Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2006, 21:30   #31

the fact that the car didnt go off even after a 4 feet flood clealy indicated a rupture in the exhaust pipe and the crack somewhere near the engine....as 'tsk' mentioned earlier the CO might have leaked into the AC air ducts. if my memoy is correct there was no failure in the central locking system...and 'raj_aryan4411' there are window locks in the drivers control panel.
Old 4th September 2006, 21:43   #32
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yup.. interestiongly Diesels produce less of CO per kg of emission BUT ... their comresssion ratio's are double and engine sizes normally more... result in equal amount of CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
An idling automotive engine's exhaust contains 2% to 10% carbon monoxide anyway
As per http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.html
an euro 2 compliant engine produces less than 0.25% of CO... and almost same for euro 3.

The catalytic converters in cars are just there to take care of CO.... so all those who remove it are actually removing a safety equipment.
Old 5th September 2006, 06:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
Friends:

Found an interesting website.

http://www.CarbonMonoxideKills.com

Ram
whilt going thru baby-safing tips for my new born, i was advised to install this in my house. I think CO poisoning is quit common, and it's worth installing gadgets like these.....car manufacturers shud think over it.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp146412_3...e_detector.htm
Old 13th September 2006, 12:07   #34
Team-BHP Support

Police claim that they have cracked the case.
A missing rubber seal inside the boot led to the compartment filling with CO.
They believe that this seal is removed when car is given for washing to drain water. They guy forgot to replace the seal,
Hyundai has refuted that and said this could not be the case, and exaust gases cannot enter through that.
Police say AC was off as the car was submerged but the blower was working.
Old 13th September 2006, 17:52   #35
BHPian

When it comes to using the AC, its a best practice as revharder mentions to leave the window a little open. When its heavily raining and i cant really open the windows, what i practice on the Alto is that I make sure that atleast once in every 10 - 15 mins for about 30 seconds to open the outside-air-inside option, so that the air inside the vehicle is kind of recycled with fresh air.

And believe me this really helps you drive better. It may reduce the coolilng effect for a while and the AC will need to work harder may be to get the air cooled, but whats better, money or life!!!
Old 13th September 2006, 18:04   #36
BHPian

Guys.. Cant it be the food from the place where they had gone for dinner ??
Old 13th September 2006, 18:23   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie
Guys.. Cant it be the food from the place where they had gone for dinner ??
Unless the food caused such a reaction that all four started farting CO, I really doubt that
Old 13th September 2006, 20:31   #38
BHPian

ram,u have been spot on with ur knowledge about co.

As i was going through one of medicine book, accidental exposure to automobile exhaust has been written as the 1st cause of co poisoining apart from few others.

Intial symptoms r mainly dizziness,headache,abd pain and nausea and then confusion,dyspnoea and syncope with higher levels.Hypotension,coma and seizures r common with even higher levels of carboxyhaemoglobin.

But i cant digest the fact that four of them failed to feel above symptoms at same time and then died one by one.Atleast one of them, especially adults, could have noticed something different or seen their kids falling to sleep easily and not responding as pointed by someone here.
Adults could have tolerated few symptoms but no parents would like to sit idle if their children start having nausea,abdominal pain or even headache,and mind u these r early symptoms.

I am not sure whether forensic report (viscera) has come or not but it may clear quite a few doubts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks