Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 16:14   #136
BHPian

Re: Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

Is there a channel for the NPR equivalent in the Indian scenario? Every time I think radio, the beautiful voice of the Terry Gross rings in my ears doing those wonderful interviews of guests from a wide variety of backgrounds and how genuine she comes across.
Old 9th November 2018, 17:37   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Google Play Music seems interesting. 99 bucks a month for unlimited downloads and streaming. Am more keener on the unlimited downloads thing, to just save up on all the MP3's. Good thing is I can cancel any time, and restart the service anytime too.

Am I missing something?
Old 9th November 2018, 23:42   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Google Play Music seems interesting. 99 bucks a month for unlimited downloads and streaming. Am more keener on the unlimited downloads thing, to just save up on all the MP3's. Good thing is I can cancel any time, and restart the service anytime too.

Am I missing something?
That sounds like a good deal. Are you sure there are no hidden asterisks? IIRC, it is $9 here every month! And yes, you can download the music but it will disappear as soon as you stop paying for it.

I love Spotify. Got so used to it I bought a year's license.
Old 10th November 2018, 01:13   #139
BHPian

I use Spotify and have been using for the past year. Their collection is great and their playlist is spot on for my taste. Slightly offtopic, Sirius XM is offering a 4 month free of premium streaming https://care.siriusxm.com/sirpromopl...crm_110218_sxm
Old 10th November 2018, 06:29   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I use Spotify and have been using for the past year. Their collection is great and their playlist is spot on for my taste. Slightly offtopic, Sirius XM is offering a 4 month free of premium streaming https://care.siriusxm.com/sirpromopl...crm_110218_sxm

Spotify is awesome, unfortunately it's not available in India. Earlier unused to listen using a cracked apk but now they have banned it too. :(
Old 10th November 2018, 08:50   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
That sounds like a good deal. Are you sure there are no hidden asterisks? IIRC, it is $9 here every month! And yes, you can download the music but it will disappear as soon as you stop paying for it.

I love Spotify. Got so used to it I bought a year's license.
Weird. Everywhere i checked, they say you can move the mp3's wherever you want to continue listening to them without streaming. They get downloaded as mp3 files to a folder on your phone.

9 usd in india, nobody will bite.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:03   #142
BHPian

I use Wynk as they have a good collection of songs across genres, and even include the classics such as ABBA, BoneyM, The Beatles, songs.etc.

The Premium (ad-free + unlimited download) version costs Rs. 99 per month, unless you're on Airtel, in which case, even the Premium version is free.

The only issue is during calls. While it pauses automatically when I get a call, resuming the song after the call is over needs to be done manually.
Old 11th November 2018, 07:40   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
You deserve a salute, my friend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
This is amazing.

Thank you so much for your warm words. Not being pushy, but please forward this to people you know are also interested in music.

We need to be reminded again of the standard of songs we had earlier, especially in the Hindi category..
Old 11th November 2018, 07:43   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_are_you View Post
Spotify is awesome, unfortunately it's not available in India. Earlier unused to listen using a cracked apk but now they have banned it too. :(
I use the Browsec VPN on Firefox, and use their website on my laptop ( I prefer it over phone for everything ) for playback. It's definitely not as convenient as having the dedicated app, but the effort is worth the Discover Weekly playlist.
It helped me discover XXXTENTACION much before he passed away.
Old 11th November 2018, 08:42   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I use the Browsec VPN on Firefox, and use their website on my laptop ( I prefer it over phone for everything ) for playback. It's definitely not as convenient as having the dedicated app, but the effort is worth the Discover Weekly playlist.
It helped me discover XXXTENTACION much before he passed away.
Thank you. Will try Browsec VPN today.
Old 13th November 2018, 15:36   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Where do I buy legal music for South Indian movies or Bollywood movies ? Being on the internet always is not an option for me.
You can try Raam's Musique inside the Public Utility Building, MG Road. This is on the first floor, behind Shiv Sagar (erstwhile Ullas). Was buying cassettes and CDs from him from as far back as early 90s. He is still there.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:58   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
You can try Raam's Musique inside the Public Utility Building, MG Road. This is on the first floor, behind Shiv Sagar (erstwhile Ullas). Was buying cassettes and CDs from him from as far back as early 90s. He is still there.
A few months back I went in search of Calypso, a music store in Jayanagar Bangalore, I noticed that it had changed location sometime back. Moving from prime spot to a basement surely meant that they weren't selling much.

But I wanted to try a new cd and compare it to Google play music streamed through Chromecast audio. I did not find it to be any different, the streaming somehow felt better and I wasted some money buying The Who.

So Google Play Music it is for me, works incredibly well with google assistants and Chromecast. I don't mind spending 90 INR a month on something so useful.
Old 28th December 2018, 00:25   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
So Google Play Music it is for me, works incredibly well with google assistants and Chromecast. I don't mind spending 90 INR a month on something so useful.
Even I was on Google play music 99/- month subscription until recently.
My Cr card linked to the Google account expired , on renewing the card the Payment gateway fails with some error.
Google support is pathetic at the least, it has been almost a month and they are not able to fix it. They keep giving canned updates saying our technical team is troubleshooting the issue.

So will be exploring Amazon Prime Music or Spotify
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:59   #149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotify launching in India soon (source). Just hope that unlike the rubbish Indian Netflix, we get the full music catalogue here. I think we will as the music business isn't as complicated as the movies business.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:49   #150
BHPian

Spotify is available in google play store from today. Premium starts from 120 per month. The collection is pretty good, no doubt, they have indie artists from ritviz to naezy. It's time I skip a track on Spotify ��

Most Viewed