Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How many hours everyday do you spend in your office?
2 1 1.19%
4 3 3.57%
6 7 8.33%
8 15 17.86%
10 42 50.00%
12 12 14.29%
14 or greater 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 12:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
BTW is there a legal limit to how many hours somebody can work in an office?
In India, rules are meant to be broken.. so never mind
Old 12th September 2006, 13:11   #32
BHPian

Leave for office at 6:45 a.m., reach back home by 9:30 p.m. Reason for such loonnnnggg hours: Only one: Hosur Road.

(Blore folks will empathize with me)
Old 12th September 2006, 13:49   #33
BHPian

hmmmmmmmm If I consider Team BHP browsing etc etc, then it would be 10+ hours else, 9-10 hours for work...
Old 12th September 2006, 14:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
BTW is there a legal limit to how many hours somebody can work in an office?
Even if there is some law, there are loopholes, --- and I'm not talking
about India here ! In US there is a concept of "exempt employees",
where such employees are "exempted" from the usual legal limits !
Old 12th September 2006, 19:36   #35
BHPian

For most Indian IT companies, spending 10 hours in office is pretty standard now. Although people rarely do "actual" work more than 4 hours a day.
What pisses me off that most companies in India maintain a notion that if you not staying late in office, you are not actually working.
Working smarter is better than working harder
Old 12th September 2006, 20:58   #36
BHPian

Tech's Sound But TRUE Advice Backed by Chief of India's Top IT Company - Infosys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

Originally Posted by GTO
Gods given us 24 hours in a day. All it requires is planning to make the most of it.

My segregation is simple:

8 Hours : Work
8 Hours : Sleep
8 Hours : Fun.

My funda is the same too !
If you are spending more than 8 hours in office, you are
1. Doing charity(unless its your own company) since IT people dont get overtime
2. Cheating with your own life,

I have also noticed that earlier in my bachlerhood days I used to spend even 12 hours at office on many days. But after good planning now I can finish more amount of work in half the time.

Reading by the posts by so many distinguished men, I agree with GTO and tsk1979 and I am not amazed at seeing the Indian men sweating out so much in office. The more your awareness grows you tend to find better use for your time. Actually it is the mentality of Indian men who work extra hours to show others, show their bosses, their wives, their children... pity they do not know that the company for whom they work so much will never stand by them in their times of need. When your days are bad then it will be only your family which will stand by you for whom you all are not pulling out time. Remember that life is one track. Whatever days were lost are lost forever. Whatever time you could spend with your loved ones in your family will never come back. Repeat, WILL NEVER COME BACK. And I mean it. You could have gone out for evenings with your wives, your children, spent time on long drives in your dream car and played golf or billiards or watched movies, went to shopping or just plane ate gol gappas with your wife at the mall.... There are so many things to do.

And my awareness came when I see that in most countries leaving aside some people, many people enjoy life. Office and Work is for your life and not vice versa. They come at 10 or 11. Have coffee, talk with teams, do some work. Go out for lunch at 12.30. Come back. Answer a few emails, go to Gym or to cafeteria and attend telecons or meetings with managers / take interviews etc. And then leave by 4.30 p.m. And the entire evening they spend with their families. Of course when work pressure is very high then they sweat it out but it is not always, whereas we Indians make it like ' Agar yeh Aaj Nahin Hua to pata nahin kya hoga'. I tell you many Americans and Europeans laugh at Indian's mentality. Anything which they cannot do; that process migrates to India. And they want Indians to work like donkeys. It's time that we took a stand and started to make a work culture where we have even work load.

My office timings : are from 8.15 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. And are back at home by 5.15 p.m. in our own car. So there is pretty a lot to do. Go out with wife, take children out, take parents to a new restaurant, check out the new malls and so on... Our weekends are also off. We get almost 150 days off in a year. And even in office, our actual work is only 6 hours. But that 6 hours we work hard. This kind of culture is purely American and there are very few companies in India which follow that. And it's mostly these companies which are the best companies to work for. So check out, think when you are alone, as to what are you gaining and what are you losing? But I do admit that when there is work we put more hours but at most till 7 p.m. And in such times, we also work from home. It's not necessary to come to office as well. So many people who work for US teams work from home. And as families grow, so do your responsibilities. So when your little 3 yrs daughter is ablaze with fever and does not know what's happening, that poor thing looks longingly or cries in awe, so the father is there to hold her and then get back to work all at home. How many companies promote this kind of environment?

Most People who work for 10-12 hours are actually spending more resources of the company and their company is losing money because of these employees who work for only 4 hours and show 13 hours. Their bosses need to check what's happening in his teams.

Life is precious. Do not lose all at just work and remember, that companies are nobody's. It's the family, our folks who are genuinely ours and who love us. And do you know what Family means ? It stands for (F)ather (A)nd (M)other (I) (L)ove (Y)ou. Your children wish you to be back at home and honestly they need you more than your boss needs you at your sulking Indian IT company's and other Indian companies sick mentality office. And remember that we are to blame, nobody else is to blame.

And lastly I am adding the below note which was forwarded to our team by our manager. Yes our manager. But when there is work he works late else he too leaves by 5.00 p.m. But we also have the culture of work from home. This is purely American work style. Because with a laptop and internet connection you can work from anywhere. And especially if you are working in a global company then it hardly matters whether you are in office or at home. At the end of the day it's your output that matters. Whether you work for 4 hours or 20 hours. And to me and smart bosses, 4 hours of work with right output is better than 20 hours of work a day with no output and that too at the company's expense of AC etc. In some companies, ACs and lights are shut off and nobody is allowed in office on Saturdays and Sundays. So which company are you working for today?

Here is the message forwarded by our manager. It's a note sent by India's top IT company's head Narayana Murthy. And it amazes me that many people here that working 10-12 hours a day is a norm in Indian IT companies. I would say leave such companies. And create a proper work culture and save resources.

Narayana Murthy's views on staying late in the office

It's half past 8 in the office

but the lights are still on...

PCs still running,

coffee machines still buzzing...

and who's at work?

Most of them??? Take a closer look...

All or most specimens are 20-something male species of the human race...

Look closer... again all or most of them are bachelors...

and why are they sitting late? Working hard? No way!!!

Any guesses???

Let's ask one of them...

Here's what he says... "What's there 2 do after going home... here we get to surf, AC, phone, food, coffee.. thats is why I am working late... importantly no bossssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the scene in most research centres and software companies and other off-shore offices.

Bachelors "time-passing" during late hours in the office just bcoz they say they've nothing else to do...

Now what r the consequences... read on...

"Working"(for the record only) late hours soon becomes part of the institute or company culture.

With bosses more than eager to provide support to those "working" late in the form of taxi vouchers, food vouchers and of course good feedback,(oh, he's a hard worker... goes home only to change..!!).They aren't helping things too... To hell with bosses who don't understand the difference between "sitting" late and "working" late!!!

Very soon, the boss start expecting all employees to put in extra working hours.

So, My dear Bachelors let me tell you, life changes when u get married and start having a family... office is no longer a priority, family is... and that's when the problem starts... becoz u start having commitments at home too.

For your boss, the earlier "hardworking" guy suddenly seems to become a "early leaver" even if u leave an hour after regulartime... after doing the same amount of work.

People leaving on time after doing their tasks for the day are labeled as work-shirkers...

Girls who thankfully always (its changing nowadays... though) leave on time are labeled as "not up to it". All the while, the bachelors pat their own backs and carry on "working" not realizing that they r spoiling the work culture at their own place and never realize that they wuld have to regret at one point of time.

*So what's the moral of the story?? *

* Very clear, LEAVE ON TIME!!!

* Never put in extra time " *unless really needed *"

* Don't stay back un-necessarily and spoil your company work culture which will in turn cause inconvenience to you and your colleagues.

There are hundred other things to do in the evening..

Learn music...

Learn a foreign language...

try a sport... TT, cricket.........

importantly Get a girl friend or gal friend, take him/her around town...

* And for heaven's sake net cafe rates have dropped to an all-time low (plus, no fire-walls) and try cooking for a change.

Take a tip from the Smirnoff ad: *"Life's calling, where are you??"*

Please pass on this message to all those colleagues And please do it

before leaving time, don't stay back till midnight to forward this!!!

Last edited by Tech : 12th September 2006 at 21:14.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: How many hours everyday do you spend in your office?

Spend from 6-8 hours in office depending on the calls and project lifecycle. All my IT friends will agree it is a crest and a trough in our industry between projects hence the variations.

If one adds the commute it would be +2 hours again depending on the time you leave for and from office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks