Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 17:29   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Got a couple of Plecos [Money Money Money! :P]

L204 Pleco and L052 Pleco.

Here's a pic of the L204 that i took today afternoon. The L052 Butterfly Pleco is still hiding under driftwood.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-l204-pleco.jpg  

Old 7th March 2017, 08:27   #497
BHPian

Need expert advice.. We are relocating from Hyderabad to Chennai this month end by road and need options on how to relocate my fish 2 Oscars and 1 iridescent shark. All 3 are more than 12cm long.

Checked few Aquarium shops and they suggested to pack them in separate gas filled polythene bags which will hold them for a max of 24hrs.
Is this the best method?
Old 7th March 2017, 13:11   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Need expert advice.. We are relocating from Hyderabad to Chennai this month end by road and need options on how to relocate my fish 2 Oscars and 1 iridescent shark. All 3 are more than 12cm long.

Checked few Aquarium shops and they suggested to pack them in separate gas filled polythene bags which will hold them for a max of 24hrs.
Is this the best method?
This is possibly the only way. If you are relocating by road, ensure the oxygen filled bags are placed in a carton. Keep the carton in the boot and ensure it is tightly placed so it does not slide about. If you are driving a hatch or an SUV, do not use the air conditioning - the temperature drop is fatal. If in a sedan, stop every 4 hours or so to check the temperature of the water - the boot can get really hot in the Indian summer. If it is getting too hot, then place the carton inside the cabin and drive without the air con.

At no point do you open the bags themselves. This is critical.
Old 13th March 2017, 21:22   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
This is possibly the only way. If you are relocating by road, ensure the oxygen filled bags are placed in a carton. Keep the carton in the boot and ensure it is tightly placed so it does not slide about. If you are driving a hatch or an SUV, do not use the air conditioning - the temperature drop is fatal. If in a sedan, stop every 4 hours or so to check the temperature of the water - the boot can get really hot in the Indian summer. If it is getting too hot, then place the carton inside the cabin and drive without the air con.

At no point do you open the bags themselves. This is critical.
Thanks.. i drive a sedan and will keep these points in mind. How long can they survive in the oxygen filled bags?
Old 14th March 2017, 07:37   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.. i drive a sedan and will keep these points in mind. How long can they survive in the oxygen filled bags?
How about making use of battery operated air pumps ?
Old 14th March 2017, 08:40   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
How about making use of battery operated air pumps ?
Should I then use buckets with lids for transportation rather than polythene bags?
Old 15th March 2017, 10:41   #502
Senior - BHPian

Properly filled/packed plastic bags are the way to go while transporting fishes. You also have to ensure the bags are not thrown around in the car. Keep them in a carton. Inform the packer the duration of your travel and he will size the bags and fill up oxygen accordingly.

Other options are styrofoam boxes but that would be bulky and hard to obtain.

Buckets are ok only for short distance commutes.
Old 22nd March 2017, 08:51   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Properly filled/packed plastic bags are the way to go while transporting fishes. You also have to ensure the bags are not thrown around in the car. Keep them in a carton. Inform the packer the duration of your travel and he will size the bags and fill up oxygen accordingly.

Other options are styrofoam boxes but that would be bulky and hard to obtain.

Buckets are ok only for short distance commutes.
The problem is I am relocating. Packers would pack the Aquarium by Saturday noon. I am planning to leave by Sunday morning and reach destination by the same day night. So all these while the Fish needs to either stay in a bucket with a air pump or in a polythene bag with oxygen filled. Feasible?
Even once I reach the destination, it will take another day to get my aquarium and start freeing the fish.

For now I have bought the 40L blue bucket with lid, planning to get a air pump and get it aerated while on travel. Possible?

Please help on what should I do for this situation.
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:48   #504
BHPian

Quote:

Please help on what should I do for this situation.
Whatever you do - hard facts - be prepared to loose some or all the fishes.

In a bucket for 48 hours, then in an aquarium whose water is not primed and cycled. I wish you all the best for smooth transfer.
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:27   #505
Senior - BHPian

Suggest selling the fishes and then taking your time to set up a nice tank in the new place, cycle it and then buy new fishes.

Win for everyone.
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:29   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Suggest selling the fishes and then taking your time to set up a nice tank in the new place, cycle it and then buy new fishes.

Win for everyone.
Not sure about your coastal area, but down here in Delhi NCR, there is no option to "sell" fishes - not even to known fish sellers. Best approach would be donating them to someone known - or donating them to LFS.
Old 22nd March 2017, 14:34   #507
Senior - BHPian

Oh that sucks. I manage to sell fishes back to my LFS quite regularly but then i guess that could be because i keep buying more than i sell from him

Good luck to dreams.
Old 22nd March 2017, 21:33   #508
BHPian

Thanks guys.. Will try my best to save them and make sure they reach their aquarium ASAP. Will try all the available options.
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:36   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.. Will try my best to save them and make sure they reach their aquarium ASAP. Will try all the available options.

Why don't you leave the fish with a friend or neighbor with a temp setup - maybe a bucket/pump/ filter if possible. Use this time to setup the aquarium and then take them with you

Just think what is best for the fish. Even if donating them means saving their lives. You can always buy new fish.
Old 24th March 2017, 20:55   #510
BHPian

I am relocating and hence the issue. I am preparing a aquarium at my destination so that once we reach, the fish can be released.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks