Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2006, 09:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jap is a derogatory word!

I have noticed several folks using the word Jap to refer to Japanese. I am not sure if people know that it is considered a derogatory word for Japanese people akin to the N word for black people.

I am very sure that people who use this word in this forum do not mean to insult anyone. I wasn't aware of it either until I was corrected by a friend in US (who was of Japanese origin).

May be this whole thing (of Jap being derogatory) is very american and probably doesn't meant anything in rest of world. Still I thought I should share so that we are all aware of it.

Thoughts ?
Old 17th September 2006, 12:30   #2
BANNED

Good post there Hondadude... and if you feel that Jap and the "N" word as you put it is derrogatory there's a simple thing that a person that feels that way can do.. DONT USE IT.
As for me, I think that all this global PCgiri is kind of getting out of hand... I mean its ok for an 'African American' to call a white guy a 'whitie' or 'white boy' its ok for them to call each other 'My Nigger' but GOD help anyone else that does so... then the racist card gets pulled out almost as fast as it was this world cup...
Thankfully this is not the United(?) States and we are free to say and voice whatever we like.. within reason naturally.. but come on.. people have realised that whats good or bad in America is not what the rest of the world thinks and feels.. and I get down on my knees and thank the Lord that people have finally seen the light.. WHOOPIE!
Cheers.
Old 17th September 2006, 12:31   #3
elf
BANNED

OK.

We shall now use "Slits" instead of Jap.

"Derogatoriness lies in the mind of the Derogatorer..."
Old 18th September 2006, 09:23   #4
BANNED

72 views and only 2 comments... come on people.. please tell me you guys are not thinking twice about speaking your minds here....
Old 18th September 2006, 09:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

It is wellknown Jap is a derogatory word to describe Japanese, just like the word gaijin used by Japanese to refer to foreigners. However, there is no point in having this discussion here. Thread Closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks