Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 13:41   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Thanks!!! To be safe I got the aquarium guy to fit in a small filter, but the suction of the filter is causing the tetras to swim against it. They seems to be more worked up due to the filter. So, for now, I have turned it off and kept it aside. So yes, the filter is not adding any value other than space.

What fishes can be safely kept with tetras, any suggestions?
pic of tank please?

buy filters rated for tank volume. you can use spray bars to lower the speed of the filter output.

hang on filters are also a good option which i mention in my previous post.

or small external filters like boyu ef05.

please don't buy plecos for your tank. most of them get rather large.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:09   #317
BHPian

@sukhoi30

Hang-On filters are probably the best option given the size of your tank and tetras. Having no filtration is not an option irrespective of the size of the tank even with weekly water changes.

I got busy with a 40 litre planted tank a couple of weekends ago. Not happy with the layout but had to make do with the stuff available at home from previous set-ups. Have ordered some more cultured carpet plants (Monte Carlos) and will change the set-up this weekend.

Added a couple of pairs Sakura Red Shrimps this weekend. Here are some pics.

Also got a single Polypterus bichir (about a couple of inches long) commonly known as Senegalus for the Discus show tank(pic for reference only). Will try and get a decent shot of him.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_3848.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_3859.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_3789.jpg  

Last edited by R32_GTR : 5th April 2016 at 12:12. Reason: unquote.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:15   #318
BHPian

Guys I am gifting my fish. Anyone in Gurgaon interested in adopting then pls pm me. Got - Oscars, parrots, fresh water Dolphins, Malawi cichlids. Parents have started complaining of the humming noise that the pumps make :( I have an ehiem filter with a couple of wave makers but at night these too make an irritating noise making it difficult for them to sleep
Old 5th April 2016, 16:01   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
@sukhoi30

Hang-On filters are probably the best option given the size of your tank and tetras. Having no filtration is not an option irrespective of the size of the tank even with weekly water changes.
Thanks. I got the aquarium guy to install a small hang on filter. I added couple of angel fishes to the tank along with the tetras. Now, the problem is that the filter is sucking up the water causing the fishes to swim more aggressively to stay away from the filter. This is especially a bother for the angel fish as they seem to be drawn to the filter much more easily.
I turn on the filter for an hour or so and then turn it off. I will upload a pic soon.

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 5th April 2016 at 16:08.
Old 5th April 2016, 16:13   #320
BHPian

[IMG]My Fishkeeping hobby-1459852836849.jpg[/IMG]

Pic of the filter... I put that plastic pipe to reduce the drag. It works to a certain extent but you can see, how the fishes still get dragged to the filter.

[IMG]My Fishkeeping hobby-1459852959366.jpg[/IMG]

That's the image of the full tank.
Old 6th April 2016, 10:16   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Guys I am gifting my fish. Anyone in Gurgaon interested in adopting then pls pm me. Got - Oscars, parrots, fresh water Dolphins, Malawi cichlids. Parents have started complaining of the humming noise that the pumps make :( I have an ehiem filter with a couple of wave makers but at night these too make an irritating noise making it difficult for them to sleep
Hello !
I am from gurgaon, and would love to visit and take some home. PM me and we'll catch up.
Old 6th April 2016, 10:26   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I had a small tank for tetras only. Had put a pic of it in this thread before too.
You don't need a filter as long as you don't overcrowd the tank or over feed the fish.

Over feeding is the biggest issue.

Avoid mollies with tetra. Molies have a tendency to nip at their fins.
Hi, how often & how much do you feed them? And what is the frequency of changing water ?

These plants also needs to be changed during some intervals, right??
Old 6th April 2016, 13:27   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
Hi, how often & how much do you feed them? And what is the frequency of changing water ?

These plants also needs to be changed during some intervals, right??
Just once a day in the morning. The bottom feeder would help in picking off the leftovers.

Water top up every weekend to compensate for loss by evaporation.

Siphoning every fortnight to once in three weeks to clean gravel. 3/4 water change.

Plants need to be trimmed as they thrive.

If you don't overcrowd, feed properly and have the right mix of fish and plants, for a small tank you don't need a filter. For big tanks the filter helps to prolong your cleaning intervals.
People successfully kept fish before filters were invented, didn't they?

This is my thinking. To each their own.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 6th April 2016 at 13:29.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:12   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
[IMG]Attachment 1494357[/IMG]

Pic of the filter... I put that plastic pipe to reduce the drag. It works to a certain extent but you can see, how the fishes still get dragged to the filter.

That's the image of the full tank.
That filter is the Boyu Sp1000 I guess. Its too powerful for a tank as small as yours. The flow rate of this one is 1000L per hour which is a little too much for the quantity of water you have. Either get a small hang-on filter or a smaller filter of lesser capacity. I had used it for my 150 liter tank but later switched to Hang-on because the boyu was pulling in the plants due to the force. This one is suitable for big fish and tanks without loose plants.
Old 6th April 2016, 19:26   #325
Senior - BHPian

@R32 GTR: Ornate bichirs grow up to be awesome monsters i had a couple in my arowana tank with endli bichirs as well. Good predators and fun fish to watch.

@sukhoi: Know your tank volume and buy filter accordingly.
Old 7th April 2016, 10:28   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@R32 GTR: Ornate bichirs grow up to be awesome monsters i had a couple in my arowana tank with endli bichirs as well. Good predators and fun fish to watch.
Thanks for the heads-up @Deathwalkr - Didn't know they could get that big! Just saw a video of a 21 incher on youtube but still such a calm breed. Got him to gobble up all the left over BHM and GHM in the discus tank.

Saw him perched on the spider wood like a leopard last night but moved as soon as I got near to take a pic. He's getting along really well with the other solitary polka-dot African catfish (Synodontis angelicus) in the tank.
Old 7th April 2016, 11:44   #327
BHPian

Last week I got some artificial plants and a SOBO air pump (internal) for my tank. The internal air pump was new in the market (at least here) and was essentially an internal filter (without the filter attachment) in a different enclosure to prevent damage to the fishes. It had a red light in the centre which gave an awesome colour to the small bubbles rising from it.

Somehow one of my goldfish got its tail stuck (and sucked into) the filter. Maybe she is too old/lazy/slow but all I could see was that she was passing from above the pump and the long tail got stuck in the rotating end of the filter. All of a sudden it realised that it was being sucked in and started struggling. I immediately switched the pump off but the fish was still stuck. Somehow she was able to escape but had 80% of its tail damaged (torn). The other goldfish in the tank started nipping the long torn pieces of its tail and I put it in a small bowl immediately. By the next day, the fish had suddenly become very weak (earlier her tummy was like a ball) and only 10% of the tail was present (rest of the torn strands had fallen off).

I went to the Aquarium Shop and got the pump exchanged with a conventional air pump (external) and a decoration thingy (with diffuser) to be attached to the pump. Today I moved the fish back to the original tank. It is much better now and 50% of the tail has regrown.

I have been treating it with a yellow-ish medicine which the shop owner gave me for fin rot. He also advised to put salt in the water, but I didn't do it as he is not a very-informative fellow. My question is - which salt should I use? And is it useful or should I let the fish recover on its own? Was it a good decision to move the fish back to the original tank?

I am seeing some black edges on her tail (which was totally orange earlier). Is it something to worry? I will attach pictures if needed.

EDIT - Another good news to share is that we are shifting to a bigger place on 15th April and will be placing an order for a 3+ ft. tank in a few days. Good times ahead for my fishes.

Last edited by swift_guy : 7th April 2016 at 11:47.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:34   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Thanks for the heads-up @Deathwalkr - Didn't know they could get that big! Just saw a video of a 21 incher on Youtube but still such a calm breed. Got him to gobble up all the left over BHM and GHM in the discus tank.

Saw him perched on the spider wood like a leopard last night but moved as soon as I got near to take a pic. He's getting along really well with the other solitary polka-dot African catfish (Synodontis angelicus) in the tank.
yes. all polyp species are such amazing monsters. like arowanas, lungfishes and gars they are also an ancient species reaching their pinnacle of evolution hundreds and thousands of years ago.

they breath air and have to come up to breath. they are excellent escape artists so make sure your tank has a tight lid. they can survive out of water but will die if their slimecoat dries up.

they are gluttons and will try and eat anything that can fit in their mouths. so choose tankmates carefully. they like soft substrates.

@sukhoi: this is what i meant by hang on filter

http://www.amazon.in/Boyu-WF-2015-6-...inhydr18418-21

measure your tank volume here and buy a filter accordingly [suggest 6 times your tank volume]

http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

remember clear water is not always clean water. you need bio filtration to ensure water conditions remain ideal for your fishes to survive.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 7th April 2016 at 12:35.
Old 7th April 2016, 14:37   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@sukhoi: this is what i meant by hang on filter

http://www.amazon.in/Boyu-WF-2015-6-...inhydr18418-21

measure your tank volume here and buy a filter accordingly [suggest 6 times your tank volume]

http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

remember clear water is not always clean water. you need bio filtration to ensure water conditions remain ideal for your fishes to survive.
Thanks to point this out. I have called the aquarium guy to come and replace it, if he cannot replace it, then I will go with what you suggested.
Old 9th April 2016, 10:37   #330
BHPian

This is my tank setup. 3FTx1.5FTx1.5FT

Housing 2 Oscars and 2 Iridescent shark along with Eheim Internal Filter and Eheim Heater.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-thumb_img_4138_1024.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-thumb_img_4143_1024.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks