Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 18:02   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

Spotify set up its office in Mumbai last year. If/when Spotify launches it'll probably have to offer killer prices to take on Amazon (right now the most cost effective), Apple Music, Google Play Music and their India based counterparts. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Spotify confirms it has employees and office in India

I listen to music at the highest bit rate possible and would love to be able to access uncompressed music streaming like Deezer or Tidal.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st March 2018 at 18:04.
Old 2nd March 2018, 03:34   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now, Prime Music makes its entry in India. Included in your Prime membership .
Noticed this on Amazon website today and straight away downloaded the music app on my Android phone. Really good stuff and quality right up there. I might end up giving up my Gaana+ subscription which is now starting to look dated as far as their music collection goes.
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:11   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I agree.
However, as I was doing it on phone the data consumption while listening to songs was on the higher side. Any clue about this?
No, I didn't check this aspect. I get closer to 2.5 GB allowance per day on my phone, so data isn't something I'm normally worried about.
Old 5th March 2018, 14:12   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I agree.
However, as I was doing it on phone the data consumption while listening to songs was on the higher side. Any clue about this?
There is an option to adjust data usage for streaming, maybe try that if you have not done it already.

Prime music, even though a late entrant, is a winner all the way. I really like that there are no niggles and the app is stable and requires no learning curve. Playlists are great and I really like that there is a clear distinction between station and playlist. Something which GPM never handled properly despite having great collection. Mood and activity playlists are also great, very well capture the type of music one would like to listen at that very moment.

Last edited by lordvader : 5th March 2018 at 14:14.
Old 5th March 2018, 15:26   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amazon Prime is really killing it in India. Not only is it cheap for the enhanced delivery options, but you also get a video-streaming collection that's far superior to Netflix India IMHO.

Now, Prime Music makes its entry in India. Included in your Prime membership .
Used services of Prime music over last 2 days of highway driving and I'm impressed by the collection of songs. Moreover, I use a Jio subscription so I got good connectivity throughout. Using it with Android Auto is a boon.
Old 5th March 2018, 16:15   #126
BHPian

Over the weekend used prime audio along with Alexa paired to my car stereo and it was a pretty fun experience. Everyone got to play the song of their choice and totally handsfree.
The Alexa picks up songs from. Saavn too if desired.
Old 6th March 2018, 01:46   #127
BHPian

Ditched Gaana+ this weekend and extensively used Prime Music. They have a great collection of music, you can select Playlists according to your mood and the catalog in each of those is pretty decent. There is also a Stations section where you can listen to different Genres.

The App did take me about half hour of getting used to but after that its a breeze to navigate through.
Old 6th March 2018, 10:28   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The Alexa picks up songs from
Alexa is pretty fun and accurate too. I tried it today morning on my way to work and not once did it falter in understanding the voice commands. This has really piqued my interest in amazon echo.

Fantastic stuff, Mr. Bezos is really making sure that they put their best foot forward in everything they do in India.

Last edited by lordvader : 6th March 2018 at 10:32.
Old 23rd March 2018, 21:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

Reliance Jio, Saavn to merge digital music services

https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...2ZbdEAiIN.html
Old 21st April 2018, 22:06   #130
BHPian

Off-Topic Post :

I have compiled a YouTube playlist of songs, English and Hindi, in 2 different playlists.

For English, they start from Boney M and go on till BlackEyedPeas, and cover the popular artists/tracks such as Livin La Da Vida Loca, to Wavin' Flag by Knaan. I like the tracks, irrespective of genre, which ranged from Rock to Rap to Pop! (Yes, this also includes Aqua's Barbie Girl, don't judge please. :P)

For Hindi, they contain both Hindi and some Punjabi tracks, starting from Kumar Sanu's Tera Mera Pyaar to Sonu Nigam's Kal Ho Naa Ho.

These were the in-trend tracks till I left school (2012), and I have really vivid memories of the same. It's basically something I put on whilst driving/with friends, to hum and dance too.

English Playlist

Hindi Playlist

Hope this works well for everyone!
Cheers!

To Mods : Please move this to another thread, if not appropriate here. I could not find a more relevant thread.

Last edited by sharktale : 21st April 2018 at 22:12.
Old 27th October 2018, 22:38   #131
BHPian

This is not a question about streaming audio, but offline audio. I have always legally bought music - over a decade and a half, I have had so many favourite music shops - Planet M, Music World, Landmark at the Forum, Bangalore, Sapna bookhouse, Crossword etc etc. However, increasingly, many of these have shut shops or are selling less and less music ( due to lack of buyers they claim ). It's incredibly hard to get original/legal music from shops. At times, Amazon/Flipkart have made those available, but of late, not even them.

Where do I buy legal music for South Indian movies or Bollywood movies ? Being on the internet always is not an option for me.
Old 28th October 2018, 10:27   #132
Senior - BHPian

Amazon Music is the way to go, atleast for me on the international circuit.
I was casually browsing for new Pink Floyd (one of my all time favs) additions on the app and heck - it displayed their newest album - "The Origins", released on 12th Sept 2018!!
And it beat Google Guru at this game, since a similar search on Google displayed only a 1994 album listing ("The Endless River").

Way to go, Amazon
Old 28th October 2018, 10:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I have compiled a YouTube playlist of songs, English and Hindi, in 2 different playlists.
You deserve a salute, my friend! Thanks for sharing
Old 2nd November 2018, 15:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Off-Topic Post :

This is amazing, especially the hindi playlist with the 90's pop songs. Nostalgic!

Thank you very much.
Old 3rd November 2018, 18:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Where do I buy legal music for South Indian movies or Bollywood movies ? Being on the internet always is not an option for me.
Have you tried iTunes ? They have a good collection. I regularly download from there. In fact, 90% of my digital collection is from iTunes.
You will have to download the app onto your PC to purchase though.

If you already have an iPhone or iPad, you can login with that account. You can easily convert to mp3 via the app itself if you prefer that format.

Link below:
https://www.apple.com/in/itunes/

I used to download from Flyte (erstwhile digital music arm of Flipkart) until they shut down.

Alternatively, you can try Amazon Prime. They have a download option with which you can play on the mobile/tab without internet connection. (Not available for PC yet).
The downer is, if you reset your device (like after an update), everything you downloaded is erased. And its DRM locked. You can only play via the app.

Their collection is quite exhaustive.
I was on the look out for an 80s pop collection of ' Jive Bunny and the Master Mixers '. Never found it anywhere. I was pleasantly surprised to see they have the entire collection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks