Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2016, 15:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Congrats Peter!
I've have just answered, not cleared the exam but thanks anyway. Also thanks for all the help in getting me started on the whole HAM exam thing.

Quote:
Hope you get your license soon!
Hoping to clear and get it. Let's see. Anyways I am going to continue preparing (for 2nd attempt if I fail or for General Grade if I pass).
Old 9th January 2017, 12:07   #77
Senior - BHPian

Just got my results today. Cleared Restricted Grade. I had applied for both Restricted as well as General Grades. However was too busy so didn't get time to practice Morse. I answered the theory though just for the heck of it. Theory paper was common with 50 questions. Restricted Grade candidates needed to answer only the first 25. If you need the Restricted Licence you need to get the pass percentage within the first 25 questions.
Old 9th January 2017, 13:29   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Just got my results today. Cleared Restricted Grade. I had applied for both Restricted as well as General Grades. However was too busy so didn't get time to practice Morse. I answered the theory though just for the heck of it. Theory paper was common with 50 questions. Restricted Grade candidates needed to answer only the first 25. If you need the Restricted Licence you need to get the pass percentage within the first 25 questions.
Congrats Peter! And that was pretty fast. Hope you get your callsign soon!
Old 9th January 2017, 15:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Congrats Peter! And that was pretty fast. Hope you get your callsign soon!
Thanks. Also thanks for the application format and the material you sent when I was preparing. Now waiting for the notification to apply for the licence. Will fill the forms and keep ready as I am joining ship shortly. Will hand over to someone who is also applying so it can be done in my absence.
Old 9th January 2017, 19:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got my results today. Cleared Restricted Grade.
Congrats Peter. Hope to see a nice radio on the Beemer soon Do let me know if you need the callsign application format or other details.

I got a semi-permanant setup in my car this weekend.
The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread-hammount.jpg
Old 9th January 2017, 21:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Congrats Peter.
Thanks

Quote:
Hope to see a nice radio on the Beemer soon
Let's see

Quote:
Do let me know if you need the callsign application format or other details.
Thanks. Bejoy has already forwarded me the word file.

Quote:
Don't you need to get your licence endorsed for Mobile use. I read somewhere that some permission needs to be taken and you Call sign gets a "M" suffix.
Old 10th January 2017, 00:11   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you need to get your licence endorsed for Mobile use. I read somewhere that some permission needs to be taken and you Call sign gets a "M" suffix.
Technically yes, but from what came to know from other people is that the rule is not strictly enforced.
Old 10th January 2017, 11:09   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per rule, application to operate "Mobile" needs to be filed in advance. And it is only given for a specific time duration. Once that application is granted, the call sign would change to "Existing Call Sign+M". But it is not strongly enforced. Amateur radio groups have been trying to get this restriction lifted as well.

Quote:
Try to get an external antenna mounted as well. You could wire up the antenna cable through the black mount which is holding the wireless set. The default antenna may not work well, as it is inside the car.
Old 10th January 2017, 15:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Try to get an external antenna mounted as well. You could wire up the antenna cable through the black mount which is holding the wireless set. The default antenna may not work well, as it is inside the car.
This is a diamond after market antenna, not the default rubber ducky. Working decently well to hit the local repeater. I connected to yesterday's evening net using this setup only.

I already have an external mag mount antenna. Have to go to an accessory shop to get the wire properly routed under the trim. Another concern is the safety of the antenna. Since it is a mag mount, anyone can easily flick it.
Old 10th January 2017, 16:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I already have an external mag mount antenna. Have to go to an accessory shop to get the wire properly routed under the trim. Another concern is the safety of the antenna. Since it is a mag mount, anyone can easily flick it.
What I have is a "lip mount" onto which I have the standard SO 239 socket (from where the cable goes to the radio). The advantage is that I can remove the 1/4 quarter wave antenna from the mag-mount base and fix it to the "lip mounted" one. This I use in city, especially where parking is usually in the basement. For longer rides (and better reception) I remove this one and fix a 4/5 which antenna which also works fine.

One thing about these antennas. Dummy antennas have become so common that, I feel now nobody would try to flick these. As it is a common thing now. I have seen some people mounting the antennas in such a way that the vehicle gets an "official" look . In such cases, I check if the antenna has a cable going into the vehicle. 99.9%, that would not be the case.
Old 11th January 2017, 21:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
What I have is a "lip mount" onto which I have the standard SO 239 socket (from where the cable goes to the radio). The advantage is that I can remove the 1/4 quarter wave antenna from the mag-mount base and fix it to the "lip mounted" one. This I use in city, especially where parking is usually in the basement. For longer rides (and better reception) I remove this one and fix a 4/5 which antenna which also works fine.

One thing about these antennas. Dummy antennas have become so common that, I feel now nobody would try to flick these. As it is a common thing now. I have seen some people mounting the antennas in such a way that the vehicle gets an "official" look . In such cases, I check if the antenna has a cable going into the vehicle. 99.9%, that would not be the case.
The lip mount will not look good in a sedan like verna. And I can't pull off the official look either. So went with the mag mount. BTW, Is is a place to source mounts and antennas locally?
Old 12th January 2017, 10:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The lip mount will not look good in a sedan like verna. And I can't pull off the official look either. So went with the mag mount. BTW, Is is a place to source mounts and antennas locally?
There is. Actually HAM Festivals are a good option for that. You get multiple options/vendors.
Old 6th February 2017, 13:47   #88
BHPian

Cleared the restricted grade and got my call-sign:VU3OVH. Now need to get a good radio, looking for a good hand-held. Any recommendations ?
Old 6th February 2017, 14:44   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Cleared the restricted grade and got my call-sign:VU3OVH. Now need to get a good radio, looking for a good hand-held. Any recommendations ?
My first HAM radio was Wouxun KG-UVD1P. I bought it some where in 2011, and he has been putting up a jolly good show all these six years. Chinese products are not really known for their reliability but this set is an exception.

The set also covers the HAM band in both VHF and UHF (usage HAM band in UHF, is very limited though).

The price for these Chinese radios are much lesser when compared to more established brands like Kenwood, Motorola etc.
Old 7th February 2017, 12:18   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Congrats Raghu!

As Sachin mentioned, a Wouxun or Baofeng offers good VFM. I too use a Baofeng for the last 5 years without any trouble.

If you have space on your terrace, you could put up a dipole antenna for HF (40m/20m) and let your signals cross continents! Have a look at http://www.hfsigs.com/ for a fully functional radio for the 40m band. PM me if you need more info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks