Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2015, 08:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Got a detailed SMS from Bharat Petroleum after filling fuel - How?

During my Bangalore-Trivandrum drives, I have experienced similar stuff in fuel stations after Salem. Whenever I pay using credit card, they used to take my mobile number and jot it down on the merchant copy of the credit card slip. When asked, I was told that that they have been instructed to note down the mobile numbers of all customers who pay by card to facilitate any communication later on in case of any disputes or complaints of credit card misuse. I have obliged every time and found that this happens in most fuel stations after Salem and before Kovilpatti/Madurai on the highway, irrespective of the company.
Old 13th September 2015, 18:19   #17
BHPian

This is a feature of automation and is available at select retail outlets (mostly on highways, city areas). Data for this is requested from customer by retail outlet staff which includes mandatory details like name, vehicle number, and phone number, email is optional. Although if you do provide email you would receive a message like this along with a sms text having the same content on your mobile as well:

Got a detailed SMS from Bharat Petroleum after filling fuel - How?-thumb_screen-shot-20150913-17.54.21_1024.jpg

This service is purely optional and data for this is not collected thru third parties as discussed in previous posts. The data is collected strictly from the customers alone (Although it might be possible that your family/friends share this detail at the outlets). At one time you can get as many vehicles registered against a single mobile number (Useful for large fleet owners). Once the data is in system, you will get sms/email every time you fuel with automated BPCL outlet provided the staff at the outlet provides you bill with your vehicle number.
The service is basically to bring transparency in the system and provide assurance to the customer (The same way you get after doing any electronic payment transaction). This helps a lot for chauffeur driven vehicles as well as keeping a tally of your fuelling details (provided you consistently fuel at such automated outlets)
Old 13th September 2015, 20:26   #18
BHPian

Now i get it. Once i had filled some form at one of BPCL outlets and these details are then picked up from that information.
Thanks for the information.
Old 5th September 2016, 00:18   #19
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Fraud Alert? VM-BPCLMS SMS regarding fuel filled in vehicle even though I never filled.

So this is the second time in this week that I received an SMS from VM-BPCLMS saying :

Quote:
Thanks for fuelling 6.28Ltrs PETROL for Rs.400 in MH46W3289 at COCO BP KHARGHAR 2 in KHARGHAR. Txn Time 11:35 29/08/2016.
Quote:
Thanks for fuelling 14.93Ltrs PETROL for Rs.1000 in MH46W3289 at COCO BP KHARGHAR 2 in KHARGHAR. Txn Time 20:04 04/09/2016.
Both messages seem to be from BP, so I believe from Bhagat Petroleum and both from the same pump - Coco BP Khargar. And the surprising part is that I have not even filled petrol from there. The registration number also mentioned in the SMS is very close to that of my Xylo. The first thing I did when I saw this message was to check if I had lost my Credit/Debit card. No it wasn't lost - it was in my wallet. Next thing was to check online if any payment was made through any of them. No transaction from any of the cards.

So how come I get an SMS for :
- a transaction which I never made
- a transaction for which my card was never used
- a transaction involving another vehicle - registration number of which closely matches mine.

Has anyone received these SMS' on their mobile too?
Old 5th September 2016, 00:30   #20
BHPian

Re: Fraud Alert? VM-BPCLMS SMS regarding fuel filled in vehicle even though I never filled.

Hello sir,

I have received such SMS some time back. May be a couple of months. The message was in similar lines of yours. The car number was exactly the same with just one character wrong.
My message said that the petrol was filled at a bunk on Pune expressway. I drive a wagonR and leave aside Pune expressway my car has not even seen Thane till date.

I logged a complaint on company website and was reverted by a compliant officer who said that this message seems to be wrongly generated by their systems and closed the compliant. I did not chase it up after that.

Now there are a few dark areas which certainly need answering.

1. The car number they give in the message is almost the same as yours.

2. This vehicle is not registered in my name but in my wife's name. So how come they got my number to deliver this SMS.

3. I doubt some body is fooling their systems and earning profits by faking car numbers and pocketing the money.

I hope this was helpful. Please do let me know if you find anything on this.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 11th September 2016, 08:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So this is the second time in this week that I received an SMS from VM-BPCLMS saying :
Both messages seem to be from BP, so I believe from Bhagat Petroleum and both from the same pump - Coco BP Khargar. And the surprising part is that I have not even filled petrol from there. The registration number also mentioned in the SMS is very close to that of my Xylo.

Has anyone received these SMS' on their mobile too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Hello sir,

I have received such SMS some time back. May be a couple of months. The message was in similar lines of yours. The car number was exactly the same with just one character wrong.
My message said that the petrol was filled at a bunk on Pune expressway. I drive a wagonR and leave aside Pune expressway my car has not even seen Thane till date.

I logged a complaint on company website and was reverted by a compliant officer who said that this message seems to be wrongly generated by their systems and closed the compliant. I did not chase it up after that.

Now there are a few dark areas which certainly need answering.

2. This vehicle is not registered in my name but in my wife's name. So how come they got my number to deliver this SMS.

3. I doubt some body is fooling their systems and earning profits by faking car numbers and pocketing the money.

I hope this was helpful. Please do let me know if you find anything on this.

Regards
Dieseltuned
As per my understanding, there is no scam or no pocketing any kind of money. Your vehicle numbers must have been registered however during registration one digit might have gotten swapped.

@dieseltuned - Sir, i think while registering your vehicle for SMS your phone number might have been given thus you are getting the SMS. However, the vehicle number was not punched correctly while registering thus when the wrong numbered vehicle fuelled you got the SMS

I hope i am able to make myself clear.
Old 11th September 2016, 11:00   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
As per my understanding, there is no scam or no pocketing any kind of money. Your vehicle numbers must have been registered however during registration one digit might have gotten swapped.

Agreed on that - but how come I get a message without filling fuel from there.
Old 11th September 2016, 11:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Agreed on that - but how come I get a message without filling fuel from there.
Lets say your car number is AB12CD1234 and your phone number is 1234567890. While registering your vehicle for SMS, operator punched your vehicle number as AB12CD1235 and your correct phone number.
So next time when the 1235 car goes for refuelling you will receive the message however when the actual 1234 goes for fuelling you do not receive the message.
Old 16th September 2016, 14:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post

@dieseltuned - Sir, i think while registering your vehicle for SMS your phone number might have been given thus you are getting the SMS. However, the vehicle number was not punched correctly while registering thus when the wrong numbered vehicle fuelled you got the SMS

If you read my post correctly, this is what I have said.

"
"

I have never given my number on to the company at any of the pumps, so how do they get my number as the vehicle is not registered on my name ?

I still smell something fishy here.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks