Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2011, 00:33   #2716
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Auto-Image thread

Note from Moderator: The rules and conditions mentioned in the quoted posts(Post#1 & 9 of this thread) below will be enforced strictly from now on. Please ensure the pictures you post here comply to rules. Thanks for your anticipated co-operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Friends, as you know that we already have a thread for Non-Auto images posted by members.
This thread is for "Auto Images" clicked by members.

Not just a difference, but a big difference.

Auto images mean Car/Bike or any mode of LAND transportation clicked by "you" with a good quality camera.

Vehicle in picture may be yours, or somebody else's.
If it’s not yours, please ensure that you’ve taken necessary steps/permission before posting.

No posting of images found on Internet or any other magazine/books.

Image editing etc, is left to the posters, but as far as possible should be used only for effects like sharpening, white balance etc.
For "physical" modification of cars using Photoshop or similar tools, there is a separate thread.

This thread is to generate interest amongst members to see/shoot automobile in a different light (no pun intended).
There has to be a difference in terms of taking extra cares while shooting cars/bikes. Especially if you imagine they’re to be for reproduction. They may never go for reproduction (but who knows?) but that’s the criteria you should keep in mind while you’re shooting. Trust me, you’ll see the difference.

Remember this thread is for showcasing your auto photography talent.
Think carefully. See carefully. Shoot carefully and post carefully. This thread will be moderated heavily.

Please don't ask why your post was deleted. Any post in this thread has 90% chance of deletion.
Here are some pictures by a friend of mine, Silvester Divas (used with his permission of course) may give you some inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
We need a clear understanding of what we expect from this thread.

We all take picture of our car. Probably we share them with our friends and relatives. If we’re are TBHP member, then put them in TBHP garage also. But it’s more of a record to shoot a car. Honestly, do you do the same for your loved ones? You shoot their picture and shoot them again…just in order to express your feelings about them. You shoot your dog. You shoot your children. You shoot your wife or girlfriend. You shoot flora and fauna. You shoot landscape. You shoot monuments. You shoot place of interest. They’re your subjects. And you shoot whenever you get time or you feel like.

More often than not, same feeling doesn’t come when the subject is your car.
Surprising! Isn’t it? You spend hours on forum. You spend hours to search or seek information through Internet. You go out of your way to find the right alloy or upholstery material. You don’t really mind, spending time to sit and watch the process of your car’s modification. You do it because you love your car.

But how come you don’t think about taking some good photos of your car?

There could be few reasons:
1.You never thought about it.
2.You want to but not getting enough time.
3.You don’t know how to get a good picture.

The purpose of this thread is to get answers. You’ll get these answers by seeing. By trying. By understanding the fact that when you shoot a car it becomes a character.
This is the key point. If you don’t see your car as a character then you possibly don’t know where to and how to shoot. Worldwide all the car photographers have one thing in common: They all love cars. Inside and outside.

Ok, old man has blabbered enough. Let’s see what’s to be done therefore.
See your car in a different light. First post of this thread says that. This essentially means look at your car as a subject to shoot.
1. Choose interesting location to place your car. It could be anywhere.
2. See her through your viewfinder. Move. See again. You’ll find your car is looking different from angle to angle.
3. Choose the time of the day. Or the evening, if you have a tripod.
4. See the reflections on your car’s body from extraneous elements. They often work against your wish.
5. Clean the car before you shoot. Or simply shoot a clean car unless you want to have something different.
6. Have plenty of patience. It’s not an easy subject but at the end of the day, it’s your baby’s picture.
7. Forget. And I repeat forget about how you shot your car before. Also let me repeat what I had repeated in the first post: See your car in new light.
8. Digital cameras will tell you within a few seconds what you shot. Film cameras will tell you tomorrow. Patience is the key in car photography.

Having said all these, we know now what to expect. We know what to delete and what to keep for others to learn. Please keep this in mind that mod team headed by me will be really strict to accept or reject photographs.

Take your time. Try it out. It might be a great area interest for you.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th February 2011 at 00:40.
Old 26th February 2011, 08:54   #2717
Senior - BHPian

Here is my 2009 Mahindra Logan Edge Connect. Not a great place to shoot with all the reflections to be honest.
Attached Thumbnails
The Auto-Image thread-5366924891_f06e332eeb_o.jpg  

Last edited by Stratos : 26th February 2011 at 08:57.
Old 26th February 2011, 09:15   #2718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Here is my 2009 Mahindra Logan Edge Connect. Not a great place to shoot with all the reflections to be honest.
I like this shot! But, the reflections!

OT: Are those OE alloys?
Old 26th February 2011, 10:02   #2719
Team-BHP Support

Referring post #2721 of Anshuman. Guys, please post pictures with more care.
A huge number of posts here are extremely casual. Please post properly planned image here and not casual snaps.

If you're using Photoshop, try to use that software to enhance your picture. Plan your shot. Think what's possible to shoot and how that can be heightened through post process.
All around the world every single automobile image for advertising purpose is post processed. It's a requirement as loads of those tones and depths are not possible to get during the shoot.
If you're serious about automobile shoot the please remember planning is the key. Photoshop will only help if you know and if you plan. I agree it's not as simple as it sounds here. But then how will you know if you don't try?

Example below was shot from a moving cars boot. Both the cars were at roughly 80-90 kmph kind of speed. Sky was cloudy. Light was dull. Shot with 20mm wide block lens.
Taken the advantage of full frame sensor size. Image is cropped almost 40%. Worked on two layers to get that dark brooding look.

The Auto-Image thread-trcking2.jpg
Old 26th February 2011, 11:36   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz33r View Post
IS this the 2010 Velociraptor F150 (Hennesey) ;

I saw it's episode of Top Gear, absolutely power packed performer.

Not for everyone.
this wasn't the Velociraptor..it's a regular Raptor.
Old 26th February 2011, 12:20   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Referring post #2721

Example below was shot from a moving cars boot. Both the cars were at roughly 80-90 kmph kind of speed. Sky was cloudy. Light was dull. Shot with 20mm wide block lens.
Taken the advantage of full frame sensor size. Image is cropped almost 40%. Worked on two layers to get that dark brooding look.
The overall result of your skills in both photography and post processing are just awesome.
And, thanks for sharing the details.
Old 26th February 2011, 16:45   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All around the world every single automobile image for advertising purpose is post processed. It's a requirement as loads of those tones and depths are not possible to get during the shoot
Well said Rudraji!! Not only automobile photos but almost all of the advertisement pictures are post processed right?
Old 26th February 2011, 18:04   #2723
BHPian

Pictures of SX4 from the recent trip
The Auto-Image thread-p1020921_filtered.jpg

The Auto-Image thread-p1020953_filtered.jpg

The Auto-Image thread-p1020958_filtered.jpg
Old 28th February 2011, 11:00   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Shot by 1100D
Time: 12.00PM - Sunny sky
Polarised Lens
Cars: LHS - 1988 Premier Padmini (Black) // RHS - 1969 FIAT 1100d (British Green)

The Auto-Image thread-img_2437.jpg

Last edited by planet_rocker : 28th February 2011 at 11:04.
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:06   #2725
BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Audi Q5 Pan Shot. Pune hills
Attached Thumbnails
The Auto-Image thread-audi.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2011, 10:39   #2726
BHPian

The Skoda Laura Shot at the Sunday Meet.

Anvancy
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:54   #2727
BHPian

My All New Honda City
Attached Thumbnails
The Auto-Image thread-anhc.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2011, 10:58   #2728
BHPian

Laura is looking Superb.

I did not know Laura had white interiors or are they looking white due to post processing?
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:01   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Laura is looking Superb.

I did not know Laura had white interiors or are they looking white due to post processing?
They are actually Cream color.its white due to the processing.

Anvancy
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:45   #2730
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Grande Punto

Took this snap in my colony. Equipment used:

Nikon D90, Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Fully Manual
Processed in GIMP
Attached Thumbnails
The Auto-Image thread-5481083183_94f87b3426_b.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com