Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 00:38   #1
BHPian

A1 vs A2 Cow Milk?

Guys want suggestions on quality of cow milk .From my limited knowledge what I understand is the following.

Commercially available milk is A1 milk as it comes from JERSY /HOLSTEIN or Cross bred cows as this cows tend to give more milk.

Cross-bred cows give A1 milk, which is extremely harmful to your health. Since the Europeans bred these cows for meat production, they did not care about the quality of their milk. Shockingly, most Indians do not know this fact and consume a large quantity of toxic A1 milk every day.

When you drink A1 milk, your body breaks it down and produces a compound called beta casomorphin-7, which is very harmful to your health. The compound causes inflammatory reactions in the body, weakens your immune system, affects normal hormonal functions, and increases the risk of several diseases including heart disease.

Most importantly, regular consumption of A1 milk could increase the risk of autism and learning disabilities in children considerably. In our country, where children drink a glass of milk every single day as part of their diet, this is nothing but a recipe for disaster!

Native breeds, on the other hand, give A2 milk, which is highly nutritious. The milk is a rich source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and a large number of vitamins, minerals, and vital nutrients. Studies show that regular consumption of A2 milk can strengthen your immune system, improve eye sight, and boost the production of healthy cells and connective tissues. Also, it is an excellent anti-oxidant, which reduces inflammation in your body and lowers the risk of auto-immune disorders greatly.

One of the amazing qualities of native breeds is that they are resistant to a variety of diseases.

Popular Native Breeds
Some of the most popular native breed cows are Gir, Kankrej, Tharparkar, Vechur, Rati, Amrit Mahal, Kangayam, Sindhi, Hariana, Sahiwal, and Ongole. All these breeds are known for their high milk yielding capacity and disease-resistant quality. Particularly, five native breeds – Red Sindhi, Sahiwal, Rathi, Gir, and Tharparkar – are considered the very best breeds due to the exceptionally high nutritious value of their milk.

How to Identify a Native Cow Breed? A native cow has a distinctly different look from a cross-bred variety.

Look for the following signs when you are buying a native cow.
• A hump on the shoulder
• Long ears
• A large flap of skin beneath the neck
• Suryaketu nerve on the back (It is said to be a divine gift which helps the cow absorb the medicinal qualities from the atmosphere)

Now the question arises, how does one have Pure A2 milk in city conditions?

Source -http://www.humhongekamyab.in/nativebreedcow.php

Moderator—I could not find any relevant existing thread on this discussion. If you find any relevant thread, please merge.I find this subject very important as it affects our day to day life. In case you feel Subject is irrelevant, please delete the post.
vishal9999 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 10:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A1 vs A2 Cow Milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Guys want suggestions on quality of cow milk .From my limited knowledge what I understand is the following.
vishal9999, I can understand that you want to consume only healthy foods.
While people who consume only A2 milk may be less likely to get affected by a few diseases, it doesn't mean that A1 milk is toxic.
You write (or may I say, "you quote") as though we are drinking 1 glass of poison everyday; which is not the case.

Some points which you must know if you already do not know:
  • This whole A1 Vs A2 topic was brought by a research funded by a company called A2 Milk company founded in NZ. They even petitioned the Food Standards Australia New Zealand regulatory authority to require a health warning on ordinary milk. They say that A1 milk, when digested produces high amount of BCM-7.
  • While no direct causal relationships have been demonstrated between BCM-7 and these diseases due to a wide range of contributing factors for each illness, BCM-7 has been linked to type 1 diabetes, heart disease, autism, and other serious non-communicable diseases as well.
  • The results also suggest that drinking A2 milk instead of A1 milk could reduce the symptoms of many diseases. But there's a lot more research that needs to be done to support these claims.
  • In 2009 European Food Safety Authority has issued a statement that there is no link between A1 milk and the diseases

Cow's milk can be either Pure A1 or A1/A2 or Pure A2. Jersey cow gives A1/A2 milk with 1/3rd A1 and 2/3rd A2. Holstein cow milk has equal amounts of A1 and A2 in its milk.

So if you really want A2 milk then you must drink Goat's milk-Becuase Goat's milk and human milk are pure A2 it seems.
Any Indian city however big it might be, will still have milkmen delivering milk. You should find one in your city and ask for Goat's milk.

So, I feel that it is more to do with marketing, promotion and sales than Science. Its up to you to decide how seriously you want to take such studies

PS: I'm no scientist or a researcher in this field. My source of information are the following websites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_milk

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...2-milk-america

http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/a1-...-cow-milk.html
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Forget A1/A2 etc.

With all the antibiotics and detergents mixed into our milk, is it even safe to drink any milk at all?
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 11:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

perhaps a list of brands that use A1 and A2 cow milk would be helpful
Old 24th August 2015, 12:15   #5
BHPian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A2_milk

As per Wikipedia link, A2 milk is a product promoted by A2 milk company in New Zealand. In India,the native Indian milk promoters had given a separate outlook to this, which our Team BHP member vishal999 wants to emphasize on.

Basically, cow milk is not digestible for human adults. The fats in cow milk promote heart as well as other health problems. Whereas,the 'desi milk',which is obtained from Indian breed of cows have proteins which actually help in digesting the milk. A1 and A2 are separate proteins found in the hybrid and Indian breed respectively.

All said, what is given to the cow also results in the milk ingredients. If the cows are given natural products and good water, we may get pesticide free milk.

A link which supports Indian Brand of cows.
http://pasuthai.com/blog/desi-cow-benefits/

A company that is providing milk from the Indian breed is TDM.Link below.
https://teamdesimilk.wordpress.com/

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2015 at 13:03. Reason: Language
commonman is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th August 2015, 12:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is entirely hot air fed by two things - 1. A particular manufacturing company back in the 1990s and 2. More recently, it has been raked up in India by a faction that wants to promote "desi" breeds as being somehow more indian than the jersey, holstein etc cows that are also reared in India since decades, and various nationalistic "activist" types on social media have added the "shudh desi gau-mata vs evil phoren cows" theme to it all.

This paper published by the US NIH debunked the A1 / A2 distinction long ago when the NZ company was marketing it. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15867940

Further research over several decades in India has also debunked it conclusively - and in fact points out that most cows, even the indianized (as in crossbred to local breeds over the decades) jersey etc cows, as well as all local varieties of Buffalo, predominantly carry the A2 allele. And besides they also point out that the A1 A2 distinction is pure nonsense spread by "activists" on social media.

http://www.vethelplineindia.co.in/a1...vant-to-india/
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 15:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A1 vs A2 Cow Milk?

Oh?
I thought this was an Audi thread!

But anyway, I think we have more of a problem of getting milk to people first, and then worry about A1/A2/Q7 milk. And to be fair, this is the first time I've heard of this.All research points to it being hokey, though.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 16:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Commercially available milk is A1 milk as it comes from JERSY /HOLSTEIN or Cross bred cows as this cows tend to give more milk.
Is this a scientifically proven matter, do you have any reference to this? Just curious.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:09   #9
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

As someone told me recently the entire food chain is affected by harmful chemicals now so the one ray of hope is to grow fruits and vegetables organically (and follow organic dairy farming principles as well for milk and milk products). As we all know, this is easier said than done in these times. Some people are doing a lot of these things on a smaller scale and this probably needs to be replicated in other places, simply means it needs very strong willed communities to get together.
Oh and I know several people who've turned vegan so that they can completely avoid the suspect milk and milk products

Last edited by NPV : 24th August 2015 at 18:11.
Old 24th August 2015, 18:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Shockingly, most Indians do not know this fact and consume a large quantity of toxic A1 milk every day. ...
I have lived out most of my allotted quota of years, and I don't think I am substantially damaged (my mother and wife may have a different opinion). First my mother insisted on a glass of milk twice a day for 30 years, then my wife continued that by giving me a patiala peg every night for the next 30. I guess I am a living-walking-talking Toxic Man now!

Is there A1/A2/A1A2 in buffalo milk too? The first 30 years were buffalo milk for me!

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2015 at 15:43. Reason: Quoted post deleted
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 19:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

It is completely unnatural for humans to drink milk from other animals. Human milk to tailored for humans; cow milk is tailored for cows.

Having said that, I drink it anyway. Each to their own decision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Forget A1/A2 etc.

With all the antibiotics and detergents mixed into our milk, is it even safe to drink any milk at all?
Very true. Also, I certainly will not buy local city-cow milk from the local milkman, when I see what the cows on the streets are eating

Last edited by GTO : 26th August 2015 at 15:43. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 19:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Oh and I know several people who've turned vegan so that they can completely avoid the suspect milk and milk products
Of course. So intake remains restricted to pesticide, and (even with whatever passes for organic farming), heavy metals / minerals from nearby factories / groundwater pollution etc that leach into the fruits and veggies from soil contamination etc etc.

Not to mention a serious amount of calcium, vitamin D etc deficiency that can't all be made up with eating various vegetables instead of meat and dairy products.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 19:52   #13
BHPian

Hi,

If you need scientific evidence and all other info on A1 A2 milk, read this

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in/201...cows-with.html

I would recommend some patience if you decide on thinking the writer is a nut!

This blogger was arrested on a complaint by a very famous Khan!

Regards
Shailesh
Old 24th August 2015, 19:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It is completely unnatural for humans to drink milk from other animals. Human milk to tailored for humans; cow milk is tailored for cows.
The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Old 24th August 2015, 20:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Oh, vadakayil. Yeah. Right. Here is some more of his 'science' (!!!)

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in/201...ntra-capt.html

http://ajitvadakayil.blogspot.in/201...ini-after.html
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks