I could drive around here freely.

SCooty details : Purchase year 2001
Splendor: Purchased in 2000

Both vehicles have a clean record and have not been involved in any accidents in Goa.
Old 30th August 2006, 19:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are going to keep them here in Karnataka, then it would be better to get them re-registered. You would need NOC's from the Goa RTA, and other documents. But IIRC, you will lose the road-tax that you paid there.

The rules must be that you can drive for a few months without a re-registration, but this is more for visiting vehicles.
Old 31st August 2006, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Here is what you do -
Go to your jurisdiction RTO. You will find a counter called 'assistance' tell them you need to change address and transfer registration of your vehicle. They will give you couple of forms. I forgot the numbers (can check them up for you - they may be available on the RTO website www.rto.kar.nic.in).
Take the forms, your original R/C, proof of residence, 2 passport size photographs to the counter for out-of-state vehicles. Hand over the documents to the chap there. He/she will calculate your tax and tell you the amount. Take back all your documents. Go to the cash counter and pay the tax. Take the tax paid receipt attach it with the documents and filled in forms (take photocopies of your documents - you need to be safe) and handover to the out of state counter. They will give you a token/receipt. Go back to them in 2 days or whatever date they mention, they will return your original R/C with a change of address sticker.

They will send a letter to Goa RTO for NOC. After 90 days they will issue you a new R/C with new KA number.

Hey Presto! You are good to go.

I have done all of this myself at Indiranagar RTO without an agent or paying any money to anyone.

The fees for my car was Rs 320/-. I had paid the tax of Rs 19,000/- earlier (during a collection drive).

After, you get your new R/C take a copy of the old R/C (you have to take this before you submit it to Bangalore RTO, obviously) and new R/C and send a letter claiming refund of tax paid in Goa (some states have a form for this, not sure about Goa). State your new address in the letter. Then PRAY and WAIT.

If you need any other info you can PM me. Happy to help!

Rover
Old 31st August 2006, 11:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Excellent post, Rover....

Are you working as an Editor for the "...Dummies" series?
Old 31st August 2006, 12:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Excellent post, Rover....

Are you working as an Editor for the "...Dummies" series?
Thanks, Sandeep.

A habbit developed working with Americans. You know what I mean.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks