Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 19:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Yo Naveeno!

How long are your extended periods away from home usually? You should check out the buttikoferi cichlid on youtube [the one in the first pic]. Crazy tank busters they are.
Old 9th December 2015, 22:54   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Just a few pix to keep the thread alive
Can you please provide their breed names as well. First one looks really good. I love colorful and bright fish.

Noticed your above reply now only. So its buttikoferi cichlid, got it.

Last edited by petrol_power : 9th December 2015 at 22:56. Reason: Missed the above reply
Old 9th December 2015, 22:59   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Following Arowanas in the tank:
1. 10 Inch 24 K Golden Crossback , Asian arowana with Certificate, Chip.
2. 6-7 Inch RTG (Red Tail Gold), Asian arowana with Certificate, Chip.
3. 7-8 Inch Golden Pearl, without Chip or Certificate and I assume they are Australian, so called Jardini.

Regards,
narayanang76
Ohh I never knew that fish also came with certificates. They should be really expensive then. And utmost care should also be provided. Mind to share the costs involved?

And what is a "chip" ?
Old 10th December 2015, 10:07   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Can you please provide their breed names as well. First one looks really good. I love colorful and bright fish.

Noticed your above reply now only. So its buttikoferi cichlid, got it.
Yep the first tank is a 4ft tank with a buttikoferi cichlid, a severum, clown loaches, yo yo loaches and sailfin plecos

Second tank is a grow out tank for indonesian datnoids. it's a 20"x20"x14" tank and has three of them. Feeding them on ocean free's insta fresh shrimps and live feed caught from my pond.

Butti's are very aggressive after they reach a certain size. Once he gets there will be relocating him to a 4x2x2 tank just for him.

Dat's will go into my arowana tank [6x2x2].

And Asian Arowana's are the one's that come with certificate and chip. Never really bothered to check and verify if it does have a chip :P

Asian arowanas are by far the most good looking and expensive of aros.

The cheapest would be a green arowana, then yellow tail, banjar red. After that the price would exponentially rise up. You have red tail goldens, highback goldens, chilli reds etc etc etc
Old 23rd December 2015, 17:00   #110
Senior - BHPian

Small update:

Got myself a juvenile Royal Pleco Happiness! I think it's L191, need him to grow up a bit for me to be sure.

The LFS also had a Polka Dot Pleco but was not keen on getting it. Tempted to but didn't give in.

Trying to sell off my Butiikoferi back to the LFS and use the tank for my Datnoids.

As with many things the only thing holding me back is money money money.
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:21   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Ohh I never knew that fish also came with certificates. They should be really expensive then. And utmost care should also be provided. Mind to share the costs involved?

And what is a "chip" ?
What a fascinating and informative thread!

I notice though that this page doesn't have any pictures which is a bit of a dampener as I constantly keep coming back to this thread to ogle at the pictures.

I suppose the chip is a microchip similar to what they put on pedigreed and other dogs. I assume this is used only on larger fish. Is there a chip issuing body in India similar to Kennel Club of India. Would like more info please.

Quote:
As with many things the only thing holding me back is money money money.
As someone who is a total newb, would you mind sharing what range these fish sell at?
Old 24th December 2015, 11:28   #112
Senior - BHPian

@nowwhat?: Fancy plecos usually sell for prices upwards of Rs.2,000/pc for a tiny specimen. The royal pleco i got cost me Rs.2,500.

Buttikoferi was a steal at Rs.400. Now that he's getting to the stage where the tank might be small for him, selling it off back to the aquarium for store credit

My indo datnoids were Rs.600/pc and worth every rupee! I love them to bits. My 6yr old daughter calls them datties :P

Shall be sure to put up pics.

And regarding microchips in arowanas, you can get some info here:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...rowanas.83886/

For a hobbyist, the only constraints are space, time and money. Space for tanks big and small, time to feed them, change water etc, and money of course to buy tanks and exotic fishes and the equipment to take care of them.

Having a supportive wife also helps!

edit: here's a pic taken by my wife with her nexus5 yesterday. This is the alpha among the three datnoids.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img20151223wa002021.jpg  

Last edited by deathwalkr : 24th December 2015 at 11:33.
Old 28th December 2015, 18:29   #113
BHPian

Little make over during the Christmas ... added few live plants. Bacopa, Java Moss, Java Fern etc.
My Fishkeeping hobby-20151228_175925.jpgMy Fishkeeping hobby-20151228_175940.jpg

And the funny ghost shrimps.

My Fishkeeping hobby-20151228_175953.jpg
Old 29th December 2015, 10:52   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Little make over during the Christmas ... added few live plants. Bacopa, Java Moss, Java Fern etc.
Very nice and clean setup! Just perfect. Love it
Old 29th December 2015, 11:34   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Very nice and clean setup! Just perfect. Love it
Thank you, :-)
All the stones that i have, were picked up from my daughter and me during the small hikes around the kaveri river and near by hillocks. We are enjoying this quite much. :-)

the tank is become cleaner because of the plants and nothing else. Earlier the murkiness wouldnt go, because the good bacteria build up took a long while. And we also have lot of fish. Many many small shoals moving around all the while.
Old 29th December 2015, 13:40   #116
BHPian

Okay. I have been reading this thread with quite some interest for quite some time. Here go my Full Tank Shots (FTS).

My Fishkeeping hobby-20151229-09.43.16.jpg
This was a year ago. 48 African Cichlids in my 5ft X 2ft X 1.5ft tank. 12 each of Banana, Strawberry, Electric Blue and Ice Blue.

My Fishkeeping hobby-20151229-09.38.19.jpg
This was 6 months ago. A community tank of Texas and Green Terror, and a solitary Red Jewel.

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_0877.jpg
This was set up on Sunday, just two days ago. Low tech planted set up. My first brush with a planted aquarium. Fingers crossed.
Old 29th December 2015, 16:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

The planted tank setup looks good. Hope it sticks with you

What fishes are you going to get?
Old 29th December 2015, 17:02   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
This was set up on Sunday, just two days ago. Low tech planted set up. My first brush with a planted aquarium. Fingers crossed.
Looks wonderful, what is the substrate ? ADA Amazonia ? Also, how many Kg's of substrate did it take for this scape ?
Old 29th December 2015, 17:12   #119
BHPian

Quote:
...What fishes are you going to get?
Angels mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
...what is the substrate ? ADA Amazonia ? Also, how many Kg's of substrate did it take for this scape ?
Yes, ADA substrate. 31kg of substrate. Close to 80kg of rock. 400l tank volume. About 30kg glass weight. So that is approximately 540kg in all.
Old 29th December 2015, 17:31   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Okay. I have been reading this thread with quite some interest for quite some time. Here go my Full Tank Shots (FTS).

Attachment 1454175
This was a year ago. 48 African Cichlids in my 5ft X 2ft X 1.5ft tank. 12 each of Banana, Strawberry, Electric Blue and Ice Blue.

Attachment 1454176
This was 6 months ago. A community tank of Texas and Green Terror, and a solitary Red Jewel.

Attachment 1454177
But where did the existing fish go? 48 cichlids disappeared and then the green terrors also. Why so frequently changing the fish?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks