Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 00:27   #1081
BHPian

Ok,
So here goes 2 more pan shots. This time, me standing on the footpath and panned the camera. DSLR gurus, please critique.
Exif:
Shutter speed: 1/100
Aperture:f/16
The Auto-Image thread-3379239627_8887113eba_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:34   #1082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
DSLR gurus, please critique.
Me no DSLR guru but for a proper pan shot, cut down shutter speed. And shoot. More the better.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:51   #1083
Senior - BHPian

TG, those Evo shots are real drool. I want one.
Old 24th March 2009, 00:54   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
TG, those Evo shots are real drool. I want one.
You're being too vague. You want a picture or the actual car.

Just kidding. No offence meant.
Old 24th March 2009, 01:01   #1085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Me no DSLR guru but for a proper pan shot, cut down shutter speed. And shoot. More the better.
@Rudra
Well, i have learnt a lot seeing your work, so guru or not...i picked up your advice. i will try this at slower shutterspeeds now. What aperture do you generally shoot at to get cars in motion totally in focus? i will try this at slower shutterspeeds now.
Any tip on the settings for autofocus? I have left mine at 51 point.
@Kaushik
Thanks man, well those are from my point and shoot. I love that cam!
Regards,
TG.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:16   #1086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i will try this at slower shutterspeeds now.
Keep it slow. How slow depends on your comfort level. 1/13, 1/15, 1/20, 1/25 kind of speed should be right. Higher the shutter speed, lesser the panning effect.
Quote:
What aperture do you generally shoot at to get cars in motion totally in focus?
Again it'll depend on your focal length used. Higher the better for DOF.
Quote:
Any tip on the settings for autofocus? I have left mine at 51 point.
It's fine. Try out continuous focus too. But remember, battery will drain faster in this mode.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:09   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Keep it slow. How slow depends on your comfort level. 1/13, 1/15, 1/20, 1/25 kind of speed should be right. Higher the shutter speed, lesser the panning effect.
Again it'll depend on your focal length used. Higher the better for DOF.
It's fine. Try out continuous focus too. But remember, battery will drain faster in this mode.
Very very useful advice there Rudra, a couple of questions again, What is your work flow? I started clicking in RAW from yesterday, what I do is, open the RAW in Light Room 2, and do corrections in color and then save as a jpeg in highest quality. Is that what I am supposed to do?

Also, how do to get the gloss effect in post processing. I really would like to try it out.

I had tried lower shutter speed and here is the result:
The Auto-Image thread-3374334935_a03243bd4e_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:29   #1088
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is your work flow?
Shoot RAW. Process it for TIFF. I use Canon’s DPP and currently Apple Aperture. In terms of caliber Aperture is way ahead. 16bit TIFF file goes to Photoshop for further process. File stays as TIFF (16bit) only. Changing 16bit to 8bit is only during printing.
Quote:
I started clicking in RAW from yesterday, what I do is, open the RAW in Light Room 2, and do corrections in color and then save as a jpeg in highest quality. Is that what I am supposed to do?
I’ve never worked on Light Room and have no idea about. Final saving will depend on your requirement. It’s better to work and save as TIFF. You can always take a copy and make JPEG for mail and post.

I’ve mentioned this before and here once again: JPEG is a compressed format meant only for viewing. So called Joint Photographers Expert Group started this for exchanging image and discussion. JPEG files cannot handle proper colour corrections.
Quote:
Also, how do to get the gloss effect in post processing. I really would like to try it out.
I didn’t understand this gloss bit. What exactly do mean by gloss effect?
Quote:
I had tried lower shutter speed and here is the result:Attachment 115491
Looks good. Actually there’s no fix formula for this type of shot.
Trial and error is the key. If that person in the car is your friend, tell him to go little more faster and slower your shutter speed.

Was this shot with 60/80 kind of shutter speed?
Old 24th March 2009, 23:21   #1089
BHPian

Rudra, this is what I mean by gloss. The extravagant shine on the car, In 3d modeling, its called a gloss effect, hence i used the term. I find the shine on your clicks to be very prominent. I hope you are getting my point. If not I will try again.

And yeah, thanks for the stuff you mentioned above. That SUV click was at 1/80, below that i was messing up.
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 24th March 2009 at 23:24.
Old 25th March 2009, 00:14   #1090
Team-BHP Support

The pan shot can be tried in different ways. You can shoot in higher speeds if the object is far away and you are using a long lens. The idea is simple:
  • Your camera has to follow the moving subject from A to B when the shutter is open. That is why the shutter speed should be slow enough to allow you to move. Keep the A and B point close enough so that it gets over quickly.
  • The position of the moving object should be fixed in your frame, if not the main object will also be blurred. Therefore, you have to try to synchronise the camera panning with the moving object. A lag or lead will spoil the shot. This means trial & error.
  • If you are close to the object, you have to move the camera a lot to cover A to B. If the object moves fast, much better chance of keeping the camera steady while swinging it across. If the object is moving slowly, the camera shake will be too much and spoils the shot.
  • If the object is far (as in race tracks), use a long lens. It is easier to shoot distant object because A to B can be very short and can be shot at higher speeds. What may take a 90 degree swing in a close pan shot, takes just 10-20 degree swing in telephoto pan shot.
  • Experiment with various speeds for each distance, finally you will find your best combination for the pan shot.
Quote:
I find the shine on your clicks to be very prominent.
Cough, cough, this one was my click, only the click.
Old 25th March 2009, 01:19   #1091
BHPian

@Samurai
Excellent tips there. Thank you.
And yeah, it was your click alright, showered with Rudra's magic. Hehe, my bad!
Regards,
TG.
Old 25th March 2009, 09:13   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Ok now that we are talking about panning, here's one I shot last year from Just Dirt II in Bangalore.

The Auto-Image thread-dsc_0292-large.jpg
Old 25th March 2009, 11:57   #1093
BHPian

Nice one Riju, another one more from me, I am enjoying this! This one was clicked using a tripod to swivel the camera and i used the long lens as Samurai suggested. It is pretty effective, infact a lot more "in control" when I used a long lens.
Thanks Samurai.
The Auto-Image thread-3375059922_62d86fb827_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:10   #1094
Team-BHP Support

Ah, you already tried it. Looks lot cleaner, isn't it.

Here is a closeup pan shot, needs lot of trial and error. (This was Amitoj in 2006 at Goa)
The Auto-Image thread-72762050_3npcxl.jpg

This was shot using Steeroid's D50, I had just 10 minutes to figure out the controls. But then dSLR is like a cycle, if you know one, you can handle the other.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th March 2009 at 12:24.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:19   #1095
BHPian

Yes, a LOT cleaner. And talking of figuring out the controls, I have got lots of figuring out to do with this camera, actually its a little overwhelming, most of the times I feel I just am not upto it!

In your click I noticed that the brur lines are really long, awesome one. Looks like it was quite dark and you had to pump up the ISO as well.

Regards,
TG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks