Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I keep buying from:
indianaquarium.com
Thank you for your information.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2018, 00:29   #752
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Guys, i am setting up a new Fish Tank of size 16x16x16 inches. I know it's a bit small but that's the only space available. The Glass being used is Extra Clear Glass of 6 mm Thickness. Is this thickness ok for my small tank? Regarding Fishes, i am planning 3 pairs of Neon Tetras , 1-2 pairs of Guppies, 1 pair of Angel fish and 1 Betta maybe. Is it advisable to mix the Betta with other fishes since they are slightly aggresive but only with other Betta's i read?

Are the choice of Fishes fine for the Tank Size and will they stay cordial with each other?

Last edited by abhi3284 : 24th September 2018 at 00:31. Reason: Addition
Old 24th September 2018, 11:42   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Guys, i am setting up a new Fish Tank of size 16x16x16 inches. I know it's a bit small but that's the only space available. The Glass being used is Extra Clear Glass of 6 mm Thickness. Is this thickness ok for my small tank? Regarding Fishes, i am planning 3 pairs of Neon Tetras , 1-2 pairs of Guppies, 1 pair of Angel fish and 1 Betta maybe. Is it advisable to mix the Betta with other fishes since they are slightly aggresive but only with other Betta's i read?

Are the choice of Fishes fine for the Tank Size and will they stay cordial with each other?
But I think 8mm is the minimum required. I might be wrong, Gold fish bowls are extremely thin and they break most times during cleaning.

Neon tetra look good in schools and inside a planted tank.

I have a betta fish along with around 60 neon tetras. Doing fine. The color of the betta is identical to the neon tetra.

I have a betta in my community tetra tank too, and so long there are no issues. Maybe its the color and the type of betta that is important. Experts can comment.
Old 24th September 2018, 12:12   #754
BHPian

Quote:

Do not put in a Betta with guppies. They will fight with each other and Betta will kill them. Angel fish grow real big, and may be too big for your tank.

Betta's will fight with anything that has a flashy tail.

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 24th September 2018 at 12:13.
Old 24th September 2018, 12:41   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this thickness ok for my small tank? Regarding Fishes, i am planning 3 pairs of Neon Tetras , 1-2 pairs of Guppies, 1 pair of Angel fish and 1 Betta maybe.

The thickness is okay IMO. I have a much bigger tank with 6mm glass from the last decade which is going fine. However, the choice of fish, especially the angel is not a good idea. Angels grow big very quickly, and will find the space too less to swim comfortably. Stick to neon/cardinal/glowlight tetra and Guppies.
Old 24th September 2018, 13:03   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Experts, any suggestions of additives to remove or reduce infection in the tank. My tank after more than a decade and a half seems to have picked up puffy eyes infection. In the old days we used to dissolve a capsule or two of terramycin or similar anti-biotic. Look forward toyour suggestions. - Narayan
Old 24th September 2018, 13:42   #757
Senior - BHPian

Tetracycline was what i used to use as well. With good aeration.
Old 24th September 2018, 14:13   #758
Senior - BHPian

A simple question from a noob here.

Our society has a well, and the well water is mildly filtered before we it reaches our bathrooms. Apart from this, there is regular municipality line in the kitchen as drinking water.
Would it be better to use the well water for the tank, as compared to the drinking water we get from the municipality?
My neighbor has a tank and this question was more for him, though I too might set up a tank in future. I have a fascination since long, but do not go ahead for the fear of dead fishes on account of my mistake.

EDIT: I do not think there are any chemicals used in the process of filtration of well water.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 24th September 2018 at 14:26.
Old 24th September 2018, 19:51   #759
Senior - BHPian

Would suggest municipal water with seachem prime.
Old 24th September 2018, 21:09   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Tetracycline was what i used to use as well. With good aeration.
Thank you for always stepping up with your advice and immense knowledge.
Old 16th November 2018, 00:29   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
It is beautiful. Do share more, if you have please?
Thank you Beejay! Will share this years scape later as the competition results are awaited.
Old 16th November 2018, 13:38   #762
BHPian

Sharing couple of Pics of my new setup. Graduated from a 1 Ft. Goldfish Tank to a 1.5 Ft. Cubic Tank as that was the only space i could afford. Currently, it has 4 Neon Tetras, 4 Guppies, 2 Rasboras, 2 Platies, 2 Danios, 2 Black Neon Tetra and 2 other Tetras (Don't recall the name).
They stay pretty happy and seem to gel along well. It's fun to see the Danios playing around with other fishes. I feed them few Hikari Micro Wafers once a day.

Have tried to setup a Natural Plants Tank with Sand substrate and few Plants. An Issue i am facing is that over time, the Plants started going brown. Since then, i have been using "Beginner's Pack Aquarium Tank Fertilizer" by Aquatic Remedies, purchased from Amazon. Post which, there are new leaves grown however, the brown marks are still there on the old one. Any suggestions how to fix it? I am also looking to purchase Seachem Prime.

Since i am a beginner, i would also appreciate any other suggestions or recommendations. If i could also get some pointers on which more plants can i add.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-1.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-2.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-3.jpg  

Old 16th November 2018, 16:32   #763
Senior - BHPian

That is a simple nice looking setup

A few corys would look good at the bottom since you have mostly mid-top dwelling fishes.

With regards to plants going brown, it is a sign of some deficiency. Try liquid fertilizers like Seachem Excel or API Leaf Zone. [I prefer the former]
Old 16th November 2018, 17:13   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have tried to setup a Natural Plants Tank with Sand substrate and few Plants. An Issue i am facing is that over time, the Plants started going brown. Since then, i have been using "Beginner's Pack Aquarium Tank Fertilizer" by Aquatic Remedies, purchased from Amazon. Post which, there are new leaves grown however, the brown marks are still there on the old one. Any suggestions how to fix it? I am also looking to purchase Seachem Prime.
You also need brighter lights if you want good plant growth. At least 2X the current lighting is needed. Also, the gravel you use isnt suitable and sufficient for the plants. Either increase the gravel layer thickness to around 1.5-2inches or under the existing gravel, layer one bag or 3L of aquarium soil. That will have tremendous improvement in plant growth instead of fertilizers. Remember that for the plants to make use of fertilizers it needs good lighting and a good substrate. In my tank I have used fertilizer only once during setup and from the last two years, the plant growth rate is so high that every week I prune the plants and either throw them away or give it to someone.

Last edited by audioholic : 16th November 2018 at 17:16.
Old 17th November 2018, 14:00   #765
Senior - BHPian

This is a 2*1.5*1.5 setup. Runs a top-notch high tech system. Currently, the tank is empty as I'm in the process of minor repair work at the office and moving my other tanks in. This was taken at the peak of its splendour. Will share other pictures as I find the images.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-13919970_1155573561181345_8571726385144362184_o2.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks