Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2017, 18:31   #511
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
This is possibly the only way. If you are relocating by road, ensure the oxygen filled bags are placed in a carton. Keep the carton in the boot and ensure it is tightly placed so it does not slide about. If you are driving a hatch or an SUV, do not use the air conditioning - the temperature drop is fatal. If in a sedan, stop every 4 hours or so to check the temperature of the water - the boot can get really hot in the Indian summer. If it is getting too hot, then place the carton inside the cabin and drive without the air con.

At no point do you open the bags themselves. This is critical.
@dre@ms, all the points mentioned in the above post are good except for the air conditioning part. Do make sure that the oxygen filled bags are inside the car with air conditioning. Simple rule is that dissolved oxygen level decrease with increase in temperature, so cooler the water better chances of survival for the fish. Additionally you can use API Ammo lock added to the water and stop feeding the fish a day before to reduce the chances of them pooping and result in ammonia burns. We used to travel around TamilNadu collecting fishes from different localities and bring them back to Chennai by the same method with very less or zero mortality rates by car or train, depending on the distance.
Old 26th March 2017, 19:24   #512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
...Simple rule is that dissolved oxygen level decrease with increase in temperature, so cooler the water better chances of survival for the fish...
So one should keep fish in ice cold water during transport? He has tropical fish that are most comfortable in 26-28C water. Air-conditioning will drop temperature to below 20. Dissolved oxygen level is not even a factor here. The bag is under sufficient pressure. There will be enough oxygen at 26-28C.

For tropical fish, water at 20C is akin to a human in the Arctic in tropical summer clothing. It will cause death.
Old 26th March 2017, 20:09   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
So one should keep fish in ice cold water during transport? He has tropical fish that are most comfortable in 26-28C water. Air-conditioning will drop temperature to below 20. Dissolved oxygen level is not even a factor here. The bag is under sufficient pressure. There will be enough oxygen at 26-28C.

For tropical fish, water at 20C is akin to a human in the Arctic in tropical summer clothing. It will cause death.
@lucifer1881

I am not sure what your preference when it comes to in car temperature, but mostly the comfortable temperature is around 20-24 which I assume will be what the op will be using. Also fish are cold blooded and they can adapt to the change in temperate within that range. It is far better then transporting them in the boot with the possible chance of rise in temperature and hence the risk of decrease in oxygen level and considering the size of the fishes he has mentioned. I have done this and hence I advised. If your experience is otherwise please state so.
Old 26th March 2017, 20:37   #514
Senior - BHPian

I have transported small fishes for four hours car travel with AC, and all were in good health. The shopkeeper had said they would live in the extra air filled bags for 12 hours. Your Hyd to Chennai is around 12 hours, I guess.

Also, driving non-air conditioned car for extended hours can get uneasy for humans, and fatal for fishes. I don't think the air temperature drops below 20 in rear seat/boot, but without AC, it can certainly rise above 40 degrees very quickly in a short parked session in heat. So keep that AC ON and don't keep the fish right in front of AC! Make sure you put the fish bags in a bucket or something so that they don't go rolling around with every turn. And relax, fish live in a constantly moving river!

I think more serious problem is introducing them in a non-cycled tank than transporting them. I don't know whether it makes sense, but perhaps transport extra water from existing fishtank in some container? So when you release the fishes, at least some of the water would be having good bacteria. Big fishes are usually more resilient to water changes than smaller ones, though.
Old 3rd April 2017, 07:48   #515
BHPian

Transportation of my fishes were a big success. Items used,
40L bucket with 20L water
Battery operated air pump. Battery replaced once.

The bucket was kept in the floor of the rear seat and a mug of water was removed and refilled for every 4hrs. Total journey time was 13hrs odd.

Happy to see them enjoy their new life in Chennai in their temp setup with their already adapted water.

Last edited by dre@ms : 3rd April 2017 at 07:51.
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:28   #516
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a job well done. Send a pic of their new home
Old 6th April 2017, 20:35   #517
BHPian

Jeeez....I was missing a small chiclid, and was thinking that its hiding somewhere, but just now saw its tail poking out of my Oscar's mouth!!

Lesson learnt ... Consider size before moving them together.!!
Old 19th April 2017, 11:09   #518
BHPian

Started a new planted tank project with some exotic plants (medium to high light and CO2).

Custom tank: 2 x 1 x 1 (Extra Clear / toughened)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia with super4 (9 litres / 7 kg)
Light: 20w Domestic LEDs
CO2: DIY kit from aliexpress (used with water/sugar/dry yeast)
Filteration: sunsun cannister 402B

High ground:
Staurogyne Repens
Staurogyne Porto velho
Rotala rotundifolia mini

Middle ground (all tied/glued to malaysian driftwood)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Anubias (nana, gold and mini)
Buce Palandra ( 2 varieties)
Christmas Moss

Carpet:
Hemianthus callitrichoides (Cuba)
Micranthemum (Monte Carlo)

Really excited about this one. will add 6-8 Galaxy Rasboras in a couple of weeks once the plants settle in.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-20170417_002745.jpg  

Last edited by R32_GTR : 19th April 2017 at 11:15.
Old 19th April 2017, 13:42   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Started a new planted tank project with some exotic plants (medium to high light and CO2).Really excited about this one. will add 6-8 Galaxy Rasboras in a couple of weeks once the plants settle in
Do post a pic once the tank settles, should look pretty good in a few months time.

Quote:
Light: 20w Domestic LEDs
CO2: DIY kit from aliexpress (used with water/sugar/dry yeast)
Thanks to your earlier suggestion,I used 20w led tubelights and got very good results!
Can you share the product link to DIY kit from aliexpress, I was thinking of adding CO2 and rescaping once summer is over.
Old 19th April 2017, 17:06   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thanks to your earlier suggestion,I used 20w led tubelights and got very good results!
Can you share the product link to DIY kit from aliexpress, I was thinking of adding CO2 and rescaping once summer is over.
I got these vanity fixtures from the local light shop. Not Tubelights.

Below are simple DIY CO2 kits available on aliexpress - Just search for "DIY CO2 kit". I got one of each type for under $10 each on some flash sale.

Just need to add the water/sugar/dry yeast mix and its good for a week... need to change the solution once every weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-se34001c0.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-professionalaquariumfontbdiybfontfontbco2bfontgeneratorfontbkit.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-fontbaquariumbfontdiyfontbco2bfontgeneratorfontbsystem.jpg  

Old 19th April 2017, 19:41   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got these vanity fixtures from the local light shop. Not Tubelights.

Below are simple DIY CO2 kits available on aliexpress - Just search for "DIY CO2 kit". I got one of each type for under $10 each on some flash sale.

Just need to add the water/sugar/dry yeast mix and its good for a week... need to change the solution once every weekend.
Thank you, I did a search and watched a couple of videos so got a fair idea on what I'll need for a DIY setup.

How do you plan to regulate CO2 at night ? Is it better to use an air pump or shut off each night and restart in the morning ?
Old 24th April 2017, 12:30   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

How do you plan to regulate CO2 at night ? Is it better to use an air pump or shut off each night and restart in the morning ?
It comes with a regulator.

Depending on what fish/shrimp you have in the tank, you can choose to have an air pump.
Under ideal conditions, the plants make enough O2 to sustain shrimp and smaller tetras.

Alternatively, if you have glass lily outlet from your filtration; it also creates vortex and surface agitation and surface agitation will lead to increase of oxygen (this is what I have started using to avoid air-pumps in a planted tank).
Old 24th April 2017, 14:02   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It comes with a regulator.

Depending on what fish/shrimp you have in the tank, you can choose to have an air pump.
Under ideal conditions, the plants make enough O2 to sustain shrimp and smaller tetras.

Alternatively, if you have glass lily outlet from your filtration; it also creates vortex and surface agitation and surface agitation will lead to increase of oxygen (this is what I have started using to avoid air-pumps in a planted tank).
Interesting accessory this glass lily outlet, didn't know it existed. I use a spray bar to create agitation. I have cardinals,rummy nose and harlequin's with a 100 or so red cherry shrimps. My tank is around 55gallons and i'm wondering if DIY CO2 will be too much work in the long run.

As of now, pressurized CO2 with a solenoid (pricey) seems a safer bet since it doesn't require much intervention once set up with a timer.
Old 5th May 2017, 17:02   #524

I am new to Fishkeeping and would love to have your advice. Getting myself a 3ftx1.5ftx1.5ft toughened glass aquarium

1. What is the best filter to have with it? - On a budget
2. I am thinking of having guppies and mollies to start with. Is that a good start?

Essentials - Filter, tank, fishes

Would love to hear from anyone your personal experience. Can even meet if you are from Hyderabad.
Old 6th May 2017, 10:18   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdriver View Post
I am new to Fishkeeping and would love to have your advice. Getting myself a 3ftx1.5ftx1.5ft toughened glass aquarium

1. What is the best filter to have with it? - On a budget
2. I am thinking of having guppies and mollies to start with. Is that a good start?

Essentials - Filter, tank, fishes

Would love to hear from anyone your personal experience. Can even meet if you are from Hyderabad.
That is a nice tank to start the hobby with. Guppies and Mollies are hardy fishes and are ideal for beginners. Instead of Mollies you could also look at Swordtails. For mid layer take a look at the commonly available black widow tetras. Do not get a sucker no matter what the LFS guy will tell you.

You could get a sunsun canister filter like their HW-302 model or you could look at Hang on filters. Remember that mechanical filters may make your tank look clear and clean but you need biological filtration as well to ensure the water is healthy as well.

Look at tank photos in google, get an idea to set it up, take your time to set the tank, run the tank and then get the fishes after a week or so...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks