Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2006, 16:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Andre Agassi - Bad Boy of Tennis to a Living legend.

Andre Agassi retired from professional tennis after his 3rd round loss to a qualifier named B.Becker and I'm quite sad that he retired.

For me he was the best - Yes I agree that Pete Sampras was a better allround player than Agassi but did Sampras win the French Open ? Agassi won the Wimbledon in 1992 (though he is a baseliner) when no one gave him a chance and that too against one of the best servers ever seen in Mens professional tennis.I guess a lot of guys were influenced by him to keep their hair long. Quite a Style icon he was in his younger days.

Agassi had this flamboyant image - when he burst on the scene. Colourful clothing , long hair , earrings dangling , dating Brooke Shields , travelling by his own jet - he was quite a wild guy but I guess after the Wimbledon win he started his rise upwards towards becoming a LEGEND.

His battles with Sampras and Becker and Ivanisevic are classics. 8 Grand Slam Titles in his career. He was a fighter to the end , proof is when he battled and defeated much younger players to reach the finals in 2005 of the US open.

He got married to Steffi Graf , has 2 kids , fans all over the world love him - I mean what else could he have asked for ?

I gave a standing ovation to this great player yesterday night alaongwith the crowd at Flushing Meadows and the ovation simply refused to stop.

Thanks Agassi - I have enjoyed watching you play tennis. May you have a great life ahead.
Old 4th September 2006, 17:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

One of those players whom I really enjoyed watching. I know Pete Sampras was the best in that era, but my heart always felt for Becker and Agassi. I used to have a tough time supporting someone when they played against each other.

To me, the Wimbeldon finals b'ween Agassi and Goran Ivanisevic is one of the best matches I have ever had the privelege of watching. Goran's terrific serve and Agassi's wonderful return of serves was a treat to watch.

This man has seen everything. He was amongst the first few ranked players in the world, then plummeted to an all time low of 130+ and rose like a phoenix again.

Agassi, I really miss you. Thanks for your wonderful effort all these years. I am hoping that Agassi and Graf's kids can prove to be good tennis players, with such parents.
Old 4th September 2006, 18:03   #3
BHPian

I agree with both of u.He wa a real fighter and he showed it in the US open which he was playing.I saw his all 3 matches and he showed how tough he is at the age of 36.
We all know how good player he was but apart from that he is also very good human being mained without any controversy though he was iconfor youthsProbablyhe was the 1st one to stsrt playing with coloured cloths though he later shifted to white.
Old 4th September 2006, 19:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

He was the player who inspired me to take up tennis at school and what a player he was. A joy to watch especially his return of serves which were reckoned to be the best in the world. I know most people put Sampras above him but for me Agassi was & will be my favourite.

His resurgence after injuries & poor form dropping him to 130-140 ranking levels was & is an inspiration for all of us.
Old 4th September 2006, 20:51   #5
BANNED

Hey NC ... I agree with you on almost everything -- this guy was a real idol for a whole generation and he will be sorely missed . I used to luv his hair do's and the bad boy attitude , though these changed pretty soon when he was made to realise that he cud be more than just a ROCK STAR on the Tennis court ...

I guess tennis will not be the same anymore .... maybe the newer generation will grow to luv the likes of Nadal and there will start another MS vs AS debate .. lol !!!

GUD BYE AGASSI ...................

Cheers
Old 5th September 2006, 01:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
I guess a lot of guys were influenced by him to keep their hair long. Quite a Style icon he was in his younger days.
you said it pal, remember having an all Nike kit back in school days, atleast for the tournaments and stuff.
Like everyone else has already mentioned, he had much more of an impact on the game than sampras even though pete was a slightly better player. I think pete's professionalism gave him that slight advantage et all.
Along with agassi, becker and edberg were close childhood favourites.
Don't follow tennis since a few years now though, infact havent followed it as well as any of you guys ever.

manson.

Most Viewed