Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 10:04   #76
BHPian

re: Aadhaar Card: Updating mobile number

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Way more than the majority of people aren't bad, nor do they misuse their identity in any way or form, why should they have to pay for the minority of the public who cheat and defraud?
I think you answered your own question. That is typically the case, almost always. It's a small number of people with zero morals that forces systems to be designed to identify them and/or keep them out. This indeed causes pain for the larger populace which is honest, good and law-abiding. But it's a required evil. Because not having such systems encourages more people to adopt the sleazy way then for the sleazy to adopt the right way.

Aadhaar is one of the ways to help identify such people who think that it's their birthright to cheat and get away by being dishonest. Maybe Aadhaar is not super perfect, but them none of the systems in the world are ever super perfect. Take the case of the SSN in the US. You need this for almost every transaction you make, whether it is for buying a mobile or for buying an insurance. They have alternatives for people who are visiting OR do not have an SSN. But even that is helpful as it helps you identify people who are using services but do not have an SSN.

I believe using Aadhaar for many initiatives should be made mandatory and a must. It's time we Indian's started questioning the people who want to get away by beating the system. I take offence when someone tells me that they avoid taxes. I am not thrilled and I do not want to know of the sleazy means by which taxes can be avoided. PAN card was supposed to solve this problem, but did it? No. Because people started getting multiple PAN cards. File taxes in the zero tax bracket under multiple PAN cards and end up paying no taxes. Now that Aadhaar is made mandatory, suddenly all these multiple PAN cards are out of business. Simpler solution: Pay taxes!

Now here's a new tactic. Make Aadhaar look vulnerable. Create the fear of privacy, fear of hacking etc to get more and more people against Aadhaar. Get more people scared. So that these system-beaters can go back to their old ways. I, for one, will not fall for this scam. Aadhaar is an amazing database. It's one of the best in the world. And it's safe.
Old 10th January 2018, 10:09   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
False: It shows just the Bank name and not the account numbers.
Correct, and it shows only one - the last - account bank name linked to Aadhaar. If a person has 5 accounts in different banks, it shows the last bank name only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Now here's a new tactic. Make Aadhaar look vulnerable. Create the fear of privacy, fear of hacking etc to get more and more people against Aadhaar. Get more people scared. So that these system-beaters can go back to their old ways. I, for one, will not fall for this scam. Aadhaar is an amazing database. It's one of the best in the world. And it's safe.
Absolutely this is what is happening now. Due to the crack down on black money, many individuals are forced to pay considerable amount of money as taxes for the first time in their lives. Also, people who run ponzy schemes using multiple mobile numbers are increasingly finding it difficult to run their schemes since Aadhaar linking became mandatory. Such people who got affected would try however possible to make Aadhaar look vulnerable so that people would lose trust in the system.

Our society has become increasingly conditioned to corruption, black money etc over a period of time. Now in many places it is the natural way of living and getting things done. It is high time that enforcements like Aadhaar gets implemented so that society can go back to the honest ways. If not now, we might be facing a point of no return where the entire economy would be driven by black money like some failed nations.

Last edited by Turbopetrol : 10th January 2018 at 10:27.
Old 10th January 2018, 10:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's with Aadhaar and mobile having to be same circle? Isn't the thing supposed to be a national ID?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Exactly the issue I am facing with Aadhar from KL and connections in TN. Even when visited Airtel store, they refused to process.

Called to customer care and was told to wait for further updates and not link now.
I have the same issue of mobile number and Aadhaar from different states due to which the IVR option did not work. I got it done at the Vodafone store though in 5 mins. They asked for the name, address & ph. no. of a local reference !
Old 10th January 2018, 10:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I have the same issue of mobile number and Aadhaar from different states due to which the IVR option did not work. I got it done at the Vodafone store though in 5 mins. They asked for the name, address & ph. no. of a local reference !
Yes, that was how it worked for me as well. For Aadhaar from a different state, you have to provide your local address plus a local contact reference, their address and phone number.
Old 10th January 2018, 17:43   #80
Team-BHP Support

Efficacy remains to be seen, but this seems like a good idea.
Old 10th January 2018, 17:58   #81
BHPian

The idea of Virtual ID and limited KYC certainly sounds promising. However, there are still many agencies who ask for photocopy of aadhar card for proof!! I am sure such physical copy submission needs to be done away with to derive benefits of virtual ID.

Another point worth mentioning is that it is possible lock and unlock biometric access for Aadhar verification. mAadhar app (link) allows to do that and this works like a charm. Essentially, with biometrics locked through the app, any biometric authentication request to UIDAI servers fails. When the biometrics are unlocked, the authentication goes through normally. The best part is that this is instantaneous so one can unlock biometrics, do the authentication and then lock them again to prevent misuse.
Old 12th January 2018, 00:09   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ On the mAadhar app, a french national hammered UIDAI today.

Read more here - http://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-a...d-4298719.html

Follow the complete thread. Fun starts here - https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/951154909189230593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Make Aadhaar look vulnerable. Create the fear of privacy, fear of hacking etc to get more and more people against Aadhaar. Get more people scared. So that these system-beaters can go back to their old ways. I, for one, will not fall for this scam. Aadhaar is an amazing database. It's one of the best in the world. And it's safe.
Just one Q: If Aadhar is the greatest thing to happen in India after Independence, why isn't linking Aadhar mandatory with Voter I-card yet?

Last edited by Dry Ice : 12th January 2018 at 00:16.
Old 12th January 2018, 10:11   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
On the mAadhar app, a french national hammered UIDAI today.
If I understand this correctly, this security flaw works if someone can access the mobile phone, access the app database and then extract eKYC data which contains aadhar details. Please correct me if understanding is incorrect. However, if I have already lost access to phone and that phone has been broken into through the first check of phone password, I guess I have far more worries than losing aadhar details.

Also, Aadhar card does not contain anymore data than what is present on say my driving license. While this no doubt is a vulnerability, I am not sure if the implications are serious. As for the firstpost article mentioning that one twitter user highlighted this and got no response, I had made a recommendation for fixed time unlocking of biometric details instead of being OTP based lock/unlock and found this incorporated in the latest app revision. Not claiming that it was my suggestion which was incorporated but I think the developers are working in the right direction.

P.S: The article even mentions that with Aadhar TOTP one does not need authentication SMS to do bank transaction. I am not sure which type bank transaction accepts Aadhar OTP instead of one sent by bank for that particular transaction.
Old 12th January 2018, 16:34   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Just one Q: If Aadhar is the greatest thing to happen in India after Independence, why isn't linking Aadhar mandatory with Voter I-card yet?
Actually Election Commission was already doing it; then this happened:

Quote:
In August 2015, the Supreme Court ordered that the Aadhaar card would not be used for any purpose other than the public distribution system, for the distribution of food grains, kerosene oil and LPG cylinders. Following this, the EC suspended NERPAP, as it was one of the respondents in the matter. The process of collection/feeding/seeding of Aadhaar numbers was stopped. However, by that time, the Commission had already linked 31 crore voters with their Aadhaar numbers.
Now they have started pushing for it again as per the news:

http://www.sundayguardianlive.com/ne...voter-id-cards
Old 12th January 2018, 18:01   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Meanwhile it appears Aadhaar can be linked to the phone through a centralised IVR number. No need to go to the mobile service provider's showroom.
Thank you so much for sharing this info Sir , just used this to verify my airtel number without visiting the store
Old 12th January 2018, 20:23   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post

Also, Aadhar card does not contain anymore data than what is present on say my driving license. While this no doubt is a vulnerability, I am not sure if the implications are serious....
It's not just what info it contains, but also what it could potentially provide access to.

A common national ID like Aadhaar will get linked to a lot more places as an authentication mechanism than a Driving License (or another comparable document), so could potentially compromise a lot more info compared to other IDs. While Identity theft is undeniably possible with any ID, Aadhaar is permanent while most other documents have an expiry date and need renewal.

TL;DR Aadhaar will eventually know a lot more about us than pretty much any other ID and it's permanent so there's no fix once it's compromised, hence all the hoohaa about security concerns.
Old 12th January 2018, 20:32   #87
BHPian

Quote:
TL;DR Aadhaar will eventually know a lot more about us than pretty much any other ID and it's permanent so there's no fix once it's compromised, hence all the hoohaa about security concerns.
In my opinion UIDAI should provide a dashboard for members to verify what all services, IDs and mobile numbers are linked to/verified by their respective Aadhaar numbers. That would enable one to an extent to double confirm that their Aadhaar was not misused by someone else. Also if a person decides to stop using a SIM, he/she should be able to remove that number from Aadhaar verification so that the number is disabled automatically (of course, payment of dues needs to be taken care of as well somehow)

Last edited by Turbopetrol : 12th January 2018 at 20:33.
Old 15th January 2018, 13:33   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Not claiming that it was my suggestion which was incorporated but I think the developers are working in the right direction.
Please. Don't even get me started on the developers. Checkout this thread to understand what "developers" at UIDAI are doing.

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/952574247594901509

Quote:
It's not just what info it contains, but also what it could potentially provide access to.
+1. And also, it isn't this easy to get ALL your details from any other single ID.
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:40   #89
BHPian

Wodering, did anyone get a confirmation SMS from the service provider after linking with Aadhar ?
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Wodering, did anyone get a confirmation SMS from the service provider after linking with Aadhar ?
Tried linking my Adhar card with airtel SIM on Jan 3, 2018; received an acknowledgement message that verification request is taken and in next 48 hours I will receive message for the same. No message from airtel till date. Neither confirmation, nor rejection.

Mom uses Vodafone SIM, tried same process on Jan 3, 2018 with current status similar to airtel. No rejection or confirmation message. Grandfather has Vodafone SIM too and the process didn't accept Adhar card number with an automated reply stating "invalid Adhar card number". I am myself wondering what if a person has more than one connection in his/her name from same service provider.

Jio doesnt connect with the process.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd January 2018 at 12:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks