Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2006, 10:16   #1
BHPian

Drivers view of Road - How to guage

Hi,

I have been having this question on my mind for a long time.

I have been driving my Peugeot 309 GLD / another Fiat Uno, both diesels for about 2 years. The road view for the driver is superb in the sense, you can almost see where the bonnet ends and guage almost exactly where your tyre is going with respect to avoiding potholes. And it is a boon in the bumper to bumper traffic in the cities.

I had the opportunity of Driving an Indigo LS TDI. The moment i entered inside what struck me was the visibility for the driver. You are not able to see anything in front of the car for atleast 4 feet in front of the car. This raises a few questions in my mind.

1 . Within the city - How do i guage where my front bumper is, before i bump into the guy in front of me. Is it only by experience ?

Reversing / turning and moving out of crowded streets is a nightmare. You just have to keep expecting the "screech" for a line on the side or bumper of your car. If nothing happens, then you are saved. One is never confident in these scenarios.

2. On the highway, at the edges of the tarmac, how do i know whether i will be on the road or off it. I mean at the edges (ofcourse not on the golden quadrilateral type of roads. I mean the 2 lane ones with a supporting kutcha strip alongside the road). Imagine a common scenario, when the bus / lorry coming opposite is overtaking and has entered your lane for the same and there is only enough gap for you car to scrape through. One can always slow down / steer away from the road to the kutcha road on the sides.

Are there any standard procedures / rules to follow

Regards

Pugram

Mods: Sorry if i am asking a very old question. Please guide me to the proper thread, if there is one.
Old 19th September 2006, 10:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

More details here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-style-2.html
Old 19th September 2006, 11:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

i think that would be called instinct. you do a mental math of these things. once you start driving in one of these cars, it will come naturally. there are no tutorials for this.
Old 19th September 2006, 16:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod : thread closed, similar topic exists
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks