Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 14:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

For Western music, I use Groove (previously XBox music, and called Zune before that) and Wynk from Airtel for Hindi/Bollywood music.

I tried the free Apple Music for 3 months, but never came around to using it much, the interface was much too confusing to use (availability of Taylor Swift's latest album was the only saving grace).

Spotify should be great too, but again getting it to work in India would be too convoluted.
Old 1st December 2015, 14:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am also a big user of TuneIn radio. however you need to put some effort finding the right streaming stations of one's choice. I normally listen to 1.FM stations. They have all genres covered but particularly good with classic rock. Its not ad free but not too obtrusive in my view.
Old 1st December 2015, 14:56   #18
BHPian

Apple Music only. Con: Unbelievably bad user interface software. Its a huge mess.
Old 1st December 2015, 15:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

I used to use TuneIn on my HTC device up to around 1 year back. Since then, I have moved on, from both the HTC Device and from TuneIn, on to Rdio. My experience with Rdio over TuneIn is that:
1. it streams better, even in poorer connections while roaming
2. it has a more intuitive interface and makes it easier for me to find music I like, or I may like
3. it has an equally good collection of tracks as any other mainstream music service
4. it allows downloading and saving of tracks an easy affair

- I use the full service paid option.
Old 1st December 2015, 15:22   #20
BHPian

I prefer using Spotify for all the latest international tracks and Saavn for desi Bollywood stuff.
Both have reasonable libraries and are amongst the first to update their libraries with the latest music launches.
Old 1st December 2015, 15:22   #21
BHPian

Anyone heard of Rdio. This has been my favourite online radio with a big collection of music of various genre. Search any song and it will go on based on the song you have chosen. There is an option to have a custom station based on your liking just by choosing three artists of your liking and a playlist will be generated based on the genre and similar artists to what you have chosen.

Sadly this is nearing its death as it is acquired by Pandora.

Please find it here:http://www.rdio.com/
Old 1st December 2015, 15:31   #22
BHPian

I use RadioTunes (used to be sky.fm earlier). Has very good channels for western music and if you subscribe to the "premium" at USD 7 per month, you get high quality streaming and zero advertisements.

iTunes radio is great too - have subscribed to the family pack
Old 1st December 2015, 15:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Since I have a Denon Network player, I play 1.fm - my favourite stations are the Classic Rock station and Country. Really good. Also iHeartRadio on the PS4.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:16   #24
BHPian

I use the Wynk paid subsciption (Rs 129 I think), YouTube and di.fm.

Have tried Gaana, Apple, Saavn etc but Wynk has benefits to Airtel users so have stuck onto that since the past few months. Wynk is primarily used when I'm running or in the car to stream music. The download and play offline feature is great but with the catch that an active subscription has to be there to play the music (also these songs can only be played through the app).

YouTube and DI are used on the laptop at office or at home.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:20   #25

I have been using Saavn since 2011, mainly due to its good bollywood collection during those days and mainly due to limited app options.

I have recently started using Wynk music, and the collection is the best amongst the competition whether its bollywood or regional music. Even the western collection is upto my needs. Streaming is super speed, offline download option is available, and the best part is Wynk has been renewing my unlimited free offer of Wynk Plus from last 4 months
These days, i listen only to Wynk music on my Elite i20

And, yes the streaming of Saavn sucks, even in 4G network.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:29   #26
BHPian

I use the Spotify via the VPN in India and it is just "amazing!".

Their collection is extraordinary and still haven't found a case where I wanted to listen to a song and they didn't have it.

The moods section invigorates in whatever task you are at, be it relaxing Sunday evenings or the gym workouts or the classics!

For Bollywood - it is been Gaana, they have been changing quite a lot of things from past few months and it is been good till date.
Old 1st December 2015, 17:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I use the Spotify via the VPN in India and it is just "amazing!".
Can you please translate this for a non-tech guy? I tried to use it but says that the app can't be used in India
Old 1st December 2015, 17:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Can you please translate this for a non-tech guy? I tried to use it but says that the app can't be used in India
Using a VPN service will fool Spotify's servers into believing that the user is in the US, thereby allowing one to listen to Spotify. Using a VPN will also allow one to watch Netflix and all other services that are currently limited to US residents.

Most of the better VPN services are paid at around 10 to 15 USD per month; you can however start off with a free trial and see if it works for you.
Old 1st December 2015, 18:28   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
Anyone heard of Rdio. This has been my favourite online radio with a big collection of music of various genre. Search any song and it will go on based on the song you have chosen. There is an option to have a custom station based on your liking just by choosing three artists of your liking and a playlist will be generated based on the genre and similar artists to what you have chosen.

Sadly this is nearing its death as it is acquired by Pandora.

Please find it here:http://www.rdio.com/

Rdio was a subset of Shazam - Ive been using Shazam for a while to figure out what song is playing, especially when in a shop or pub or restaurant and if I like the song in question.
Old 1st December 2015, 19:01   #30
BHPian

I recently started to use the subscription plan of rdio, I don't know what's going to happen to the Indian part of it now that they are being bought by Pandora.

Rdio has been very good for their large music collection, very rarely do I come across something they don't have.
Diesel_convert is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed