Team-BHP - Netflix: Now in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Netflix: Now in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/172049-netflix-now-india.html)

Hey fellas!

Starting this thread about Netflix in India. In case a thread already exists, please merge it.

News can be found at this URL: Netflix: Now launched in India

I signed up for a months free trial, after selecting the Standard pack that costs Rs 650/- per month. Can watch on 2 screens, streaming in HD.

Right now, the content available seems reasonably decent. Best thing is that all content is available for viewing right away. No downloading needed :D. Yet to try it out on our tablets/phones, but streaming quality on desktop is fairly decent. On the settings page it says 3GB of data will be consumed per hour if streaming in HD quality. Just started watching I Am Legend, and the quality could be better. Here's a screenshot.

Netflix: Now in India-netflix.png

Do reply on this thread if you too have signed up for Netflix. For registration, visit: https://www.netflix.com/in/ & https://www.netflix.com/getstarted?locale=en-IN

PS: I'm not related to Netflix in any way, nor am I trying to promote Netflix in India. Just a consumer trying to share my experience with something new that is launched here.

I was a Netflix customer in the 1999-2003, when their service was exclusively DVD. Never imagined they will become so big and become the biggest consumer of Internet traffic.

BTW, aren't there other netflix type streaming providers in India already? I never really bothered look up. But my android TV does show couple apps for paid movie watching. But they may not have as much content as Netflix.

There are several streaming services out there already like Zona and until recently even PopcornTime that are aimed at being essentially free versions of Netflix with slightly more vast viewing options. That Netflix is now available here is news to me that is great! Could you provide more details on the subscription to Netflix? Is there a data cap or can you stream as many shows/movies as you like?

That data cap will be from your ISP. Netflix will be pumping any amount movies as long as you pay.

BTW, PopcornTime is not legal I think.

I know ISPs have a data cap based on FUP but what I meant was, if you have a monthly subscription, can you stream as much content in that month as you like? Yup PopcornTime isn't legal which is why it was shut down

I barely manage to scrape through the month with this 75GB FUP.

Decent 2:20hr movies come within ~720mb in torrents. Similarly TV serials.

Each time I start YouTube I change the resolution to 480p.

This is the state of internet FUP among the best net providers & they expect us to spend 3GB data within 1hr of usage?

Won't work in India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 3885436)
I know ISPs have a data cap based on FUP but what I meant was, if you have a monthly subscription, can you stream as much content in that month as you like? Yup PopcornTime isn't legal which is why it was shut down

Yes, you should be able to. The content is for your viewing; 24X7.

Although not all of their US content would be made available in India (and other countries). I guess there are some legalities for some of the content that they will have to work out.

One thing is sure - we are going to see a lot more Hindi/regional content in Netflix. Already they have CID, Crime Patrol, Maharana Pratap and what not. Expect more of this in the future!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IshaanIan (Post 3885427)
There are several streaming services out there already like Zona and until recently even PopcornTime that are aimed at being essentially free versions of Netflix with slightly more vast viewing options.

Popcorn-Time was primarily an app that allowed you to stream torrent files while they are being downloaded (into temporary folder). The developers of Popcorn-Time were sued (or threatened to) and they closed the application. For those who have the app, it still works; i.e. download a torrent file and use the app to stream the video (if you have sufficient seeders).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammarNazi (Post 3885462)
I barely manage to scrape through the month with this 75GB FUP.

Decent 2:20hr movies come within ~720mb in torrents. Similarly TV serials.

Each time I start YouTube I change the resolution to 480p.

This is the state of internet FUP among the best net providers & they expect us to spend 3GB data within 1hr of usage?

Won't work in India.

+1.

Unless the stupid FUP is done away with or some disruptive ISPs come along, it won't take off in a big way. The content on STBs is a joke anyway these days and most of the times I end up streaming something or the other via YouTube. Really want to throw away the STB and get this going, but can't due to the limited FUP. :Frustrati

Any links for checking out the content they have?

ok.. I've signed up for this. Let me get home and play on my WD TV which has a built in app for Netflix.

BTW - I was charged 650 bucks! Isn't the first month supposed to be free?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pratyush6 (Post 3885485)
BTW - I was charged 650 bucks! Isn't the first month supposed to be free?

Looks like they collect the credit card details now, but won't charge for the first month.
Here is what I got when I tried to sign up:

Quote:

Don't worry, we will email you three days before your free trial ends as a reminder.
You will not be charged until after your free trial ends on 2/7/16

Netflix movie quality sucks!

Sorry, but that is the harsh truth and I say this after using Netflix for 1.5 years. They have a sprinkle of A+ movies, some A- movies, but mostly B & C grade flicks. You will barely find any blockbusters on Netflix.

From the movie studio's point of view, movies are usually released in this order: Theatres -> DVD -> Online purchase (e.g. iTunes) & pay per view -> Satellite TV -> Netflix and the like. Basically, when there is no other revenue stream left, a movie will make it to Netflix. It's the last option for any movie studio.

If you are particular about what you watch, you'll get bored of Netflix. At times, it used to take me 20 - 30 minutes to find a 90 minute movie worth watching on Netflix.

What I recommend: The best movies are on TV! Just buy a recording box from Tata Sky / your provider and set a recording schedule.

They made this happen just in time for House of Cards!

May be worth signing up for depending how the content fares up.

I'm more curious about how ISPs will react to this; data consumption will shoot up. And on a legal website.

Also, I hope Netflix realizes that speed is a huge constraint for almost all internet users in India. So, market penetration will be a challenge; unless they have low quality option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 3885533)
Also, I hope Netflix realizes that speed is a huge constraint for almost all internet users in India. So, market penetration will be a challenge; unless they have low quality option.

They do - the service adjusts automatically to your internet speed. I've even watched a movie on Netflix while using my smartphone as a hotspot (as the main internet line was down). It worked alright even on a 2 mbps 3G connection, although nothing quite compares to the experience on my 50 mbps main line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 3885533)
They made this happen just in time for House of Cards!

May be worth signing up for depending how the content fares up.

I'm more curious about how ISPs will react to this; data consumption will shoot up. And on a legal website.

And House of Cards won't be on Indian Netflix as they have sold rights to Zee TV!

I am also not sure about censorship. Some of the series (HOC included) contain a lot of profanity and mature material (which is sometimes) essential to the plot.

https://www.netflix.com/in

Yes, and most of the shows you would like to watch are here.
UNCENSORED!!
At 650rs/month, the pricing for HD is not too bad either.

This is part of netflix global push where they started services in 130 new countries.
What remains to be seen is how will the scissor happy govt will react. Its not TV, its a website. How will they censor it? Esp after the court ruled what people watch on the internet in their homes is none of govt business.

OTOH, I guess with really silly FUP data limits (20GB etc.,), it will be a long time before they can get widespread acceptance. Or maybe, they timed it with Reliance JIO broadband, which is rumored to have unheard of speeds and decent data allowance!