Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 18:35   #346
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I had a small tank for tetras only. Had put a pic of it in this thread before too.

You don't need a filter as long as you don't overcrowd the tank or over feed the fish.

Over feeding is the biggest issue.

Avoid mollies with tetra. Molies have a tendency to nip at their fins.
May I know what kind of sand is used in your Tetra Bowl
Old 26th April 2016, 18:41   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
I got some scenery picture and pasted it on the back of the aquarium. Will it enhance the look if I remove the background?
Most of the tank pictures posted here does not have a picture at the back of the tank.
I never liked the background in the tank. Gives an artificial feel to it. Moreover, if you have a planted tank it will not highlight the artefacts that you put into the tank be it wood, plants or rocks. Rather I would prefer a plain background like blue or black in case the wall behind has to be covered.
Old 26th April 2016, 18:58   #348
BHPian

For the lighting purpose, currently my aquarium shop guy given a pink light (small fluorescent lamp).
I asked for white colour light. But he says, the tank will appear good if we use pink lights.
Which is the best light colour for lighting a tank.
Old 26th April 2016, 19:02   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I never liked the background in the tank. Gives an artificial feel to it. Moreover, if you have a planted tank it will not highlight the artefacts that you put into the tank be it wood, plants or rocks. Rather I would prefer a plain background like blue or black in case the wall behind has to be covered.
Thanks, man!
I have a small tank and I am novice to this hobby. I am small (marble kind of) stones in the tank (white and brown colour). I have 2 plastic plants.
I want to revamp this now as am 2 months into this hobby. Planning for coral sand, drift wood and live plants with some good fish.
I only have 2 Gold fish, 1 telescope fish and 2 sharks.
Old 26th April 2016, 19:05   #350
Senior - BHPian

Got a pic of your tank?

Light requirements depends on fishes/plants that you have. As audio said, sticker backgrounds are at most times bad. Black/Blue is fine. Otherwise 3d styrofoam backgrounds are good as well.
Old 26th April 2016, 19:23   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Got a pic of your tank?

Light requirements depends on fishes/plants that you have. As audio said, sticker backgrounds are at most times bad. Black/Blue is fine. Otherwise 3d styrofoam backgrounds are good as well.
Background do look good...i had mine in my last aquarium. But this one is from 12mm glass, 5 feet in size, and weighs a ton, cant think of a way to squeeze in something at the back. See posts in the starting pages...mine are at post 67 or 69 i think.
Old 27th April 2016, 11:53   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
For the lighting purpose, currently my aquarium shop guy given a pink light (small fluorescent lamp).
I asked for white colour light. But he says, the tank will appear good if we use pink lights.
Which is the best light colour for lighting a tank.

Well the pink light is used in combination of green light to enhance the look of the tank. I have the same setup. Pink alone will not look good
Old 27th April 2016, 12:00   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Background do look good...i had mine in my last aquarium. But this one is from 12mm glass, 5 feet in size, and weighs a ton, cant think of a way to squeeze in something at the back. See posts in the starting pages...mine are at post 67 or 69 i think.
I did say "most times"

And why would you squeeze anything at the back? 3d backgrounds are pasted inside the tank.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:02   #354
Senior - BHPian

R32_GTR ! wow! you are an inspiration. Do keep us posted.
I have few questions; can one have a planted tank without co2 ? Does the co2 tabs help?

Adding pic of my planted tank. I will redo this after I get Ada super 4.
Have also ordered Co2 tab and some cowhair seeds. I just have 4 balloon molly and 4 emperor tetra and 2 shrimp for now.

deathwalker should be able to add my tank specs

And, another lesson I learned. Tiger barb though a sturdy fish, needs lot of aeration during summer.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20160423_122543-medium.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20160423_122956-medium.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 28th April 2016 at 11:18.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:49   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
R32_GTR ! wow! you are an inspiration. Do keep us posted.
I have few questions; can one have a planted tank without co2 ? Does the co2 tabs help?

Adding pic of my planted tank. I will redo this after I get Ada super 4.
Have also ordered Co2 tab and some cowhair seeds. I just have 4 balloon molly and 4 emperor tetra and 2 shrimp for now.

deathwalker should be able to add my tank specs

And, another lesson I learned. Tiger barb though a sturdy fish, needs lot of aeration during summer.
Thanks buddy!
I'm running with CO2 tablets and Liquid CO2 additives in lieu of my CO2 kit to arrive from China. They are sufficient for smaller tanks as long as the plants aren't too needy for CO2.

Good lighting and external filtration is a must though if you want to maintain calmness and avoid too many "floaters" since you cant siphon a planted tank and don't want to get your arms wet too often.

My set-up is still a low tech tank compared to high-tech planted spaces (even after spending nearly 20k on a 40 litre set-up).

Aquascaping is now catching on and really progressing towards High Tech set-ups that are costing upwards of a couples of lacs - Even these require some level of daily maintained and are not 100% self sustained.

To be honest, Aquascaping makes fish-keeping look easy.

Adding a pic of my Discus showtank since not much progress on the planted tank (added 4 german rams last week).
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_3737.jpg  

Last edited by R32_GTR : 28th April 2016 at 11:50.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:39   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quite some time since I updated on my set up! I have got an external filter setup along with getting couple of parrots added to my aquarium. Tank looks much cleaner and also fishes seems to be happy! A stupid question to ask but how do I find out the gender of the fish. I had got a pair of peacock's and one of them had died sometime back and would like to get a new one but don't know whether it is a male of a female.

I am seeing lot of people going towards planted aquarium and it is looking good! How do you clean the aquarium regularly as siphoning is not an option( Or is it ) ? Is the filtration enough for keeping the tank clean? Asking this because I am planning to have a second smaller aquarium setup and would like to go for a planted one this time around if it sounds plausible.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 28th April 2016 at 12:45.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:53   #357
Senior - BHPian

@Torquey: This link might be helpful
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/gender.php

Too much of a hassle mostly.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:59   #358
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am in Chennai and planning to start an aquarium. My main concern is heat. With temperature soaring how do u guys manage the tank? And is there a good place in chennai where i can get aquarium supplies?

Thanks,
Madhan
Old 28th April 2016, 18:03   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Hi Folks,

I am in Chennai and planning to start an aquarium. My main concern is heat. With temperature soaring how do u guys manage the tank? And is there a good place in chennai where i can get aquarium supplies?

Thanks,
Madhan
Heat! that is something I learned the hard way.
1) A cooler place for the aquarium.
2) More aeration.
3) Fishes that can stand the temp!

I am not expert but this is the simplest thing you can do. My barbs were so damn happy before summer. In addition to adding more 'air' I also left a lid of my tank open to help evaporation which will too help reduce the temp.
Old 28th April 2016, 19:56   #360
Senior - BHPian

@Ford: Chennai is one the biggest hubs for all aquarium related stuff You can always get stuff online as well.

Sites like:

aquanature
indianaquarium
amazon
ebay
easypets etc etc

regarding temp, what's the temp out there these days? my tank temp is at 32-34deg and i have tropical fishes which can stand that range. But like JK said, you would need to add extra aeration and also feed them more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks