Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2018, 12:35   #676
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That's nice. One of my reservations to buy a canister filter was noise factor but with this feedback I guess will go ahead and get one with 200LPH (tank is 45L only).
Go for Eheim Classic 150.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:56   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Go for Eheim Classic 150.
Will that be enough? I was told from LFS to get at least 200 LPH. However, he does not have Eheim so will source online.
Old 15th March 2018, 15:56   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Will that be enough? I was told from LFS to get at least 200 LPH. However, he does not have Eheim so will source online.
Classic 150 is rated for 300LPH. It's for tanks from 50 to 150l

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...ilters/classic
Old 15th March 2018, 16:05   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Classic 150 is rated for 300LPH. It's for tanks from 50 to 150l

https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...ilters/classic
Oh, my bad. I thought 150 = 150 LHP

I am searching for the same but couldn't find it anywhere online.

Where did you get it from? Is there a dealer in Mumbai?
Old 15th March 2018, 16:16   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, my bad. I thought 150 = 150 LHP

I am searching for the same but couldn't find it anywhere online.

Where did you get it from? Is there a dealer in Mumbai?
I got it from Aakar Aquarium in Borivali East, Mumbai. All equipment and fishes are from his shop. Contact : Rajan 9821579869
Old 15th March 2018, 17:02   #681
BHPian

Finsnflora order was received this afternoon. Shipped yesterday from Blr via FedEx overnight.
My order was
Echinodorus Rose 3 *Rs 20 = 60
Ludwigia Repens 15* Rs 3 = 45
Hygrophila Stricta 15* Rs 3 = 45
Total 150
+ Shipping 150
Grand total. 300
Prior order of Rs 300 of Bunnycart included Java Moss/ Brahmi/ Ludwigia are also in the pic.
Prior order of Aquaswild is left off-center. This order of Finsnflora rocks.
As plants may have grown outside aquarium, how do I go about with introduction of fish ?
Substrate is sand, no artificial co2 or fertilizer only 5 w led baton. Seek Advise.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20180315_162239.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20180315_162236.jpg  

Old 15th March 2018, 17:04   #682
BHPian

Quote:
I got it from Aakar Aquarium in Borivali East, Mumbai. All equipment and fishes are from his shop. Contact : Rajan 9821579869
Thanks! Borivali will be too far for me. Will try to find some LFS in Pune/Powai who stocks it. Else will have to call this guy up and see if he can ship it.

By the way, any idea about minimum tank size required for keeping clown loaches? And can tetra/guppies be kept with them?

They look awesome!
Old 15th March 2018, 18:30   #683
Senior - BHPian

Without fertiliser and co2, sorry to say but the plant's days may be numbered ( if it is spared by fishes).
Old 15th March 2018, 19:06   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Borivali will be too far for me. Will try to find some LFS in Pune/Powai who stocks it. Else will have to call this guy up and see if he can ship it.

By the way, any idea about minimum tank size required for keeping clown loaches? And can tetra/guppies be kept with them?

They look awesome!
Clown loaches can grow up to 10 inches and have a 18 year life span. However their growth is really slow.

They are fast moving fish, need hiding places (hide among the driftwood in my tank) and are bottom feeders.

The minimum tank size is recommended to be 50 gallons and ideal is 100 gallons.

Even my tank is a bit small for them. Hopefully, I will get a larger tank by the time they grow up.
Old 15th March 2018, 20:23   #685
BHPian

Okay I have a question for the experts out there.
We have a rudimentary small tank. We fill it with normal tap water, add the additives (blue colour - cant remember what it is called) for the water and then fill it with the fishes - a combination of non-aggressive fishes. They have this habit of mass death. There are no additional decorations other than some old used driftwood and plastic plants. No over feeding either. What could be the problem? I know its scanty details but I would like to understand why the fishes keep dying en-mass? There is also a pump which generates oxygen (I think) submersed in the tank.
Old 15th March 2018, 20:56   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Okay I have a question for the experts out there.
We have a rudimentary small tank. We fill it with normal tap water, add the additives (blue colour - cant remember what it is called) for the water and then fill it with the fishes - a combination of non-aggressive fishes. They have this habit of mass death. There are no additional decorations other than some old used driftwood and plastic plants. No over feeding either. What could be the problem? I know its scanty details but I would like to understand why the fishes keep dying en-mass? There is also a pump which generates oxygen (I think) submersed in the tank.
You should stop changing all the water in the tank. Just remove 30-40% water and add in new water.

Over time, beneficial bacteria establish colonies in the tank and help to get rid of the waste (poop, extra food).

Also get a good branded liquid for neutralizing the chlorine in the water. (Ex: Seachem Prime, API Stresscoat, etc)
Old 15th March 2018, 21:05   #687
Senior - BHPian

@gtonsing your tank is basically a gas chamber for mass death :( Please stop this practice of treating mass fish death as casual occurrence and read up how to set up a tank. Till that time, please stop refilling that small tank and colouring the water and killing innocent fish one batch after another.
Old 15th March 2018, 21:39   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Without fertiliser and co2, sorry to say but the plant's days may be numbered ( if it is spared by fishes).
Thanks, I may redo plants in ADA soil in small planters or add liquid fertilizer, but later. Just have a pair of Neon Tetra now, and plan to add mix of guppies and Neon Tetra after a fortnight. My first priority is setup the environment.
So far my experiment involved,
First batch of plants from Aquaswild which were raised in fertilizer and co2 at facility. So some did perish & also gave brown algae issue. Remaining now are doing fine in the same parameters.
Second batch involved order from bunnycart which were tiny 1" plants and Java Moss. They are also doing fine now.
Now this Finsnflora batch is just too many for my aquarium, but at a reasonable price. Only issue, they are non aquarium/water raised. My priority was always to have a planted tank with Hardy plants, but without co2 /full ADA soil. I chose the plants this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Okay.

Hi, I am not an expert, but following is my thumb rule.
It's the Water which matters. I have lost fish because of issue in tap water. Make sure you have water which has been kept aside for at-least 24 hours if using tap water. The older the better. Or you could fill and set up your tank with tap water, but introduce fish only after 24 hours or more. For cleaning the tank do not use soap or salt, plain sand rinse is good enough.
If you are following the above you have no need to add blue or yellow liquid or anti chlorine liquid.
The fish get stressed with change, and you may have noticed them watching your moves.
Only if a fish gets disease, then the blue color liquid helps, but you can do it in a separate facility.

I will say it starts with an ends with water. And only using old water is your remedy. If a fish is sick you can find visible signs of avoiding food or fin spots or decay. You should remove the fish in a separate facility and seek direction for local pet store.
Like with a car, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just keep it simple and you will love this hobby.
Old 16th March 2018, 11:53   #689
BHPian

Hello Gurus, I am getting Eheim classic 150 for 5k. Is that a good price?
Old 16th March 2018, 12:21   #690
BHPian

Thank you for the comments and advice. For some reason my browser is not allowing me to multi quote. But I will consider them and proceed at a later stage. Right now, the tank is shelved and kept aside due to the deaths.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks