Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 12:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post

Most of the better VPN services are paid at around 10 to 15 USD per month; you can however start off with a free trial and see if it works for you.
Actually there are couple of them for free on Android with some 500MB as the data limit for the VPN connectivity.

However, there is a hack where you can activate VPN, connect to Spotify play a song, and then disconnect the VPN. Spotify still works

So you seldom use the data limit of 500MB for a month!
Old 2nd December 2015, 14:17   #47
BHPian

TuneIn on the mobile

inLight Radio and
Shout Cast 2 Music add-on in the Kodi media player on PC

Raaga for Indian music on both Mobile and PC

Last edited by psispace : 2nd December 2015 at 14:19.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Using a VPN service will fool Spotify's servers into believing that the user is in the US, thereby allowing one to listen to Spotify.
VPN is not needed for listening to Spotify, but only to install it. True for PC, and iOS (iPhone and iPad). I am not sure about other devices or OSes.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Hello,

Download Hola from playstore - run it and you have access to Spotify, Netflix, BB iplayer etc etc.

This is free as in free beer.
Please avoid installing Hola. Its a huge security hole.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hola-vp...archers-claim/

http://www.cnet.com/news/security-re...secure-botnet/

Nothing is free in this world!
Old 2nd December 2015, 18:27   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
VPN is not needed for listening to Spotify, but only to install it. True for PC, and iOS (iPhone and iPad). I am not sure about other devices or OSes.
I was referring to Android. Even after you install, once you open the app, it will ask for login or signup, if you are from India it will not let you login!
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
I was referring to Android. Even after you install, once you open the app, it will ask for login or signup, if you are from India it will not let you login!
You can get around this by using a DNS service. Google "Unlocator" or "Unblock us".
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nothing beats Spotify. Have also taken the 3 months free trial for Apple Music but it has a bit of learning curves. I absolutely love the pre built playlists on specify. They even have them based on "moods" and most of them are pretty dang good.
Old 4th December 2015, 06:15   #53
BHPian

Tunein radio on both mobile and desktop. Have used live365 and jango earlier. But prefer tunein due to lesser ads and cleaner interface.

However facing some problems on streaming Tunein on android after rooting and cm12.

For Hindi music, nothing comes close to Gaana. Amazing assortment, good quality and stable app.

Will try di.FM now. Thanks.
Old 4th December 2015, 09:22   #54
BHPian

I sometimes listen to Jamendo, a source for indie music of all genres. Quite a few good bands there, and all their music is legally free to download.
Old 4th December 2015, 17:32   #55
BHPian

Pandora is the best I have tried, It is a kind of "smart radio" where you tell a few songs that you like and based on your suggession they locate similar songs and play them for you. The quality is fantastic.
It is only for the US but it works for me on my office VPN. Even if you dont have office VPN you can install a free VPN plugin like Zenmate for firefox and happily stream the best music based on your taste.
Pros:
1) Fantastic audio quality
2) Fantastic collection
3) Very smart prediction of music I like
4) Great to discover new songs of your taste which you might not have known otherwise
5) It also experiments on your taste by playing slight tweaks to your recommendations and you can "dislike" the song to keep it tuned
6) FREE!

Cons:
1) Too many ads (but not very annoying) - there is an ad free paid option
2) Android app should be installed in India via "download" and not app store since it is disabled for our country
3) Occasionally it will try to be over smart.
Old 4th December 2015, 20:38   #56
BHPian

I use a Lumia phone, "Mix Radio" is an pre-loaded app which lets you play the music collection via Wi-Fi or mobile data. There's an option to have offline download of 4 collections max. You can't get separate mp3 files but the collection within the app will play without internet. This comes without any payment. One small issue though, you can't skip more than 6 songs per hour. It does not have live radio station that streams like in TuneIn but more of music libraries. It has all regional movie songs, albums, international pop, rock, alternative, jazz and also language wise collections available (spanish, german, french etc). I am quite happy with this app and recommending to try it out.

This app was originally developed by Nokia in 2007.
Old 7th December 2015, 12:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMehta View Post
I am a regular user of 8tracks. It has user made lists of songs. Multiple lists made for studying or driving or meditating or even dancing etc. Lists are also marked as platinum or golden or silver according to popularity.
Do check it out. It has made me bump into some unknown artists which need to recognized. Btw, it's FREE.
I can vouch for 8tracks too. They have an innovative way of grouping the songs as VMehta pointed out, and also very little-known/upcoming bands sandwiched between popular tracks in playlists, so it's great for finding out new music too!
Old 8th December 2015, 08:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam81 View Post
I use a Lumia phone, "Mix Radio" is an pre-loaded app which lets you play the music collection via Wi-Fi or mobile data. There's an option to have offline download of 4 collections max. You can't get separate mp3 files but the collection within the app will play without internet. This comes without any payment. One small issue though, you can't skip more than 6 songs per hour. It does not have live radio station that streams like in TuneIn but more of music libraries. It has all regional movie songs, albums, international pop, rock, alternative, jazz and also language wise collections available (spanish, german, french etc). I am quite happy with this app and recommending to try it out.

This app was originally developed by Nokia in 2007.
Does MixRadio still let you download unlimited MP3s? My entire phone music collection is courtesy MixRadio when I was briefly using a Lumia 720. DRM free and excellent quality.
Old 8th December 2015, 09:11   #59
BHPian

My favourite service is accuradio.com . I have been using it since nearly a decade now. It has huge number of categories and sub- categories. I am a fan of country music, mainly country roots. Accuradio is free. It even adapts itself to the internet speed giving prime quality on broadband and working well on 2g, thus being particularly useful during inter-city drives when highways have only 2g internet.
Apart from this I have been an avid BBC Worldservice radio listener since 20 years. I started with shortwave radio and now use UK Radios app on android.
Old 8th December 2015, 18:42   #60
BHPian

I can vouch for Nokia's MixRadio app - Not sure why they discontinued the subscription system! My entire phone (music) library was downloaded through this app. And the best part - these are not locked, ie - You can export them and easily play them in any other device.

I am yet to find such an app on android - I have tried almost everything from Pandora & TuneInRadio to Gaana & even Airtel's 'Wynk Music'

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks