Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 20:26   #31
BHPian

Re: India's Power Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I would like to believe all the plants of Private Power producers are PPP based, otherwise it would not make sense to build the plant at all.
Fordday.
I believe you meant PPA based. However, all the PPPs are not PPA based.
Old 4th February 2016, 19:45   #32
BHPian

We are 'power surplus' for now.

http://wap.business-standard.com/art...0400597_1.html
Old 4th February 2016, 20:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Financially weak discoms have preferred load shedding rather than supplying power to the consumers, as they are incurring losses on every unit of power supplied as reflected in the revenue gap of Rs 1.14 per unit in FY14 compared with Rs 1.27 per unit in FY13.

The reduction in revenue gap is a result of lower power costs as well as innovative accounting, especially finance costs. Distribution costs, primarily AT&C losses as well as manpower costs have not come down in reality.
Old 5th February 2016, 03:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

I was unable to find the link to see power generated by Solar and wind projects in india on a daily basis?

On a side note: As long as there is govt control over discoms, we will see these discoms in red. All it takes is a change in govt and a host of populist schemes being thrown at the public. In my state of Karnataka, agricultural pumpsets have no charges associated with them. You can use it all you like! I would rather have a government which charges me some $ but provides uninterrupted supply of power.

Also do folks in Delhi get crazy high electricity bills as mentioned a lot during the previous election?

Too see the state of politics involvement in discoms, do watch the documentary on netflix called "Katiyabaaz". Its about theft in Kanpur and how its affected peoples lives.

http://www.powerless-film.com/

Maddy
Old 5th February 2016, 10:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
In my state of Karnataka, agricultural pumpsets have no charges associated with them. You can use it all you like! I would rather have a government which charges me some $ but provides uninterrupted supply of power.
India's agriculture sector is the largest employer. Secondly, the philosophy guiding utility tariffs, (nearly) the world over, is "Capacity to pay". Cross subsidies are a reality and a necessity that cannot be ignored. However, what can be done is linking up the subsidy through direct payment to the beneficiary, rather than providing free or drastically subsidised power, which tends to be misused- both by the utility and the beneficiary.

I do not have the latest tariff of the Delhi discoms, but it is likely that the bills are higher than others- in spite of the discoms having huge regulatory assets in their books. Here is a tariff comparison (updated May 2015):
Name:  Screen Shot 20160205 at 10.00.48 AM.png
Views: 197
Size:  69.5 KB

I saw Katiyabaaz at a special screening by the World Bank and met some of the cast and the Director.
Old 7th February 2016, 12:23   #36
BHPian

Thanks, earthian. Unfortunately, your profile does not show any contact details.
Old 7th February 2016, 12:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I do not think members are encouraged to post contact details in the forum. Get in touch via my profile details.
I have sent you an invite via Linkedin Sir.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Looks like major consolidation is occurring in this sector. Jindal is selling their stake in the power business to reduce the overall debt in the parent organizations balance sheets and Adani is in talks with them. This would increase Adanis stake from 10gw to 13 gw. Seems like this may have been going on for a while as both did not contest against each other when the coal blocks were being auctioned.

Solar in the US is totally dependent on who the next president is. The utilities are totally blocking net metering in various states like Florida and in Arizona currently the utilities have managed to reduce jobs by 25% due to a fee added to solar producers. Nevada has totally killed the solar industry. All these three states are blessed with abundant sunshine.

Maddy

Most Viewed