Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2016, 11:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Were you able to purchase it before getting your licence?

Congratulations of passing the exam. Was it General or Restricted. How easy or difficult was it?

Does anyone have question sets? I have started preparing for my licence and would like to have an idea of the questions asked.
Yes, I ordered through ebay.com and it reached home, no questions asked. Maybe I got lucky.

I applied only for the Restricted Grade. If you have studied electronics for engineering, you can submit the mark sheet as proof and get exception from the electronics part of the exam. So, I had to write only the rules & regulations part, which is fairly easy and just takes a couple of days preparation.

I got some sample question papers from @bejoy. PM me your emailId and I will forward.
Old 27th June 2016, 19:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

Apparently the exams are not that easy. I have started preparing and progress is bit slow. Looks like WPC wants us to be electronics engineers rather than Ameteur Operators. Of course I did study most of the stuff for my GMDSS but this is a bit more in depth. Why do we need to be able to write a detailed description of a "Super Hetrodyne Receiver" or a "Full Wave Bridge Rectifier with and Smoothing Circuit".
Old 28th June 2016, 16:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the exams are not that easy. I have started preparing and progress is bit slow. Looks like WPC wants us to be electronics engineers rather than Ameteur Operators.......Why do we need to be able to write a detailed description of a "Super Hetrodyne Receiver" or a "Full Wave Bridge Rectifier with and Smoothing Circuit".
My understanding is that Amateur Radio is essentially a hobby for electronics engineers. I mean the real fun in the hobby is to cook up your own transmitter & receiver circuits, build your own antennas and experiment. Now since these people are actually receiving and transmitting using radio waves, some kind of licensing mechanism had to be brought in place. So this whole concept of appearing for a test and getting a license was started *. Since it is considered that the people who cleared the test would start making their own radio sets, it was found apt to test their technical knowledge as well.

The exam assumes that the person who gets the license is not a person who could just "operate" an already built-up set. And actually purchasing "off the shelf" radio sets were very tough in India, until the Chinese sets came along.

* There was a time in India when even having a radio set of a TV required a license. Perhaps during the days of "License Raj" where the worthies wanted to know who all could be actually tuning in their radios to all stations.
Old 28th June 2016, 19:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
My understanding is that Amateur Radio is essentially a hobby for electronics engineers.
I would disagree with that as a large number of non-electronics people are HAMS. Rajiv Gandhi was a HAM and so was the King of Jordan.

Quote:
I mean the real fun in the hobby is to cook up your own transmitter & receiver circuits, build your own antennas and experiment.
Agreed. But there are also a lot of people who enjoy transmitting and receiving more than building and tweaking the equipment. Just like many BHPians enjoy driving and riding more than maintaining and tweaking their rides.

Quote:
Now since these people are actually receiving and transmitting using radio waves, some kind of licensing mechanism had to be brought in place. So this whole concept of appearing for a test and getting a license was started *.
Agreed. But then the test should concentrate on ensuring that the operator knows how to operate and knows the rules and regulations. Something like a driving test. Just imagine if RTO came up with a requirement that every person appearing for a driving test has to know how to rebore an engine and memorise the sizes of pistons, valves etc.

Quote:
Since it is considered that the people who cleared the test would start making their own radio sets, it was found apt to test their technical knowledge as well.
That could be a separate test if you want to use a home brewed rig instead of buying a readymade one.

Quote:
The exam assumes that the person who gets the license is not a person who could just "operate" an already built-up set. And actually purchasing "off the shelf" radio sets were very tough in India, until the Chinese sets came along.
I have a GMDSS licence (UK). The exam did test us on certain aspects of electronics knowledge etc but the focus was on operation. The same exam in India focuses more on electronics knowledge.

Quote:
There was a time in India when even having a radio set of a TV required a license. Perhaps during the days of "License Raj" where the worthies wanted to know who all could be actually tuning in their radios to all stations.
UK still has a requirement for TV licence. Thankfully they don't have an exam for that. Just imagine if someone came up with the idea that it would be more fun to watch Top Gear on TV if you knew how a Cathode Ray Tube works and were able to draw a diagram of the working of the TV.

I really don't have a choice. I have to study the stuff if I want the licence and I am doing it. I just wanted to highlight the fact that government agencies in India don't keep up with time. Even if I want to build a rig, I can read from books or the internet. I can have charts and tables to refer to. Even Einstein said "Why waste time memorizing something you can read from a book".
Old 28th June 2016, 23:21   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco
I would disagree with that as a large number of non-electronics people are HAMS. Rajiv Gandhi was a HAM and so was the King of Jordan.
I am not denying the fact. But check about the orgins of the Radio Amateurs. They all were champs in experimenting on radio technologies. The hobby's original intention was to experiment, but since their experiments involved transmission of signals a licensing mechanism was introduced.

Quote:
But then the test should concentrate on ensuring that the operator knows how to operate and knows the rules and regulations. Something like a driving test.
The Indian Telegraph Act,1885 defines - "`Amateur service' means a service of self training, inter-communication and technical investigations carried on by amateurs that is, by persons duly authorised under these rules interested in radio technique solely with a
personal aim and without pecuniary interest"
. I feel this is the difference between GMDSS and HAM radio. Or even for that matter ATC staff and HAM operators. GMDSS and ATC related exams ensure that the trainee is an expert on the procedures. He would not be called to sit and repair/maintain wireless sets as there would be another competent person to do that. In case of Amateur Radio, it is the operator who does this work as well.

Quote:
That could be a separate test if you want to use a home brewed rig instead of buying a readymade one.
The counter argument would be that, if some one wants to operate a wireless set with no licensing etc he should go with CB radio. CB radio is allowed in India, but it is on 27Mhz band.

Quote:
I have a GMDSS licence (UK). The exam did test us on certain aspects of electronics knowledge etc but the focus was on operation. The same exam in India focuses more on electronics knowledge.
WPC conducts exams for future Air Traffic Controllers. And I think they do the certification for GMDSS as well. Infact in India, WPC I guess is the only agency who works on licensing (for radio operators). My gut feeling is that for ATC and GMDSS exams in India, the syllabus would be more focusing on the operational aspect of it. Where as Amateur radio licensing still requires the person trying to qualify to pass a technical test.

Quote:
UK still has a requirement for TV licence.
And my understanding is that the funds generated through this goes in supporting the BBC. BBC still has some channels which still does not have a single advertisement shown (which means they do not get any revenue on that count).

Quote:
I just wanted to highlight the fact that government agencies in India don't keep up with time.
Just did a bit of googling on Amateur Radio operator licensing in UK
http://rsgb.org/main/faq-2/how-to-be...o-amateur-faq/
http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Onl...ng_19.html#a89 (This is a guide book which a chap has to mug up to qualify for the simplest of the licenses. Topics covered include "technical basics, receivers, transmitters and antennas").
Old 29th June 2016, 02:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I am not denying the fact. But check about the orgins of the Radio Amateurs. They all were champs in experimenting on radio technologies. The hobby's original intention was to experiment, but since their experiments involved transmission of signals a licensing mechanism was introduced.
I'm not trying to start an argument (abiding by the code of conduct for HAM's ). This was in the old days when there was no internet. To keep Radio alive, it would be nice if they made it easier to become a HAM.

Quote:
GMDSS and ATC related exams ensure that the trainee is an expert on the procedures. He would not be called to sit and repair/maintain wireless sets as there would be another competent person to do that.
GMDSS gives companies / ship owners 3 options:
1. On board maintenance.
2. Shore based maintenance contract (the most widely used option).
3. Duplication of equipment.

Quote:
WPC conducts exams for future Air Traffic Controllers. And I think they do the certification for GMDSS as well. Infact in India, WPC I guess is the only agency who works on licensing (for radio operators). My gut feeling is that for ATC and GMDSS exams in India, the syllabus would be more focusing on the operational aspect of it.
WPC conducts GMDSS. They do have a technical test too. Very similar to HAM. I did the UK GMDSS which lays more emphasis on the operational aspect as compared to the Indian GMDSS which lays slightly more emphasis on technical aspects.

Quote:
And my understanding is that the funds generated through this goes in supporting the BBC. BBC still has some channels which still does not have a single advertisement shown (which means they do not get any revenue on that count).
Beleive me thos programmes are not vey exciting. Doordarshan is much better.

Quote:
Just did a bit of googling on Amateur Radio operator licensing in UK
http://rsgb.org/main/faq-2/how-to-be...o-amateur-faq/
http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Onl...ng_19.html#a89 (This is a guide book which a chap has to mug up to qualify for the simplest of the licenses. Topics covered include "technical basics, receivers, transmitters and antennas").
Thanks for the links. Will go through them. I have also downloaded stuff from the US and Singapore. Ultimately I will have to make sure I am well versed with the Indian stuff.
Old 12th August 2016, 00:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Vu3iyr

Happy to share that I got my license today with the call sign: VU3IYR
A special shout out to Bejoy for all the help.
Old 12th August 2016, 07:20   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vu3iyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Congrats, India Yankee Romeo. Hope to see you "on air" soon. VHF net at Bangalore, 0700-0730Hrs and 2000-2030Hrs every day on 145.650Mhz (-ve shift).
Old 12th August 2016, 07:44   #69
BHPian

Re: Vu3iyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Congrats VU3IYR! That was pretty "fast"

Glad that I could be of help. Lets catchup on the air.
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:47   #70
BHPian

Radio Amateurs in the news.

http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/m...w/55544274.cms

Quote:
Mumbai: Amateur radio operators, also known as ham radio buffs, in Mumbai were baffled by unidentified mystery signal transmissions reportedly originating from the Arabian Sea on the country's west coast, an operator said here on Monday.

Though the signals have been picked up by their VHF wireless radios since the past five months or so, they became suspicious after they tracked them down to the deep sea off Maharashtra-Gujarat coasts, said Ham Radio Operators Mumbai spokesperson Ankur Puranik.

"We have written to the Wireless Advisor, Ministry of Telecommunications and IT, with copies to the PMO, other ministries, and top defence and police officials to take note and investigate these unknown signals," Puranik told IANS.

They sent the memorandum to the Centre after analysing the signals with their direction-finding equipment and antennae and were alarmed to learn they originated around 100 nautical miles in the high seas off the Maharashtra-Gujarat coast.

"They are encroaching on our allotted bandwidth 144-146MHz for our two-way radio, they don't use the compulsory 'call sign' by which each ham radio operator in the world can be identified and tracked, and they speak in a language we can't understand," Puranik explained.

The amateur radio operators did not rule out the wireless signals originating from some anti-social elements or sea pirates or other groups with possible nefarious motives.

Around 70 of the 200 amateur radio operators in Mumbai have heard these unknown signals at various times of the day, and mostly at night and they still continue.

Puranik claimed that the unidentified operators could be using high-power wireless sets in the range of 25Watts-50Watts and their signals may be propagated many hundreds of nautical miles to other Indian coastal areas or some neighbouring countries.

"We believe that they are using open-band wireless sets which can tune in to or transit in any frequency in the VHF band between 136-174MHz. Some of these frequencies may be falling in the bands used by the Indian government and security agencies," he said.

In the memo, they have urged the Centre to check out dealers of Marine Radio Equipment in India and the radio licences of all fishing vessels to ascertain if the mystery operators have acquired their equipment from illegal sources.

Besides, they have also drawn the Centre's attention to the unauthorized sale of two-way radio sets on various online sites, shopping sites and other internet marketing outlets which are flouting Indian laws.
Old 2nd December 2016, 15:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Answered my exam today. Applied for both Restricted and General. The exam was common with the Restricted candidates having to answer only the first 25 questions in each section. General candidates has to answer all 50 plus Morse. I had done absolutely no preparation so did not attempt Morse. I however attempted all questions in both sections. I hope I get the restricted at least.
The oldest candidate was a 79 year old retired Air Traffic Controller and was youngest was the 16 year old daughter of a long time HAM.
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:02   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Answered my exam today. Applied for both Restricted and General. The exam was common with the Restricted candidates having to answer only the first 25 questions in each section. General candidates has to answer all 50 plus Morse. I had done absolutely no preparation so did not attempt Morse. I however attempted all questions in both sections. I hope I get the restricted at least.
The oldest candidate was a 79 year old retired Air Traffic Controller and was youngest was the 16 year old daughter of a long time HAM.
All the best Peter. Have you gotten your hands on any radio yet?
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:10   #73
BHPian

How much of a delay should be expected between clearing the exam and getting the call sign allocated?
Is prior police verification still mandatory?
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:34   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Answered my exam today.
Congrats Peter! Hope you get your license soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
How much of a delay should be expected between clearing the exam and getting the call sign allocated?
Is prior police verification still mandatory?
The best I heard was 5 months. Folks in Kochi had attended in April and got their license in September. But it varies with the location. No police verification anymore.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The best I heard was 5 months. Folks in Kochi had attended in April and got their license in September. But it varies with the location. No police verification anymore.
Thanks Bejoy, that's good news! The exam has been a pending task for quite some time, need to work towards that now.

Most Viewed