Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2018, 19:29   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
And deservedly so. Your knowledge is outstanding.
Thanks. Am checking them out.
Some photos below. External measurements of the thick glass are 1.80m L x 0.9m W x 1.2m H. So allowing for inner dimensions and the gravel etc and the 10 cms gap to the top I think it must carry about 1300 litres.

deathwalker, please could you help me identify this fish. Bought it a month back. Seems to have settled down with the cichlids.
Wow! That is a lovely tank. If my conversions to inches are correct that tank is almost 2000Litres! Oh My!

Using this site:
http://www.firsttankguide.net/calculator.php

From what i can see, you seem to have a mix of American and Africans in there. Purists would frown on that, as both need different water parameters and differ in their behavior as well. But if all is well then all is well

The spotted fellow looks like a Florida Gar. Grows up to 2ft and not sure if it belongs in there as it may prove to be a soft target by the American cichlids you have [do i see red devils?]. They are primarily fish eaters but mine used to gulp down hikari carnivore sticks as well, till my arowana bullied it to death. They gulp air from the surface so surface cover is recommended. They reached their evolution pinnacle eons back like the arowanas, polypterus, lung fishes etc.

This forum is a treasure trove:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...s-bowfins.109/
Old 11th August 2018, 19:34   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
From what i can see, you seem to have a mix of American and Africans in there. Purists would frown on that, as both need different water parameters and differ in their behavior as well. But if all is well then all is well
I actually don't know the difference between the two - African & American. Yes those are red devils. Breed a lot I say.

Quote:
The spotted fellow looks like a Florida Gar. Grows up to 2ft and not sure if it belongs in there as it may prove to be a soft target by the American cichlids you have [do i see red devils?].
Thank you for the headsup. So you had a arrowana in your cichlid tank?
Old 11th August 2018, 19:42   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually don't know the difference between the two - African & American. Yes those are red devils. Breed a lot I say.

Thank you for the headsup. So you had a arrowana in your cichlid tank?
Broadly speaking, Americans are bulkier and bigger and they generally have a kill or be killed attitude to tank mates. They prefer soft water, lots of drift wood and stones to block line of sight and also makes it easier to establish their own territories.

Africans [The lake cichlids] are smaller and prefer hard water with lots of rocks and caves to dwell in. They are split into two: Haps [More peaceful and prefer open water] and Mbunas [Aggressive and prefer caves {name itself means cave dweller}]

Red Devils are one of my favorites. They develop quite the personality and love to play around with you. You can even feed them by hand. Aggressive in bold letters, finding a good specimen is rare these days due to rampant cross breeding with Midas and Flowerhorns and what not :(

And my Banjar Red Aro was in a 180G tank by himself with only Clown Loaches and Bichirs to fill up the bottom space. Had to sell them all of before moving from house to flat.

My terrace was a mini aquarium, used to have different habitat setups. Planted, Africans, Americans, Newts, Aro, Flowerhorn, Red Texas...Sigh those were the days.

Edit: If American Cichlids are your fancy, then this thread is a definite click:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-tanks.699757/

Last edited by deathwalkr : 11th August 2018 at 19:46.
Old 11th August 2018, 19:48   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Broadly speaking, Americans are bulkier and bigger and they generally have a kill or be killed attitude to tank mates. They prefer soft water, lots of drift wood and stones to block line of sight and also makes it easier to establish their own territories.

Africans [The lake cichlids] are smaller and prefer hard water with lots of rocks and caves to dwell in. They are split into two: Haps [More peaceful and prefer open water] and Mbunas [Aggressive and prefer caves {name itself means cave dweller}]

Red Devils are one of my favorites. They develop quite the personality and love to play around with you. You can even feed them by hand. Aggressive in bold letters, finding a good specimen is rare these days due to rampant cross breeding with Midas and Flowerhorns and what not :(
Many thanks. Very useful.

Quote:
And my Banjar Red Aro was in a 180G tank by himself with only Clown Loaches and Bichirs to fill up the bottom space. Had to sell them all of before moving from house to flat.

My terrace was a mini aquarium, used to have different habitat setups. Planted, Africans, Americans, Newts, Aro, Flowerhorn, Red Texas...Sigh those were the days.
Oh you lucky man. I am totally hen pecked and this is all my wife permitted me. I had grand visions of growing a tank in the bath tub - but she had a freak out. Till I was in full time business I had a similar one at office but alas every man retires one day (from corporate tedium at least)
Old 11th August 2018, 19:57   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks. Very useful.

Oh you lucky man. I am totally hen pecked and this is all my wife permitted me. I had grand visions of growing a tank in the bath tub - but she had a freak out. Till I was in full time business I had a similar one at office but alas every man retires one day (from corporate tedium at least)
Ha ha ha! I can imagine. Well at least you have a monster tank which any hobbyist would be envious of!

I know i am
Old 13th August 2018, 20:03   #741
Senior - BHPian

I was out for a few days and my bathtub pond fell victim to eutrophication. Filter had stopped working due to clogging. Hydrilla and hair algae bloomed extensively, the big ghost knife fish, few rainbow sharks and lots of mollies bore the brunt and died. The stink was too much so i had to empty the tub till the last drop, give it a scrub and replant with fresh cuttings. Also salvaged as many fish as i could.

Previous post showing the tub setup
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4335883

Current state after the cleanup
My Fishkeeping hobby-1.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-2.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-3.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-4.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-5.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-6.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-7.jpg

Also made a mega size submersible filter using 4 inch PVC, 2 slide stops, an 18w aircooler water pump and a 3/4 inch bulkhead fitting. I used sponge from old torn sofa cushion as filter media. Must say it is working perfectly for now. The old flush tank filter and algae scrubber will be added in a few days.

My Fishkeeping hobby-9.jpg

Here is a video of the filter in action(from 0:54)

Last edited by badboyscad : 13th August 2018 at 20:09.
Old 14th August 2018, 10:06   #742
Senior - BHPian

Nice DIY as always

Sad to hear that some of your fishes died. Never a nice feeling.

Would UV help prevent hair algae? I am starting to face the same in my 8x4x3 unfiltered planted pond and was thinking it's time to do some basic filtration to avoid water stagnation at least.
Old 14th August 2018, 14:09   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would UV help prevent hair algae? I am starting to face the same in my 8x4x3 unfiltered planted pond and was thinking it's time to do some basic filtration to avoid water stagnation at least.
As far as i can tell, stagnation was the main cause of eutrophication. UV definitely helps, im planning to make a powerful external UV sterilizer with 2 x 36W lamps and some PVC pipes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UV-S...3da73c00thV1lI

I have to experiment with different flow rates to get maximum sterilization.

Last edited by badboyscad : 14th August 2018 at 14:13.
Old 19th August 2018, 21:06   #744
Senior - BHPian

Finally after two water changes (75% water changed) in two weeks, the foam has not returned. The fish is also happily swimming around and is in a much better condition. He is also eating normally now. All's well that ends well!
Old 20th August 2018, 10:11   #745
Senior - BHPian

Good to know.

Please put up a pic of your tank
Old 27th August 2018, 19:32   #746
Senior - BHPian

What's going on with my shrimp? I've has this one for a few months now. Initially I saw the eggs on the dorsum and then they shifted ventrally and I thought they had fertilized, But after a couple of months, there is one baby shrimp and the egg sac appears the same. Anything I should be doing?
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_1082.jpg
Old 29th August 2018, 18:16   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And deservedly so. Your knowledge is outstanding.
Some photos below. External measurements of the thick glass are 1.80m L x 0.9m W x 1.2m H. So allowing for inner dimensions and the gravel etc and the 10 cms gap to the top I think it must carry about 1300 litres.
Hello Narayan. That is a really big aquarium and a very beautiful one indeed. I am in process of getting an aquarium in my flat in Dwarka. It would sit on a cemented base already prepared. The Aquarium would be an inverted L-shape. I have a few questions for assistance:-
1. Any good store to establish this Aquarium which is this side of NCR?
2. Where is the water tank of your aquarium? Is it inside cabinet or you change water manually?
Thanks in advance.
Old 15th September 2018, 18:39   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Some of my aquascapes over the years.
It is beautiful. Do share more, if you have please?
Old 15th September 2018, 18:56   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can read more about Seachem Prime on their website:
https://www.seachem.com/prime.php
Thank you for this advise. Their product looks useful to me. Which online dealer do you use to order your needs into India. Thanks in advance for your inputs. - Narayan
Old 16th September 2018, 13:40   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for this advise. Their product looks useful to me. Which online dealer do you use to order your needs into India. Thanks in advance for your inputs. - Narayan
I keep buying from:

indianaquarium.com

easypets.in

ebay was a good option but alas no longer. Amazon would be a last option.

seachem and fluval have direct distributors in India and you could buy directly from them as well but have to pay to their account directly. no sites as such.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks