Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 17:58   #121
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
But where did the existing fish go? 48 cichlids disappeared and then the green terrors also. Why so frequently changing the fish?
Ah, I should have said this much earlier. I have an ornamental fish farm. Hence, I can very easily change the fish I keep at home. It is only a matter of taking the home fish to the farm, and bringing new fish home.

However, others who do not have this facility are requested to ensure their existing fish receive a good home when they change their set up.
Old 29th December 2015, 18:43   #122
Senior - BHPian

@Lucifer: now you tell us?! :P

What fishes do you have in your farm?
Old 2nd January 2016, 21:41   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

My previously set up tank will undergo renovation in terms of landscaping. Currently got two bags of ADA Amazonia and some other loose soil and ADA Super 4W aquarium additive. My previous set up for reference:

My Fishkeeping hobby-10863936_10152920521603396_6446951513428474309_o.jpg

Work begins tonight Plants arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:38   #124
BHPian

I am a member of Aquarium Hobbyists of Hyderabad. We are a group of people who are passionate about their fishkeeping. We are a close-knit community on social media, and have regular informal meets to share our learning.

We believe our knowledge should be shared with everyone, and not restricted to a select few. Hence, we are organizing the first ever Aquarium Hobbyists Convention in Hyderabad. The convention’s objective is to:

Provide a platform for all aquarium hobbyists in Hyderabad to congregate, and share their experiences & knowledge.

My Fishkeeping hobby-ahh_poster_design_base.jpg

Yours truly shall be hosting this event this coming Sunday. Registrations are almost completed, with limited seats left. In case you are interested, do give a call to the numbers listed in the poster above.
Old 11th January 2016, 12:53   #125
adu
BHPian

There is a really good site that offers quality aquarium items at the best prices I have seen. I have personally purchased multiple items from this site and have found them very efficient, delivery happens in 3-4 days and they are very responsive on email. I have no personal gain here and just sharing with other enthusiastic hobbyists so that you could also benefit. The site is http://www.indianaquarium.com/
Old 11th January 2016, 14:44   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
Just an observation, but it seems that the entire fishkeeping hobby in India runs on Chinese equipment.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Just an observation, but it seems that the entire fishkeeping hobby in India runs on Chinese equipment.
Not just India, and not just fishkeeping. The entire world runs on Chinese equipment.
Old 11th January 2016, 15:45   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Little make over during the Christmas ... added few live plants...
Beautiful. Can be made better by adding more blue danios to the school. Nothing like a big school of blue danios among the green!
Old 11th January 2016, 18:53   #129
BHPian

Guys, need recommendation. I'll be redoing the entire tank - all chiclids have died upon me in the span of 4 months or so... :( All I have left is an Eel - which I'll move to the small aquarium which is also empty.

The longest duration for which the fishes were alive with me was for 2+ years - Bala Sharks & Zebra's. So I am inclined to go ahead with the same. Who all can I combine with Bala Sharks (couple of them) ?

Also, I am planning to change all the gravel too - size is 4 ft * 1.5ft * 1.5ft - how much KG's of gravel I need to buy ? 10 kg ?
Old 11th January 2016, 19:05   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
...all chiclids have died upon me in the span of 4 months or so...
Cichlids are some of the hardiest fish around. I have had both African and American cichlids breed in Hyderabad bore water, which is among the worst water conditions you can have for egg-layers. Questions:
  1. What was your filter? Type? LPH?
  2. How many cichlids? What type of cichlids?
  3. Municipal water or borewell water?
  4. Did you test the pH, temperature and hardness parameters? If yes, then please share?
  5. Did your fish fight each other to death or died due to other reasons?
  6. Did you overfeed them or underfeed them?

I will try to diagnose the cause once you provide me responses to the above questions.
Old 11th January 2016, 20:49   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Work begins tonight Plants arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Completed and running for a week. Plants are now growing like crazy but water seems a bit cloudy. Will arrange the plants and clear water this weekend:

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_1441.jpg
Old 11th January 2016, 21:45   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Cichlids are some of the hardiest fish around. I have had both African and American cichlids breed in Hyderabad bore water, which is among the worst water conditions you can have for egg-layers. Questions:
[/list]
I will try to diagnose the cause once you provide me responses to the above questions.
Hey !
I did posted few pictures of the fishes on Page 5 in this thread - post 69.
[*]What was your filter? Type? LPH?

Dont know what is LPH. But the filter is normal water submersible pump with foam in the lower and upper section. Nothing external of aquarium.
[*]How many cichlids? What type of cichlids?

I just bought looking at them together with the seller ...didnt knew their separate names.
As pointed out by another poster, the fishes were following -
Convict [Central American Cichlid]
Salvini [Central American Cichlid]
Blue Mbuna [African Cichlid, Lake Malawi]
Jewel Cichlid [African Cichlid]
Tiger Barbs
[*]Municipal water or borewell water?

Normal Tap Water, hardness must be around 600-700 range (RO servicing guy came yesterday to test ! )
[*]Did you test the pH, temperature and hardness parameters? If yes, then please share?

Hard water !
Temperature was at 28 - heater was installed.
[*]Did your fish fight each other to death or died due to other reasons?

Oh yes, nipping each other ! No patches on them, no rashes, all died with their fins nipped off.
And the only fish I could locate which was after them was the following - dont know the name ! And this is the ONLY fish left now in the huge 4" tank !

My Fishkeeping hobby-6.jpg

[*]Did you overfeed them or underfeed them?

Bought chiclids Flakes, Blood Worm dried etc - normal regular stuff I have been feeding since last 3/4 years to other fishes (starting from goldfish)

Chiclids were the costliest I have purchased so far, and by far the experience with them was the worst - never knew that I would loose such wonderful so quickly.

Last edited by ptaneja : 11th January 2016 at 21:49.
Old 11th January 2016, 21:53   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
[*]Did you test the pH, temperature and hardness parameters? If yes, then p.
[*]Did your fish fight each other to death or died due to other reasons?
Oh yes, nipping each other ! No patches on them, no rashes, all died with their fins nipped off.
And the only fish I could locate which was after them was the following - dont know the name ! And this is the ONLY fish left now in the huge 4" tank !
I think its a case of World war 3 happening in your tank. Especially if the fish died with their fins nipped off. Not all cichlids go well with every other cichlid. Sometimes they do, while sometimes they become territorial and start fighting.

Isnt temperature on the higher for our tropical climate? I have usually ensured that water stays in range of 24-25. Anything more than that and I can feel the warmth.

Speaking of aggression, my once upon a time oscar was very very aggressive. It swallowed two white cichlids I put into the tank within minutes. The same fish used to stay with a pair of green terrors, a pair of jewel cichlids without doing anything to them. There is no fixed law for compatibility as far as my experience goes. Get small fish, grow them together and they will stay together especially oscars, cichlids etc.
Old 11th January 2016, 22:27   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think its a case of World war 3 happening in your tank. Especially if the fish died with their fins nipped off. Not all cichlids go well with every other cichlid. Sometimes they do, while sometimes they become territorial and start fighting.
Well, whats done is done ... cant help it. What should I go for now...been looking at empty tank
(PS, 28 is the temp when Delhi has 5 to 10 deg C during winter - during summer no heater was installed )

This time i'll be going for a complete revamp.

- New Filter - which one to buy ?
- New Substrate - Will throw existing one out. Looking for black colored gravel...
- Water ? Normal tap water with high TDS(hard water) or half of tap + half of RO ?
- most important - which fishes ? Hard breeds, which wont die so soon..
Old 12th January 2016, 10:05   #135
Senior - BHPian

@ptaneja: any fish will die if we don't provide optimum conditions for their survival and growth.

for your 4x1.5x1.5 tank dwarf cichlids are a good choice. Convict and Salvini's are good choices. I would suggest you get one Oscar and one Convict for your tank.

as for your previous bad experience, i reckon your problem was to do with water conditions due to lack of proper filtration. Cichlids are crap machines and need excellent filtration to do well.

get an external filter and an internal power filter. your tank volume is approx 260 liters so look for filters with a LPH [liter per hour] of 1600-1800.

read up on filtration methods. you need the internal filter to trap the junk and debris. you need the external filter loaded with ceramic rings and bio balls to provide biological filtration.

and please ask in forums and read up on sites like monsterfishkeepers or aquahooby etc to know about your fish before buying them. information like their temperament, required conditions, maximum size etc.

don't go buy fishes blindly or by what the local fish guy tells you. for him its just business. he could care less about fish compatibility and such.

will be more than happy to help if you have more questions

external filter:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Sunsun-Outsid...kAAOSwo8hTqmHu

internal filter:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Atman-AT1100C...4AAOSwHjNV79Xv

gravel:
black is fine. ensure they don't have sharp edges since cichlids like to suck and spit them out. smaller the better as well.

water:
tap water, your main issue is that it contains toxic levels of chlorine. thankfully my apartment building has a well so it helps.

fishes:
you cannot get more hardy fishes than american cihlids.

from aquahobby:

The Responsible Fishkeeper's Manifesto
1) For each aquatic species, there exists a set of accessible conditions (minimum aquarium size, companions, water parameters, nourishment, etc.) in which it can be properly maintained in captivity without loss of its general quality of life.

2) For each aquatic species, there exists a set of accessible procedures to develop commercial breeding programs, or controlled harvesting programs, so as to guarantee sustainable development for the aquarium trade without long-term threat to the wild populations.

3) Responsible fishkeeping is based on seeking, learning, developing and promoting awareness of these conditions and procedures, such that our amateur or professional practice of the hobby does not occur at the expense of our captive pets' well being, nor in detriment to the ecosystem..

oh and please don't buy bala sharks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_shark

Last edited by deathwalkr : 12th January 2016 at 10:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks