Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 19:03   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngdriver View Post
I don't know what happened there. Uploaded on imgur and provided the link. Attachments seem to be working fine. Please check now.
No clue if they would be aquarium safe...best bet would be the smooth pebble type stones/rocks for a tropical aquarium. Driftwood also helps.
Old 11th May 2017, 17:32   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Started a new planted tank project with some exotic plants (medium to high light and CO2).

Custom tank: 2 x 1 x 1 (Extra Clear / toughened)
Substrate: ADA Amazonia with super4 (9 litres / 7 kg)
Light: 20w Domestic LEDs
CO2: DIY kit from aliexpress (used with water/sugar/dry yeast)
Filteration: sunsun cannister 402B

High ground:
Staurogyne Repens
Staurogyne Porto velho
Rotala rotundifolia mini

Middle ground (all tied/glued to malaysian driftwood)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Anubias (nana, gold and mini)
Buce Palandra ( 2 varieties)
Christmas Moss

Carpet:
Hemianthus callitrichoides (Cuba)
Micranthemum (Monte Carlo)

Really excited about this one. will add 6-8 Galaxy Rasboras in a couple of weeks once the plants settle in.
Quick update on the new planted scape:-
  • Added some spiderwood
  • Introduced some red cherry shrimp (from the other planted tank)
  • And got a white dumbo/elephant ear betta
All settled in and the plants are showing good growth! And while waiting for this tank to settle, started another Iwagumi hardscape in a 20 gallon cube with some seiryu rock (Testing background colors for depth); really wish this was 3-4 times the size
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-20170511_171203_resized.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-20170511_172821_resized.jpg  

Old 11th May 2017, 18:51   #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
No clue if they would be aquarium safe...best bet would be the smooth pebble type stones/rocks for a tropical aquarium. Driftwood also helps.
Sure. I have made a 3D design of the complete aquarium and stand that I'm getting built.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/fKI...rMTzKv8eIFcuk=

Notes:
I am planning to have the inlet and outlet pipes from the filter(Sunsun HW303A) concealed into the left and right sides of the aquarium.

The canister sits at the bottom in the cabin designated

All the electrical points are also in there

The three rod like looking things on the top are the led strips that I imagined. My plan is to have the led strips connected in series and then have the male end of it attached to them so that I can remove the complete top for maintenance

I am also planning to have a usb cable run to the top so that I can plan for a fan

All the heater and lighting cables also run thru the ply on the sides.
Old 11th May 2017, 18:58   #544
Senior - BHPian

Autocad? Man, now you are talking unfortunately it's asking for an account to view
Old 12th May 2017, 10:00   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Quick update on the new planted scape:-
  • Added some spiderwood
  • Introduced some red cherry shrimp (from the other planted tank)
  • And got a white dumbo/elephant ear betta
All settled in and the plants are showing good growth! And while waiting for this tank to settle, started another Iwagumi hardscape in a 20 gallon cube with some seiryu rock (Testing background colors for depth); really wish this was 3-4 times the size
Looking good

Meanwhile my tank is going through a nightmare with sudden deaths. Lost two clown loach, one yo-yo loach, 5 juvenile malabar danios and 1 juvenile rainbow fish. Culprit i reckon was a dead loach stuck inside a cave and was rotting away which pumped up the nitrate levels :(

Did a major water change, siphoned out lot of junk, added seachem prime with new water...Hopefully tank pulls out of this. Need to check nitrate again today.
Old 12th May 2017, 12:54   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking good

Meanwhile my tank is going through a nightmare with sudden deaths. Lost two clown loach, one yo-yo loach, 5 juvenile malabar danios and 1 juvenile rainbow fish. Culprit i reckon was a dead loach stuck inside a cave and was rotting away which pumped up the nitrate levels :(

Did a major water change, siphoned out lot of junk, added seachem prime with new water...Hopefully tank pulls out of this. Need to check nitrate again today.
Sheesh! Thats bad. :(

R32- wont they fighter eat the shrimps?
Old 12th May 2017, 18:10   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Looking good

Damn!
I had a bunch (about 6) of Electric Blue Rams disappear from the main tank this week. Still not sure where they went. Problems of having big / tall tanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Sheesh! Thats bad. :(

R32- wont they fighter eat the shrimps?

He does eat a smaller ones from time to time if not fed. Had done this on another smaller planted tank for "Population control".

These shrimps multiply like its nobodies business given the right water conditions and are a pain to sieve out in a planted tank!
Old 12th May 2017, 18:22   #548
BHPian

Guys, i have a 30inch high aqua...how do you guys clean the bottom? Clean out the gravel?
Old 16th May 2017, 15:03   #549
Senior - BHPian

I recently overhauled the entire tank after about 8 months of extreme poor upkeep. The fishes were removed to a clean tank and everything including gravel went for a wash. As I did 100% water change, I let the tank culture for 2 days by running old filter, checked pH level after 2 days and the tank had stabilized. Meanwhile the fishes had whale of a time in the small tank.
Since we both travel a lot, I cannot have a very detailed tank so picked up the ornaments with theme of wrecks. Sub has been there for a longtime now. Will continue with wreck theme and add a rather large ship wreck. The aircraft wreck is the latest addition. Added the dum-dum head as it's a gift from my neighbor's kid. She also insisted that I put the lamp inside as 'HOUSY" for the fish.
There are three pairs - clown loaches literally live inside the sub. The lighting is blue:

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20170515_220624.jpg
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20170515_220551.jpg

Regards-Sonu

Last edited by ariesonu : 16th May 2017 at 15:05.
Old 16th May 2017, 19:40   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Guys, i have a 30inch high aqua...how do you guys clean the bottom? Clean out the gravel?
This is the siphon brand i use:
http://www.pythonproducts.com/products.html

They have multiple options for different heights and lengths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I recently overhauled the entire tank after about 8 months of extreme poor upkeep. The fishes were removed to a clean tank and everything including gravel went for a wash. As I did 100% water change, I let the tank culture for 2 days by running old filter, checked pH level after 2 days and the tank had stabilized. Meanwhile the fishes had whale of a time in the small tank.

There are three pairs - clown loaches literally live inside the sub.
Hope you checked for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites as well?

And Clowns and Africans require completely different water parameters to thrive. Hope you have considered that. And setting up a tank which is as close to their natural habitat would be a great idea. It does seem to make a difference as per recent studies.

As for clowns being completely inside the sub, it's strange because Clowns are generally very active and outgoing fishes.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:56   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you checked for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites as well?
And Clowns and Africans require completely different water parameters to thrive. Hope you have considered that. As for clowns being completely inside the sub, it's strange because Clowns are generally very active and outgoing fishes.
Yes Sir, I did.
I have had two tanks earlier but due to recent home changes, had to settle down to one tank, thus the AFROS & CLOWNS have ended up together.
They have gelled well and what I meant by CL in sub means that they do not allow others to venture into it.
Taking your advise, I will add some silicon plants later, am not fond of plastic ones. Indeed the tank looks too bland without plants.

Regards-Sonu
Old 17th May 2017, 11:57   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Yes Sir, I did.
I have had two tanks earlier but due to recent home changes, had to settle down to one tank, thus the AFROS & CLOWNS have ended up together.
They have gelled well and what I meant by CL in sub means that they do not allow others to venture into it.
Taking your advise, I will add some silicon plants later, am not fond of plastic ones. Indeed the tank looks too bland without plants.

Regards-Sonu
From what i can see, you have Lake Malawi Cichlids. If yes, they are of two types, Mbunas and Haps.

Mbunas are cave/rock dwellers while Haps prefer open waters. Plants don't come in the picture. And mostly will be eaten by them.

They prefer high ph water conditions.

Clowns on the other hand love plants, driftwoods, caves and whatever not to hide and play in but they prefer lower ph waters.

Which is why it becomes a pain to keep both together as you might not be doing justice to one of the species.
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:58   #553
Senior - BHPian

My new Green Terror. He was all skin and bones when i got him. Eating nicely now, hope he fattens up soon
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-1.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-2.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-3.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-4.jpg  

Old 15th July 2017, 14:57   #554
Senior - BHPian

I got 3 fishes recently. They are about 1 1/2 inch long. I was told they were cichlids. Can anyone identify them?
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_0066.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_0064.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_0062.jpg  

Old 15th July 2017, 15:16   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I got 3 fishes recently. They are about 1 1/2 inch long. I was told they were cichlids. Can anyone identify them?
Yes they are very common cichlids. They come in various colours and patterns and are good if you want a colorful aquarium Give them a good substrate and some rocks and they will love the aquarium.

Most Viewed