Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 15:35   #1
BHPian

Water cuts in Navi Mumbai

Navi Mumbaikars - I live in Koparkhairane and we are facing huge watercuts in last few days. If i were to believe the hear say then this may continue right through till rains and worsen in summers. Does anyone know if this is true ? Given the rain deficit i am thinking this may be true.

Our society is taking following measures to save water

1) Car wash only once a week. No water wash allowed more than once
2) Use of water in garden is restricted
3) Discussion is On on Swimming pool is being shut down
4) Plumber to inspect every house for leaking taps and fix it immediately

any similar measures being taken anywhere else ? are there any more recommendations that we can implement which can help us save water ?
Old 15th December 2015, 16:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Water cuts in Navi Mumbai

Water aerators to be fixed on all taps.the flow from aerators will resemble the flow from a tap in an airplane loo.

We have it installed in Bangalore and it is worth it !!
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 16:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
any similar measures being taken anywhere else ? are there any more recommendations that we can implement which can help us save water ?
Water shortage has hit Thane as well with taps running dry on Wednesday. Normalcy returns only by Friday evening. Our society is planning on installing RO unit to convert the borewell water into potable. But the huge costs of almost 1.2L for a 7 storied 2 winged 56 apartments society is putting some of the members off. I dread to think whats in store for summers.
Old 15th December 2015, 17:23   #4
BHPian

Same issue at Kharghar. I am sure it will be a difficult summer this time. I am investing in a plastic tub to store water for such eventualities. Besides, our society is taking some of the below measures ...

1. No car wash when there are water cuts. Car wash only alternate days for now.
2. Watering the garden plants on alternate days.
3. Plumber has already checked most flats for tap leaks. This will be done once a month or so going forward.
4. This is not decided yet, but swimming pool might be closed during the summer months. Maybe they will use that water for garden plants at some point.

I like the aerator concept ... should suggest that to our society. How much will it cost?
Old 15th December 2015, 17:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Aerators cost between 200 and 300 rupees each.A water faucet is an example of aerator.

http://www.amazon.in/Kitchen-Water-S.../dp/B00HFQC6B8
Old 15th December 2015, 18:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

As a long term measure, get rainwater harvesting done, especially for a place like Mumbai. The harvested water can then be used for recharging the borewell and/or be used for garden and swimming pool as well. However, this will not help in the immediate future, but probably after couple of years.
Old 15th December 2015, 20:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
As a long term measure, get rainwater harvesting done, especially for a place like Mumbai. The harvested water can then be used for recharging the borewell and/or be used for garden and swimming pool as well. However, this will not help in the immediate future, but probably after couple of years.
+1 to that dass! We should all invest in rainwater harvesting and also solar power systems.

Staying on the topic till very recently Navi Mumbai was facing no water cuts even when Mumbai did all thanks to the Morbe Dam. I wonder what has changed since. I am not sure if my area has had water cuts but it sure is a cause of concern.

Something that can be done at the government level is to look at better sewage treatment where the water can be used for other purposes, desalination plants to use sea water, increase awareness among people. Somehow this doesn't seem to be a big enough issue for the authorities.

I ensure most of my family uses buckets for bathing as showers can consume some crazy amount of water. Will get the car wash guy to restrict to one bucket every few days!

Water conversation is a topic very close to my heart as I see people disregarding the merits of using this precious resource judiciously! People still use pipes for watering their gardens, washing their cars and what not!

Last edited by miharbe : 15th December 2015 at 20:45.

Most Viewed