Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 09:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area?

I don't know how it is for others but I had a chilly winter this year. Mid-december I had a couple of nights when I was working at my desk, wearing a couple of warmers and a sweater, three socks, three pajamas and the room heater turned up to maximum.

Maybe I'm growing old. Four years back, I went to hemkund sahib (4200m) and valley of flowers wearing just two layers of t-shirts and arm-warmers. My whole extended family had much mirth on seeing me in this condition!
Old 8th January 2016, 10:11   #17
BHPian

Bangalore - nights are chilly as usual this time of the year, with the morning fog every other day. Temperatures at night are the lowest at around 13/14 degrees in my area(Bangalore outskirts). Have to say it is cooler than last year - my feet sometimes get numb.

Can't be said that its the same during the day. It is warm!, and even if the temp reading says 27 at max, it feels much warmer.
Old 8th January 2016, 10:15   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Just as I went out and said it, that winter is not here, the fog arrived today morning with a vengeance. In east delhi, visibility came down to about 30 metres, but dissipated as I moved towards noida on the NH.
People who used the DND could maybe tell what it was over the river?
Old 8th January 2016, 10:21   #19
BHPian

Winter has been a let down here in Hyderabad this time around. It's nowhere close to the chilly winters as I've experienced in the last 3-4 years. This time it's strictly average. The days have already started becoming hot and I'm dreading the summers already. Hope this is just a one-year thing.
Old 8th January 2016, 10:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Just as I went out and said it, that winter is not here, the fog arrived today morning with a vengeance.
Yes, today (first in the season) it was covered by thick dense fog, even in road level. To beat odd even my commute was between 7.30 am and 8.00 am. Couple of areas were literally blind to drive. The only saving grace was very few cars at that point of time.

At India Gate traffic signal (8.00 am)

Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area?-fog.png

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 8th January 2016, 11:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been center of winter related jokes in my family due to multiple layers of clothing I used to wear in winters. But this time around, for the first time I'm very much comfortable with half the number of layers . The normal temperature during this time in my city used to be 15℃ max and about 2℃ min. But the least we've experienced this year was 5℃ and that too in December. We've been getting good sunshine daily with max temperature touching 25-26℃ and min around 6-7℃. Fog has been there for just a couple of days. Earlier we used to have winter spells for atleast 2 months with no sunlight for atleast 20+ days.

But somehow I feel that its too early to write off the winters. I think the seasons have shifted a bit. We had late winters last year also with it continuing till February end. Summers went on till early October, yes we did miss out the rains completely. Rainfall was scant at my place.
Old 8th January 2016, 11:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

We had just a week of chill sometime in December and after that is is back to the usual moderate climate of Pune.

Usually Decembers and Januaries in Pune do require some kind of warm clothing at nights - not so this time.
Old 9th January 2016, 13:06   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, this December in Bombay was HOT! For the first 10 days of the month, it was more like summer. Get this, we got another air-con installed in the office during end-November.

The weather is pleasant now, but in no ways cool or cold. Even at night, we use the air-conditioner.

On the other hand, Deolali (180 kms away) was cool to cold. Was there last week. Reminded me of how winters used to be in Bombay.
Old 9th January 2016, 13:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

2015 has now been declared as the warmest year on record since record keeping began aorund 130 years ago. Its warmer than 2014
Old 9th January 2016, 14:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Bangalore - nights are chilly as usual this time of the year, with the morning fog every other day. Temperatures at night are the lowest at around 13/14 degrees in my area(Bangalore outskirts). Have to say it is cooler than last year - my feet sometimes get numb.

Can't be said that its the same during the day. It is warm!, and even if the temp reading says 27 at max, it feels much warmer.
I feel the chill at nights is not as much as we had last year around this time. It was very difficult to step out during the night with regular clothes last year, but this year it is pretty much normal (OK it is a bit cold, but not unbearable) - Weather now is probably like how it was in Nov'14. Clearly, there is a shift in the weather conditions by around 1-2 months. Another example is the availability of "avarekai" is delayed by 2 months clearly. These beans which used to become available from Nov usually, is becoming available only now.
Old 9th January 2016, 15:46   #26
BHPian

City : Chandigarh
I usually track temperature of my living room. It climbs as high as 33 degrees Celsius in summers and as low as 17 degrees C in winters.
December - January have temperature ranging between 18.0 to 20.0 degrees C
However, This year is warmer with readings between 19.0-21.5 C
The least I could record was 18.7 C

We did not have full day overcast or rain to plunge the Mercury down. Although, I anticipate some precipitation by next month.
Old 11th January 2016, 17:52   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Get this, we got another air-con installed in the office during end-November.

Even at night, we use the air-conditioner.
I'm not the only one. As if to validate this - Source & full article:

Quote:
In winter, Mumbai uses more power for ACs than any other Indian metro.

The Indian winter appears to be the warmest in Mumbai going by the pattern of electricity consumption through air conditioners and refrigerators. A study by The Energy Resources Institute (TERI) conducted in 2015 on behalf of the Bureau of Energy Efficiency finds that Mumbai's consumption of power on such cooling appliances (as a percentage of the power usage by a household) is the highest among the households surveyed in Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata and Bengaluru in both autumn and winter seasons.
Old 24th January 2016, 22:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area?

Gentlemen, probably the tables have turned! Clicked this pic today at about 7 in the morning in the outskirts of Ranchi:
Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area?-image.jpg
Old 24th January 2016, 22:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, this winter had lost the bite in Bangalore too. Last year January was damn cold with coldness present beyond noon. Now the nights are just OK cold and it is warm by 10 am. Totally insipid winter
Old 24th January 2016, 23:29   #30
BHPian

Re: Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area?

Bangalore :

IMO It was cold from ~End October/November till Early December.

Then on its been weird. I feel although the wind is cool, but from 10am to 3pm, the sunshine is really scathing.

Its pleasant when under any kind of shade, but just outside the shade, the sunshine is unforgivingly harsh.

Don't know much, but is it possible that the Ozone Layer above Bangalore must've depleted ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks