Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2016, 17:34   #76
BHPian

Re: Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I tried Wynk and was satisfied with the music content on offer and the speed of downloads including the quality of the songs. But what I wasn't able to configure was that it didn't allow me to toggle between songs. If I play a song from the downloads option, then I cant switch the track in between and what it does is keeps adding the songs to into a queue. It is highly annoying. As a result deleted it from my phone and now I am on the lookout for a new service with the requirements being option to download songs even if I can play them only through the app and a decent player with options to play-around and toggle between the list of downloaded songs.
Exactly why I have not been able to like Wynk as much as I'd want to, especially with the price they are asking. Gaana is pretty good in that sense.
Apple music is also fine except that it takes a little time to load if you are on a slow connection. Saavn, I think is again closer to Apple in terms of UI.

For UI, Spotify>Gaana>Apple>Saavn>Wynk
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:52   #77
BHPian

Do Spotify using BHPians use a VPN ? Is one needed ? Also how did you initially setup your accounts ?

On a separate note, I am really irritated with Apple Music censoring all my music. Surely I should decide if explicit lyrics are my cup of tea or not !
Old 4th September 2016, 12:32   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
Do Spotify using BHPians use a VPN ? Is one needed ? Also how did you initially setup your accounts ?

On a separate note, I am really irritated with Apple Music censoring all my music. Surely I should decide if explicit lyrics are my cup of tea or not !
You would need VPN to create an account. Once that's out of the way, you can log in and play just like you'd do for other apps.
Old 9th September 2016, 18:52   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post

From what I found, Indian users have been requesting for quite some time but spotify doesn't seem to bother much. Nonetheless, I'd still try.
I'm extremely satisfied with Spotify and would rate it the best, the quality is unbeatable. Like Soundcloud it has a fair share of small time artists too. I've used Soundcloud, Wynk and Apple Music before. I felt the quality in Wynk was really bad.. Apple Music has really bad ui and it is laggy as well.
Old 10th September 2016, 08:39   #80
BHPian

Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

Quote:

If you get Spotify Premium then you don't have to bother with the VPN again. International use is enabled until the subscription remains valid. This has worked well for me for years.

I suppose in order to get the subscription itself you'll need VPN.

If you haven't subscribed for premium, even then the regular Spotify account would continue to work for 14/15 days internationally without VPN, at which point you'll need to log in using VPN again once.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 10th September 2016 at 08:49.
Old 10th September 2016, 08:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Its not Apple Music doing the censorship, they are just complying to our 'Sanskaari' laws. You can get the same explicit songs if your Apple account is linked to their US site.
Old 11th September 2016, 11:16   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Its not Apple Music doing the censorship, they are just complying to our 'Sanskaari' laws. You can get the same explicit songs if your Apple account is linked to their US site.
The prices are too high to pay for uncensored music. Individual membership is $99.9 and family is $14.99!
In India, its Rs.120 Individual and Rs.190 for family
Old 28th September 2016, 21:33   #83
BHPian

So Apple's insane device management policy has almost ruined my experience with apple music.
I frequently change roms on my Android phone and every new rom is treated as a new device by the music apps. And every one of them had the option to remove devices from the account settings in phone or through the website. Apple too has that, via iTunes, but to be able to do that you have to first log out from that specific device. And if you don't do that, then bid goodbye to that slot. All the 10 slot in my account are full and there is no way I rectify that. Thank you Apple.

Guess its gonna be gaana and wynk for me.
Old 29th September 2016, 12:04   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
All the 10 slot in my account are full and there is no way I rectify that. Thank you Apple.
UPDATE: So a long chat with Apple support seems to have solved the problem. Guess I jumped the gun there. But still, user should have full control in this respect so that the time spent with support could be spent elsewhere.

Mods, please merge the two posts.

Last edited by lordvader : 29th September 2016 at 12:06.
Old 29th September 2016, 12:08   #85
BHPian

Wynk & Spotify over a chromecast to my Home Audio is the way I go. I only listen to downloaded songs (Wynk) when not in Home.
Old 29th September 2016, 14:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI for this thread, Google Play has started to host Indian music.
http://www.androidauthority.com/goog...-india-718643/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Wynk & Spotify over a chromecast to my Home Audio is the way I go. I only listen to downloaded songs (Wynk) when not in Home.
Hi Pratyush, can you provide more details on the setup?

I have a chromecast and was exploring ways to hook it up to a sound bar or home audio (and also possibly connect the sound bar to the LCD over HDMI port).

Last edited by DCEite : 29th September 2016 at 14:19.
Old 29th September 2016, 15:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hi Pratyush, can you provide more details on the setup?

I have a chromecast and was exploring ways to hook it up to a sound bar or home audio (and also possibly connect the sound bar to the LCD over HDMI port).
Use the chromecast Audio In case you have a Chromecast - then you can still do the same. Just use the Cast Screen/Audio option on your phone, instead of the app based Cast.

I use a mini Toslink to Toslink adapter to stream, which essentially gives you greater quality. Then you just need to hook up your phone and chromecast to the same wifi and you are good to go.

Remember - if you use app based cast, then CC uses internet to download and stream, while if you use Screen/Audio cast, then it uses your phone itself, helps if you have already downloaded the song (or with Spotify this is mandatory)
Old 12th November 2016, 16:31   #88
BHPian

I have tried 7 days free trial of Saavn Pro and I am pretty much satisfied with content (Bollywood) and the UI. It also worked flawlessly while streaming in my car Android HU, planning to subscribe. Are downloaded files are locked? as in these songs cannot play outside Saavn app?
Old 13th November 2016, 13:55   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Are downloaded files are locked? as in these songs cannot play outside Saavn app?
May I suggest giving gaana a go before subscribing?

Downloaded files are locked in a way that these apps save them in a format specific to them. So generic music apps are not able to read them by default.
Old 13th November 2016, 14:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

I have been using TuneIn for a few years now. Apple is too cumbersome.

Most Viewed