Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 21:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,
This is for my wifey. she has a valid license which was taken around 7 years back. i gave a brush up with a local driving school in chennai.
after that i took her out in santro and she can't change gears, turn steering wheel etc. zero confidence level. but the 'teacher' at the driving school was pretty confident about her.
now i want her to learn driving. there is a maruti driving school on the way to office. is it of any help?
i can't teach her from basics since i am very short tempered and always fear that she's gonna crash!.
somebody told me to take her on long routes and try teaching.
Guys please throw some ideas.
regds,
Mahesh
Old 30th August 2006, 22:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well, most of us here, have learnt driving on our own and trust me, nothing helps more that personal interest.

She'l learn a lot faster if you teach her.

Start off on an empty ground. Once she gets a hang of how it all works, take her on the highways and see if she can perform with the same confidence. If not, it's back to the ground.

Some people have the nack for it and will pick up the basics in a days time. For those who don't, it's better to take things easy and not expect too much too soon.

Shan2nu
Old 30th August 2006, 22:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
i can't teach her from basics since i am very short tempered and always fear that she's gonna crash!.
somebody told me to take her on long routes and try teaching.
oh my i can identify with that line and HOW! Please let me know when you do find a solution to this, teaching women how to drive is just not in my stride. I have tried and failed, no wonder they dont learn at driving school!
Old 30th August 2006, 22:14   #4
BHPian

From personal experience... there's nothing like a good teacher. If you can't do it, look around for a driving school that has a good one. Talk to some ex students if you cna and get feedback. I managed to find one for my wife in Bangalore and boy it did make all the difference. The maruti school should be better than others for sure

BTW I too fall in the can't teach category
Old 30th August 2006, 23:59   #5
elf
BANNED

I'm an excellent teacher... it's the learners I teach that are crappy
Old 31st August 2006, 02:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

dont teach her if ur short tempered and will keep yelling. ittl screw her confidence nd confidence is really important
Old 31st August 2006, 09:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO - the Maruti's school should be good. Going to a school often helps more because of an unknown person being the teacher, and the fees paid. These two factors often help as the learner can not be shouting at the teacher.

And it's not your car. The driving school's cars are there specifically for that purpose.

Just that your wife could go for the classes when she is ready. Even if you end up spending for the course again, this could be the best way.
Old 31st August 2006, 10:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
IMO - the Maruti's school should be good. Going to a school often helps more because of an unknown person being the teacher, and the fees paid. These two factors often help as the learner can not be shouting at the teacher.

And it's not your car. The driving school's cars are there specifically for that purpose.
also try private tutors as she already has a licence.
driving class "masters" would be one option or catch hold of your friends drivers..
they may charge about 2000-3000/- for a month to teach on your car.
cheaper & more convenient.
Old 31st August 2006, 10:22   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
And it's not your car.
This makes a helluva lot difference atleast to me... I HATE IT when my car is being abused... even by my wife!!! Lets leave the teaching bit to driving schools
Old 31st August 2006, 10:58   #10
BHPian

Kutlee,

I can identify with that. Having been there and done that (or should I say doing it). I am amazed at myself - a man with loads of patience (under the most stressful conditions) will become absolutely impatient with my dear wife attempting to drive the car. I am almost certain it has everything to do with my relationship to my ride (that is not say my relationship in the other department is on a nose dive).

After learning in a driving school, she got her drivers license 6 years ago. A bad experience (read accident, a dozen goons coming and surrounding the car) had severely dented her confidence.

She then proceeded to employ a driver and would self drive the car with the driver next to her on relatively empty roads. It did not help much. Went back to driving school. Did not help at all.

Current remedy, she takes the car out herself early part of the morning (less traffic). I have been with her some times, feel she is doing ok. No scrates, no dents, etc.

I die a thousand deaths every time she takes out the car but... I am seriously considering getting a ride for her to own.

Through all of this I learnt the lessons are the same as any learning -
1. set measureable attainable goals
2. a series of small successes are required
3. confidence building is a key
4. don't teach your girl to drive - close your eyes and play the passenger (take the back seat if you will)
5. budget permitting buy her one to drive

Hope it helps...
Old 31st August 2006, 11:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm an excellent teacher
There you go Mahesh, looks like you found yourself a teacher. Hehe

Shan2nu
Old 31st August 2006, 19:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

i remember teaching a friend who took it to 70 kmph the first time she drive, yes first time she drove.
Though i did have to keep telling her to use the pedals and all. This was at worli seaface in the afternoon, all empty.
Infact she was waved at by a cop for overspeeding, but we didnt stop
Before everyone starts to flag me, this was years back.

manson.
Old 31st August 2006, 21:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys.
there is lot of resistance in teaching girls in the forum. i think i will start with the maruti guy. i will not disclose that she has a license. then might just get their money and leave. if she needs a licese the ball will be defenitely with them. i am planning to ask for refund if she can't drive well after their lessons.
but what i think now is all this will be a waste if she does't take the car out for couple of months. its back to square one.
Old 2nd September 2006, 00:44   #14
BHPian

hmm....i drive...so let me see if i can help...

seriously....i think one needs a lot of patience...and the willingness to learn driving otherwise its waste if the person isnt really interested in learning it....

first the husband should be willing to teach....and i mean seriously....

first let her get the feel of the car i mean the basic of all the ABC...read accelerator brakes and clutch....the indicators the use, the beams..etc etc..start with the basic

and then NEXT crucial step the shifting of gears being stationary using the clutch only...let her get used to the positioning...

next start the car...and ask her to put on fst gear and let her take some rounds for a couple of days ....she will eventually learn to drive slowly...and also get bugged with the speed of it...make sure u make the initial rounds in open grounds or smooth roads with no traffic....

next is the upgradation to the second gear and then the third....she will get it....

AND DONT FORGET TO PRAISE HER IN FRONT OF OTHERS FOR HER IMPROVEMENT....IT WORKS WHEN U TELL OTHERS...U SEE SOCIAL PRIDE OR EVEN BE STIGMA WHEN NEGATIVE....
Old 2nd September 2006, 02:34   #15
BHPian

Well A familiar problem!! When I taught my wife driving I tanked up and told her that I will teach only for one week or till the full tank of fuel finishes , Whichever comes first!!! She learnt in 5 days. It helped that she was interested. before starting I gave her two theory classes on the board at home explaining how the engine power is transferred to wheels and why it is important to change gears. Also told her about momentum and the correlation of speed, momentum and gears. Then made her do lot of dry runs of changing gears and presseing the correct pedals, most important being the Brake pedal.

I told her to keep looking staright and press brake pedal whenever I shouted brake while the car was stationary. My shouting while the car was stationary got her used to my shouting in the car while teaching and helped her overcome the sudden panic one feels. It also made me confident that at least she, the car and the others on the road will be safe when required. (Common mistake by learners is to press accelerator when in panic , instead of brake). then I started with her in an open ground, helped her in initial pick up and let her drive around subsequently whichever way she felt fit. Initiallly she did not want to change gears, but from second day onwards i insisted on changing gears. Like this we went on fighting and cursing each others, but smiling briefly to hide the storm brewing inside the car(of the verbal kind) , at passing acquaintainces who used to go on evening walks on the same road. By fifth day she was driving on her own. I also told her to initially use a lot of horn so that at least others know that an unguided missile is approaching them and take evasive action. Subsequently she improved her skills by driving for small didtances regularly and now she confidently drives on hill roads. It is important that the lady in question drives regularly to keep her confidence levels up and hone her skill. She also should have some motive to drive. Otherwise generally females as a gender like to avoid any technically sounding activity. They are more interested in functionality than tech babble. For most of them the car is a means to get from place A to B and if it can be done withput changing any gear then why bother with such stupid things as X RPM for Ist gear and such like.
Hope this helps.
Happy Teaching
P.S. Always remember who is the Boss while teaching! LOL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks