Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2016, 19:57   #241
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Got addicted to this thread, and would like to set up an aquarium.

Checked the acrylic ones at Aquaverse Kundalahalli. They were quoting 16.5K for 80 litre tank and 18.5K for 160 litre tank. This include tank+stand+light+top & bottom filter. Is this overpriced, also suggest me a good aquarium shop near whitefield/marthahalli.
Old 30th January 2016, 20:30   #242
Senior - BHPian

Hello Shijinpr and welcome to the hobby

Acrylic tanks are more expensive than glass tanks. Check out glass tanks itself

Check out this link:
https://umino.in/13-aquarium-fish-ta...nai-india.html

I have no idea how good the site is, just to give you an idea of prices.

No clue about shops in Bangalore. The one shop i knew was voted down by a Bangalore person who obviously knows better
Old 30th January 2016, 20:36   #243
BHPian

I think 18.5k for 160L is not bad, if you are getting a proper stand with compartments and all. It would be even better if you can negotiate and get the fishes included in the price.

As suggested above, glass tanks would be better VFM and involving if you have the time and passion (which you have ) of setting it up. Cost is around 9k for a 180L tank (tank, top, light, filter, heater) in NCR, should be in the same range in your area.

Deathwalkr Ji - Either your post has 3 smileys or I need to visit an eye doctor!

Last edited by swift_guy : 30th January 2016 at 20:42.
Old 30th January 2016, 20:55   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Hello Shijinpr and welcome to the hobby

Acrylic tanks are more expensive than glass tanks. Check out glass tanks itself

Check out this link:
https://umino.in/13-aquarium-fish-ta...nai-india.html

I have no idea how good the site is, just to give you an idea of prices.

No clue about shops in Bangalore. The one shop i knew was voted down by a Bangalore person who obviously knows better
Thanks for the information
Old 30th January 2016, 21:16   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Cost is around 9k for a 180L tank (tank, top, light, filter, heater) in NCR, should be in the same range in your area.

Deathwalkr Ji - Either your post has 3 smileys or I need to visit an eye doctor!
Just to get the pricing context, i just got mine delivered today...4feet*2feet*2feet ...12mm modiguard glass. Just plain aquarium costed me 4700.

And yes, 3 smilies
Old 30th January 2016, 21:22   #246
BHPian

Guys,

Have ordered multiple items from following site, pretty competetive pricing, sends via reputed courier. I am not assosiated though!!

http://aquanatureonline.com/index.php/

Deathwalker , dude, got my filters from above site...
Old 30th January 2016, 21:57   #247
Senior - BHPian

ha ha ha looks like you guys won't let the mods miss that :P

when in doubt stick to glass.
Old 30th January 2016, 22:46   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Just to get the pricing context, i just got mine delivered today...4feet*2feet*2feet ...12mm modiguard glass. Just plain aquarium costed me 4700.
What is your location? And store name from where you got the aquarium?
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:28   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Fishes can be like that. But my arowana which used to eat Hikari carnivore sticks and mealworms, now eats only live fishes :(

So once in a few days, i dump some 20 rosy barbs, swordtails or mollies for him to gorge on.

Seeing a 2ft fish look right at you waiting for you to feed him is amazing.
deathwalkr - mind sharing pic of your banjar red aro? Have you named it? I can certainly relate to what you just mentioned here about aro feeding, and its amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Thanks for the information
Shijin - I would suggest you enquire in other Bangalore stores also other than aquaverse. on 2 separate instances, they were quoting almost double to what I was getting from other aquarium stores in Bangalore, for aquarium tanks.
Old 2nd February 2016, 20:00   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
deathwalkr - mind sharing pic of your banjar red aro? Have you named it? I can certainly relate to what you just mentioned here about aro feeding, and its amazing.
shall take a few pics next time i go there he's called Blaze
Old 5th February 2016, 17:40   #251
BHPian

quick question !!!

I have a single convict chiclid available as of now - which chiclid varieties/breeds would go along with it ? Dont want to get confused at the shop - they have almost all mixed up.

And how many fishes for 350ltr capacity tank ? 4 pairs ?
Old 5th February 2016, 18:30   #252
Senior - BHPian

Unless you have a big monster tank avoid getting pairs of american cichlids. they are aggressive territorial fishes and when they breed they get doubly aggressive and require double territory.

Convicts breed very easily. One user in aquahobby comments that the only thing required for convicts to breed is water!

For a 350L tank if you are looking for American cichlids, i would suggest convict, firemouth, salvini, green terror/gold saum, texas, jack dempsey and the likes.

One oscar as the bully of the tank :P

Remember to set up the tank with wood and rocks so that territory can be divided among the fishes.

If you are looking for tank busters, then a red devil or flowerhorn or a wolf cichlid [never seen one in the hobby here :(] would be awesome. Red devils are by far the best solo fish to have. Loaded with personality. I miss mine now...

Last edited by deathwalkr : 5th February 2016 at 18:34.
Old 5th February 2016, 22:32   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you have a big monster tank avoid getting pairs of american cichlids.

For a 350L tank if you are looking for American cichlids, i would suggest convict, firemouth, salvini, green terror/gold saum, texas, jack dempsey and the likes.

One oscar as the bully of the tank :P

Remember to set up the tank with wood and rocks so that territory can be divided among the fishes.
Thanks mate !!
Got your point - no pairs , will get one each of available varieties.

For Oscar, I thought it would remain solitary - single fish in whole aquarium ? Would it coexist with say 6 chiclids ?

And damn, I am having a hard time locating driftwood/stones for decoration. Where do you get yours ? Self made stuff ? or somewhere online ?
Old 6th February 2016, 10:11   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Thanks mate !!
Got your point - no pairs , will get one each of available varieties.

For Oscar, I thought it would remain solitary - single fish in whole aquarium ? Would it coexist with say 6 chiclids ?

And damn, I am having a hard time locating driftwood/stones for decoration. Where do you get yours ? Self made stuff ? or somewhere online ?
If you want to keep an Oscar in that tank, i think you should be fine with One oscar, couple of male convicts, A pleco. Convicts are great dither fishes whereas Oscars are just slow bulky bullies. Rarely will an Oscar get close to a convict

My stocking plan would be convict, firemouth, salvini, a nice GT with long fins or a Texas.

As for Driftwood, you just have to get lucky i guess. I got lucky getting 4 amazing pieces of driftwood from the local aquariums itself. One was from a government run aquarium high up in forest territory. If you go hiking into forests you might be able to pick up a nice one although you would have to do a major cleaning/disinfectant procedure.

Stones again from the LFS i guess. Finding a good LFS will solve most of your worries. If really desperate you can also look online.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 6th February 2016 at 10:13.
Old 6th February 2016, 20:50   #255
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can someone help her ? It's a gold fish. It had a small white patch on it 2 months back however it has grown to bicome a big ulcer kind of thing near her eye.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks