Team-BHP - Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Climate Change : Globally Warm(n)ed? How are the winters in your area? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/172078-climate-change-globally-warm-n-ed-how-winters-your-area.html)

Here in Punjab, we are witnessing probably the most insipid winter season in recent memory. Yesterday, while on a round trip from Jalandhar to Delhi and back, I was perfectly comfortable all along wearing just a full sleeves shirt. Around 12.30 am we stopped around Rajpura for tea - some 150 kms away from home - and it was almost like how it is during the onset of spring season. There was just no bite in the air.

I remember last year, we made the same journey around the same time and everyone had layers of clothing on and yet when we stepped out at night for a tea break, the chill couldn't stop our teeth from chattering. Can't believe one year has made so much difference.

I have read that an extended El-Nino is to be blamed for this unusually warm winter. Whatever, I missed the winters this time. Punjab just has a different feel to it in winters. Its my best place to be in during this time of the year. Basking in the sun as the cold air continues to pierce through your bones with gudd-cha in hand and sweet melodious tunes from Punjabi songs from the bygone era for company - ahhh not many things can match that experience.

I would be interested to know how winters held up in your part of the country. Were temperatures higher than expected?

The winters are not what they used to be. The chill is no longer present. I remember how when we were kids and during winter, we would get hold of a pencil and pretend we were smoking cigarettes by just blowing our warm breath into the air. This time it was nothing like that at all. At many instances, I had to use AC in my car while commuting. I certainly do miss the winters, it's not as exciting as it used to be.

1st of January this year was nothing. Typically, owing to all the celebrations, we remember how it was. The I remember most to be tremendously foggy, and cold.
But no winter this time. We're still waiting for winter in Delhi, in fact.

In Mumbai it is, as always, hot.
I remember that exactly a year back, only from driving an hour towards north from Mumbai, one would find themselves in late single digit temperatures. Many find it hard to believe but it really is true.
An hours worth of drive from Mumbai and temperatures so low that jackets is a must and your car doesn't even heat up ;)
Folks here have given up on winters coming this year to Mumbai, but I am still hoping for something. Hopefully.

Luv.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 3885895)
Here in Punjab, we are witnessing probably the most insipid winter season in recent memory.

It is indeed unusually warm across most of Central West and North India this year. Very Strong El Niņo is one of the primary reasons, with current ONI (Oceanic Niņo Index) at 2.3, one of the highest values in history (at par with El Niņo year of 1997). El Niņo conditions are likely to taper down only April-May-June, therefore, pretty good chances of above Average temperatures to continue throughout season (although I personally believe one or two incidents of cold front can be there because of some western disturbances).

:Frustrati Not a rosy picture for us farmers who suffered from poor monsoon during Kharif season and now their Rabi crops prospects are also being affected by this weather. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrsteer (Post 3885895)
Here in Punjab, we are witnessing probably the most insipid winter season in recent memory. Yesterday, while on a round trip from Jalandhar to Delhi and back, I was perfectly comfortable all along wearing just a full sleeves shirt. Around 12.30 am we stopped around Rajpura for tea - some 150 kms away from home - and it was almost like how it is during the onset of spring season. There was just no bite in the air.

I remember last year, we made the same journey around the same time and everyone had layers of clothing on and yet when we stepped out at night for a tea break, the chill couldn't stop our teeth from chattering. Can't believe one year has made so much difference.

I have read that an extended El-Nino is to be blamed for this unusually warm winter. Whatever, I missed the winters this time. Punjab just has a different feel to it in winters. Its my best place to be in during this time of the year. Basking in the sun as the cold air continues to pierce through your bones with gudd-cha in hand and sweet melodious tunes from Punjabi songs from the bygone era for company - ahhh not many things can match that experience.

I would be interested to know how winters held up in your part of the country. Were temperatures higher than expected?

Absolutely. Last winter in New York was really chill. This winter has been ridiculous. It was 20 deg Celsius this christmas! We are all worried if we would be able to use the skiing tickets booked this year! please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayKis (Post 3886012)
Absolutely. Last winter in New York was really chill. This winter has been ridiculous. It was 20 deg Celsius this christmas! We are all worried if we would be able to use the skiing tickets booked this year! please:

Thats thanks to the strong El Nino effect. I wonder if that can also be attributed to climate change.

I have seen 26 winters and this is without a doubt the warmest of them all. This time of the year, I normally sleep under 2 warm quilts. Just one feels a bit too warm this season.

On a related note, it has been a blessing for mosquitoes. It is January and that are still buzzing around.:Frustrati :deadhorse

Same here in Delhi/NCR region. I just hope winter does come back and stays, I feel scared from now only imagining 50+ degree Celsius this summer.

Here in Hyderabad, at nights the mercury drops to 15 degrees on an average.

Though late but the winter has set in well and just waiting for it to go!

In Vadodara, the winter arrived for 5-6 days and then gone.
Till beginning of Dec'15 we had to use A/C at night. Right now, fans are back again. Hardly 10 days without fans.

Winters are just absent. I remember good old winter season. Now, its just too hot. In Jan 2000 Makarsankranti ( Uttarayan ), am having vivid memories of wearing jackets even in afternoon on terrace. Earlier, had to use one thick blanket at night. In this season, that thick blanket is not even out of almari . Not sure of any phenomenon, but this is a cruel season change, or lack of a new season. Rains were really scarce this year, and lack of winters means nature is not at peace. Shudder to think of what summers are going to be like this time.

Report from Ranchi- it started pretty well. Was quite chilly a month ago, but then slowly the chill disappeared. Looks like the warmest winter I have ever seen in our region. Came back from a drive an hour back and the instruments displayed outside temperature of 13 degrees which should have been ideally in single digits. By now every year, the outskirts of the city usually hit zero degrees several times which is still to happen this year!

What is winter? In Jammu, I am sitting in my room with Windows and doors open at 11:45 in the night with a sleeveless shirt :Shockked:, can't even think of it in any other year. No rain no snow fall, 31 December was as barren as it can get. But there is a major worry, if there's no rainfall no snow what's going to happen to glaciers and rivers, that's my major worry because north India and its agriculture is wholly and solely dependent on rivers. Cause for a major worry which will indirectly effect everybody.

This time around, the winter was pretty mild at the start of the season. It was around -3 (degrees C) even during New Year. However, past that the temperatures have tumbled and today we hit -24 (degrees C), with wind chill taking perceived temperatures down to -32. That's the lowest I remember in my 3 winters here in Finland so far.

Winter in midwest USA is surprising warm. It has been almost no snow compared to a few feet of snow in the last two years. So much so, that days feel warm enough to take a stroll in single layer jacket. Weather prediction does show snow beginning this weekend though.

Himanshu