Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2016, 17:58   #421
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

I am looking for some good site where I can find nice aquarium decors. Collection in amazon is good but I need more to look at. I want stuff that are unique. I am fed up of sunken ships, castles, broken bell etc. I see some good items in the international version of amazon. But can't find anything of that sort in the Indian site.
Old 25th November 2016, 18:09   #422
Senior - BHPian

If you could link a few of the stuff that you liked in amazon international it would help a bit
Old 26th November 2016, 07:04   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Thanks

My banjar red is in a 6x2x2 with an indonesian datnoid and ab albino sailfin pleco. The tank is at my grandparents house a few kms away.
Love to see your banjar red arowana, can you please share it's photo, and tank? It must be fully grown now, I assume.
Old 26th November 2016, 08:58   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
While you are online, let me ask you -

For my 5*2.5*2.5 feet tank, right now its running with Internal Filter - but it gets pretty clogged up, and water gets dirty/cloudy in a week. With external filter, it needs to be cleaned up once a month ?

For external filter, how much L/HR we are thinking about ?

Can you recommend something ?

Are they easy to install ?

Woah!! You upgraded your tank? Please share some photos.
I used to clean my external filter once a month and did not face any issues. As the filter gets dirty your water pressure will reduce. So use that as a yard stick. What I came to know from the online forums is that you should select the l/hr based on your tank capacity so that the entire volume of the tank is cycled at least 3-4 times an hour. For your tank look for over 1200 l/hr.
These filters are silent as compared to external ones and very easy to install. The only time consuming part is opening and cleaning all the media. Took me 30 mins just to disconnect and clean it :(
I had as ehiem which I bought from eBay for around 8k that did duty on my tank. I have heard good reviews for sunsun too.
Old 26th November 2016, 09:51   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
What I came to know from the online forums is that you should select the l/hr based on your tank capacity so that the entire volume of the tank is cycled at least 3-4 times an hour. For your tank look for over 1200 l/hr.
His tank is nearly 900 liters. How will a 1200LPH filter help?

@Narayanan: Sure shall try and get some snaps

Last edited by deathwalkr : 26th November 2016 at 09:52.
Old 26th November 2016, 10:00   #426
BHPian

Quote:
His tank is nearly 900 liters. How will a 1200LPH filter help?

@Narayanan: Sure shall try and get some snaps

Did not say 1200 will help. I said look for over 1200 depending on the tank size so that it cycles the tank 3-4 times in an hour. He is smart enough to calculate the tank size and look for the lph himself.
Old 28th November 2016, 13:06   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_2rahjo View Post
Did not say 1200 will help. I said look for over 1200 depending on the tank size so that it cycles the tank 3-4 times in an hour. He is smart enough to calculate the tank size and look for the lph himself.
The bigger one was for my cousin. I am still hanging on to 4 Feet oldie.

Though, after seeing his monster tank, I am starting to feel the need for upgrading (though this one is not even 1 year old).

Anyone you know who wants to sell his 5 Feet or more aquarium, do let me know. Or if someone wants a 4 Feet aquarium, I'll sell mine.
Old 1st December 2016, 01:08   #428
Senior - BHPian

Consider one or two Sun Sun HW 304 external filters. They are 2000 lph each. Generally the rule for filtration is 3-5X tank volume turnover for an unplanted tank, 5-10x turnover for a planted tank and 15-20X turnover for a marine tank
Old 12th December 2016, 23:40   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Consider one or two Sun Sun HW 304 external filters. They are 2000 lph each. Generally the rule for filtration is 3-5X tank volume turnover for an unplanted tank, 5-10x turnover for a planted tank and 15-20X turnover for a marine tank
I am searching online for a good price of 304's - will buy one for now - not enough budget left. What kind of media should I buy along ? and it's quantity ?
Old 13th December 2016, 09:59   #430
Senior - BHPian

I think it has 3 trays. Assuming that is correct i would suggest the following:

1) Coarse sponge at the bottom [if flow is from bottom to top]
2) Seachem matrix
3) Seachem carbon, purigen and fine sponge at the top

If you are going for carbon, remember to change it once in a while as it loses its absorption capacity.
Old 13th December 2016, 10:05   #431
BHPian

Yes,i think flow is from bottom to top, and it has 4 trays. I think it comes with bio balls etc. I am looking for quantity...
Old 13th December 2016, 10:45   #432
Senior - BHPian

4 trays? That's pretty nice.

1) Coarse sponge
2) Seachem matrix 2L or Ceramic rings
3) "
4) Carbon 1L, Purigen 500ml with fine filter sponge on top
Old 13th December 2016, 21:07   #433
Senior - BHPian

No need for carbon, just Purigen is fine if possible in budget. SunSun filters come without any media except for a few sheets of filter floss which ideally you shouldnt use because they clog very fast. At most use one of them for the first month after startup and then discard it and keep the extras for times when the water is very cloudy/dirty.

Check Umino.in for the sunsun filters. Coarse sponge, Ceramic rings and fine sponge will be enough. If 4 trays then use coarse sponge in the bottom 2, ceramic rings in the middle and fine sponge + (optional) Seachem Purigen in the top.
Old 14th December 2016, 22:48   #434
Senior - BHPian

Pleasant surprise. Didn't know about this thread earlier. Here are a few of my babies.

Purple Harlequin Rasbora

My Fishkeeping hobby-purpleharlequinrasborajune302016_2571.jpg

Green Neon Tetra

My Fishkeeping hobby-greenneonjune82016_2081.jpg

Rummy Nose Tetra

My Fishkeeping hobby-rummynosejune82016_2250.jpg
Old 14th December 2016, 22:59   #435
BHPian

Quote:
4 trays? That's pretty nice.

1) Coarse sponge
2) Seachem matrix 2L or Ceramic rings
3) "
4) Carbon 1L, Purigen 500ml with fine filter sponge on top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
No need for carbon, just Purigen is fine if possible in budget. SunSun filters come without any media except for a few sheets of filter floss which ideally you shouldnt use because they clog very fast. At most use one of them for the first month after startup and then discard it and keep the extras for times when the water is very cloudy/dirty.

Check Umino.in for the sunsun filters. Coarse sponge, Ceramic rings and fine sponge will be enough. If 4 trays then use coarse sponge in the bottom 2, ceramic rings in the middle and fine sponge + (optional) Seachem Purigen in the top.

How does this cart looks ? See if something can be removed, or quantity cut down to accmooodate Purigen ( for 775/- > http://www.ebay.in/itm/122034467285?aff_source=Sok-Goog )

Where will I find coarse sponge ? The one on this site seems a bit costly at 200/piece ?

My Fishkeeping hobby-untitled.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks