Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:49   #91
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

These guys are crazy piscivores and struggling to get them to eat pellets.

Tried Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, hikari sinking cichlid pellets, meal worms, tetra bits. Now have to try blood worms.
These guys are awesome!!

Have you tried feeding them "feeding guppies", brine shrimp or chopped up white fish / prawns?

Alternatively, get TetraBits Cichlid Sticks or Arowana Sticks.

I had a couple with my oscars and they grew up pretty damn fast... Ended up giving them away to a friend once they got big!
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:13   #92
Senior - BHPian

@GTR: They have no issues with gulping down guppies, goldies, platies et all

Drop in pellets, shrimps, blood worms, tetra bits etc they just stare blankly at them. And if fishes don't eat Hikari food then i don't know what to give them...

Anyways, i stumbled on these and tried them today to slight success. At least they ate them and recognized it as food.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/OCEAN-FREE-In...cAAOSwI-BWF2fR

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ocean-Free-Pr...p2054897.l5674

Unlike the norm where such feed is freeze dried, this is a bit different. Have to try the bloodworm in a day or two.

I thought they grew slowly. Ah well, have a 6x2x2 tank with an asian arowana waiting for these guys when they grow up
Old 24th November 2015, 10:36   #93
BHPian

Quote:
@GTR: They have no issues with gulping down guppies, goldies, platies et all

Drop in pellets, shrimps, blood worms, tetra bits etc they just stare blankly at them. And if fishes don't eat Hikari food then i don't know what to give them...

Anyways, i stumbled on these and tried them today to slight success. At least they ate them and recognized it as food.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/OCEAN-FREE-In...cAAOSwI-BWF2fR

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Ocean-Free-Pr...p2054897.l5674

Unlike the norm where such feed is freeze dried, this is a bit different. Have to try the bloodworm in a day or two.

I thought they grew slowly. Ah well, have a 6x2x2 tank with an asian arowana waiting for these guys when they grow up
Starving them for a 24 - 48 hours usually works if you want to switch them on to a new type of feed.

Live blood worms are a pain to clean and also have a whole load of parasites within. I usually avoid them altogether as it also messes up the water condition.
Old 24th November 2015, 12:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

@R32: They are eating the shrimps fine enough Hope they continue. And these are not live. Check the links again.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:29   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Just the thread, I was looking for.. I am sucked in to this hobby since last 3 years and have 3 tanks. 6 ft has silver Arowana and a clutch of parrot cichlids and a tiger Oscar. It is overcrowded but am trying to cope up with 2 canister filters and bimonthly 75% water change.

Have a 2.5ft tank housing a solitary flower horn which has grown to almost 25cm from 4cm in last 18 months.

Then finally a 5 ft tank in balcony housing couple of 7" oscars ,Pleco , 3 iridescent sharks and 2 large goldfish which came to me as a gift. So far oscars have left them alone. Do not recommend mixing goldfish with oscars. But since my goldfish are large and strangely these albino oscars are very docile, have taken the chance. Had to relocate tiger Oscar to 6ft tank since it was aggressive towards goldfish.

Will let the pictures do the talking.

Apologies for dirty flower horn tank. As sunlight falls directly on this tank there is lot of algae growth. Due to Diwali, did not get he time to clean it up.

Attachment 1438646Attachment 1438647Attachment 1438648Attachment 1438649
Ross, somehow your post got my attention. Is that mere coincidental, cannot imagine, I think you will be able to find out some similarities from below!

1. I am currently having 3 aquarium tanks
a. 1 6 Ft ADA (look similar to your 6 ft tank in pics). Currently having 3 arowanas recently added. I will share details later. Tank is running with SunSun 304B external Canister filter with UV light, and also one submersible internal filter with media.
b. 4 Ft SunSun tank. Currently having 14 fishes, 7 Tinfoil Barbs, 3 SK Gold, 2 Tiger Sharks and 2 Silver Sharks. Having them for almost 8 months and they are fully vibrant, playful, colorful and growing.
c. 1.5 Ft RS tank where I am having couple of Neon Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Black Tetras, and Betta (fighter). I tried to keep some guppies also but they were fighting too much and removed them. In the last moment they gave away some babies (guppy fry), out of which I am still having 2 Guppies fry in a separate bowl currently.

2. The car I drive Scorpio SLe

Regards,
narayanang76
Old 26th November 2015, 09:48   #96
BHPian

Looks like we have same taste in hobby and cars, Coincidence indeed.

Eagerly waiting for your pics.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:05   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like we have same taste in hobby and cars, Coincidence indeed.

Eagerly waiting for your pics.
Thank you. Some pics taken from my mobile, sorry about clarity, some of the fishes move fast and hence they are not clearly visible.

@Mods: I tried to edit my earlier post, but couldn't do it since the window expired. Hence posting a new one, apologies for multiple posts.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20151011_084417.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20151031_114900.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20151122_124308.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20151031_182325.jpg  

Old 26th November 2015, 10:12   #98
BHPian

Arowanas are looking good. Are they Jardini? Pls get some bottom feeder as Arrows mostly prowl only top area.
Old 26th November 2015, 11:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Nice asians and nice tank. What's the width?

Your second tank is a bit of a concern though. I'd drop the tinfoils and silver sharks with the aros. Lose the black sharks.

And yes get bottom dwellers for the aro tank. Catfishes, Clown Loaches or Polypterus would be awesome
Old 26th November 2015, 15:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Arowanas are looking good. Are they Jardini? Pls get some bottom feeder as Arrows mostly prowl only top area.
Quote:
Nice asians and nice tank. What's the width?

Your second tank is a bit of a concern though. I'd drop the tinfoils and silver sharks with the aros. Lose the black sharks.

And yes get bottom dwellers for the aro tank. Catfishes, Clown Loaches or Polypterus would be awesome
Following Arowanas in the tank:
1. 10 Inch 24 K Golden Crossback , Asian arowana with Certificate, Chip.
2. 6-7 Inch RTG (Red Tail Gold), Asian arowana with Certificate, Chip.
3. 7-8 Inch Golden Pearl, without Chip or Certificate and I assume they are Australian, so called Jardini.

To mention, I ran around for 3-4 months in the dark to source some arowanas really that was of our likings. Didn't want to go for the silver arowanas. I saw that most aquarium stores don't keep these Asian arowanas, since less supply, and demand cannot be predicted. Lot of fleecing / cheating practices followed where people pass on one in disguise as other. And really really expensive.

Regarding tank mates: My arrows are recently added to the tank, tank was on nitrogen cycle before for approx. 1 month. Fish are slowly recovering from stress (arrived by flight) and slowly started eating, but not yet fully recovered and gained it full potential colors. Hence, for now, I don't want to experiment with other tank mates and run into unnecessary causalities either ways or ammonia overload due to sudden surge of fishes in tank. Currently water quality is monitored (API test kit) daily and water change 15-20 % every alternate days. Once it settles plan is to go with 15-20% weekly water changes as regular. Tank width is 18 inches, inside. I know its little smaller width for arowana, will think about it later when they grow more or my hobby interest matures.

My second tank is what I began my hobby with (I lost one SK Gold fish few weeks back I lost my father), the tank is currently cycled completely (touch wood). Fishes are happy, eating, playful and growing and glowing. I do a 15-20% water change weekly and filter cleaning once in 2 weeks. It just has one top filter, the usual filter comes with these tanks. I don't want to disturb them for the time being. May be later I will do some shuffling around.

Thanks for your appreciations and comments.

Regards,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 26th November 2015 at 15:25.
Old 26th November 2015, 15:31   #101
BHPian

Whew. That is some serious Arowana collection. I got my silver Arowana 2 years back at 6" and now it is nearly 2 ft and little ungainly and ferocious to keep in my main tank. Thinking of giving it back and getting an Asian Arowana.

Where did you source your arrows from and would you mind sharing the cost. Seriously getting tempted to get one asap.
Old 26th November 2015, 16:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Following Arowanas in the tank:
1. 10 Inch 24 K Golden Crossback , Asian arowana with Certificate, Chip.
2. 6-7 Inch RTG (Red Tail Gold), Asian arowana with Certificate, Chip.
3. 7-8 Inch Golden Pearl, without Chip or Certificate and I assume they are Australian, so called Jardini.
The RTG and Crossback must have cost a bomb All i have is a banjar red in a 6x2x2. Bought him for 15k around 7yrs back. 4-6" size. Now he's a monster

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Jardini's are rather aggressive. Do you think it belongs there? Especially considering that the two Asians are the prize gems in that tank.

Also i vaguely remember reading in MFK that two Asian's in a tank is asking for trouble.

The Arowana rules the top as king of the tank

Tinfoils barbs, Silver sharks etc for the middle level

Catfish, Clown loaches or Polypterus or heck even a sting ray for the ground level and they do well as clean up crew.

I really hope you read about Arowana compatibility before buying them. Monsterfishkeepers.com is your best place.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:44   #103
BHPian

Almost half of the aquarium (green color one) in narayanang76's above post, I got a quotation of 21k which includes stand, pump, chips, plants, filter..etc. The aquarium is about 1.5 ft tall (china made acrylic).

Is this that costly ?
Old 9th December 2015, 18:29   #104
Senior - BHPian

Just a few pix to keep the thread alive
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img20151206wa004321.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-20151206_15520821.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img20151109wa001821.jpg  

Old 9th December 2015, 18:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a few pix to keep the thread alive
Awesome machan!

I'd love to keep fishes - cichlids for sure but always worry about leaving them when I am away from home for extended periods.

Most Viewed