Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2017, 22:52   #46
Team-BHP Support

re: Aadhaar Card: Updating mobile number

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Meanwhile, Airtel has tried to pull a fast one by silently opening Airtel payments bank accounts for customers when they come for biometric verification. They have been pulled up by the UIDAI....
I reported this on the Airtel thread earlier. This isn't just happening to walk-in verification customers, they're pulling this crap everywhere.

Airtel app T&C after every update, mobile or DTH payments, pretty much any transaction through an Airtel channel, there's a pre-selected check box hidden somewhere that says 'I authorize Airtel to open a Payments Bank account' that the customer needs to find and uncheck before proceeding.
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chethan, I have explained the reason behind opening of Airtel payment bank account in this thread. My father was one of the sufferer, it was later rectified by Airtel customer care center.
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:43   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Hi Chethan, I have explained the reason behind opening of Airtel payment bank account in this thread. My father was one of the sufferer, it was later rectified by Airtel customer care center.
Please re-read my comment above. I'm not referring to inadvertent errors caused by/during biometric verification.

Airtel is intentionally pushing their payments bank accounts on all their online channels through easy-to-miss, pre-selected check boxes they can later claim as 'consent' from customers. Not illegal, but underhanded and sneaky all the same.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd December 2017 at 23:48.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

The issue was first noticed in May 2017 when farmers complained about receiving subsidy amounts, it went unnoticed. Later it spread to cities when people started linking their mobile numbers. It was unethical on the part of UIADI and Airtel to mislead people by not clarifying about the after effects of using LH and RH fingers. If you look at Question 5 on the FAQ at Airtel website, they cleverly say all previous details will be over written. UIADI should have issuesd public instructions before launching such a massive drive. SC in its interim order has asked the mobile operators to give an online option for people to link their mobile numbers, neither UIADI nor the mobile operators have shown interest to implement this order. SC has also directed the government to wait for the final verdict, but GOI has preferred to ignore them.

https://www.airtel.in/link-aadhaar-mobile

Last edited by deehunk : 3rd December 2017 at 08:36. Reason: Add info
Old 20th December 2017, 11:02   #50
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

UIDAI temporarily suspends Airtel’s Aadhaar-linked e-KYC services

Source:New Indian express - Link
Old 20th December 2017, 22:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
UIDAI temporarily suspends Airtel’s Aadhaar-linked e-KYC services
Airtel has had to cough up 2.5 crores in penalty for this, not sure whether that's good enough number for them (LiveMint - Airtel deposits penalty).
Old 20th December 2017, 22:38   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Airtel has had to cough up 2.5 crores in penalty for this, not sure whether that's good enough number for them (LiveMint - Airtel deposits penalty).
It's not about the amount of the penalty. It's about breach of trust. It is an open secret that all telecos have been bombarding customers with calls and messages threatening suspension of service if you don't link your Aadhar with your number. This is despite the stay order from the SC as well as the right to privacy ruling. Airtel is refusing to provide new SIM cards without Aadhar to even existing customers, saying it was a directive from the company. A few contacts of mine in Airtel confirmed this to be a fact.

Prima facie, the company coerced customers into giving up Aadhar details by any means necessary, despite the SC ruling. What they are going to do with the data already collected, whether it will be destroyed, sold or kept for 'future use', is anyone's guess.

All service providers are desperately trying to get as many Aadhar card details as possible before the final SC order which will in all likelihood put an end to this nonsense. This is a mad rush to collect all the data they can. The latest to join the bandwagon are insurance companies. Chola Mandalam refused to process an insurance claim for my Hexa without Aadhar card. The surveyor insisted that it is an order from the company and offered to share the circular for my satisfaction. I got pissed and had the repairs done out of my pocket. Car is currently in the shop.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 20th December 2017 at 22:49.
Old 20th December 2017, 22:54   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It's not about the amount of the penalty. It's about breach of trust. ...
Precisely, that's why I felt the penalty not being stringent enough to deter them from trying such endeavors.
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Meanwhile it appears Aadhaar can be linked to the phone through a centralised IVR number. No need to go to the mobile service provider's showroom.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/telecom/fea...from=home-tech
Old 3rd January 2018, 17:56   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Airtel app T&C after every update, mobile or DTH payments, pretty much any transaction through an Airtel channel, there's a pre-selected check box hidden somewhere that says 'I authorize Airtel to open a Payments Bank account' that the customer needs to find and uncheck before proceeding.
The payments bank account consent check-boxes have vanished from all Airtel channels.
Old 4th January 2018, 10:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile it appears Aadhaar can be linked to the phone through a centralised IVR number. No need to go to the mobile service provider's showroom.

All online articles on this says that you get an option at the very beginning asking if you are an Indian National or NRI, but what I hear is Indian National or Foreign National.

Did not proceed further, as I also have a KL Aadhar card and TN registered mobile numbers. Even Airtel customer centers are clueless as to what to do in such cases and advised me to hold back since they are yet to get proper directives as to what to do in such cases.

So much for a "National" ID!
Old 4th January 2018, 10:41   #57
BHPian

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nat...ls/523361.html

Rs.500 for one billion aadhaar numbers. New scam or the old one?
Old 4th January 2018, 11:04   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I went through the comments posted on the website and it wasn't encouraging. And then, I got a message from Vodafone informing about this. Got it verified today morning and received a notification stating that the confirmation SMS will be sent in 24-48 hours.
Old 4th January 2018, 11:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:

BSNL Karnataka says the number 14546 does not exist , it works with Airtel or Vodafone.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:56   #60
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
BSNL Karnataka says the number 14546 does not exist , it works with Airtel or Vodafone.
Maybe thats because of this -

Quote:
So far, Airtel, Idea, and Vodafone have activated the service. Since Jio takes Aadhaar number to activate the SIM card, subscribers do not need to re-verify on the network, a customer care executive told Gadgets 360.

Most Viewed