Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2006, 12:16   #16
Team-BHP Support

Khanak, the Churchill management have opened a larger place at Fountain called Mocambo's. Same food (with alcohol here) and prices but a far larger place.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Name/Location: Cafe Basilico, Colaba/Bandra

Average Cost:
Around 350 a dish, 100 a drink nd 150 for desert

Food:
. Their deserts are good too. They used to have the most amazing Baileys Cream Cake though theyv stopped it. I reccomend the Oreo Cheese Cake which has a layer of Crushed Oreos in the middle of other layers of chocolate. Their Blueberry Cheesecake is good too . The deserts here are so good that some people come nd only order deserts. In drinks id reccomend the Peachy Cheek which is just sprite nd peach flavour though its really good.
Their fresh mango cheese cake is to die for!
Old 29th September 2006, 12:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Soul Fry: Bandra At Pali Naka

Anyone who likes Bandra and the people of bandra, will immediately understand it when I say this is the best mac joint you could ever visit in your life.
A place that specializes in Goan and Coastal Fish Food, it has become more famous for it's monday night Karaoke.

Ambience: It's not very large and quite cozy. Nice Bar, very friendly staff. Common to see the couple that run the placewalking around saying hi to all. Lotsa regulars, warm place, quite common to smile or say hello to people at the next table. Lots and lots of Joie de vivre everywhere.

Karaoke: Real Karaoke. Not pretentious (if you excuse my expression, i mean no offence) South-Bombay Karaoke. You will see a lot of bandra people who KNOW their music. From young boys, doing the Axl rose falsetto (that would be me, I've been told I do an Axl Falsetto very well) right down to older people singing "You've got a friend" and some Engelbert too.
Karaoke list is impressive, you will surprisingly hear a lot of rock, like Stones and Purple etc.

Food: As the name suggests, they have great fish fry. They also do mini meals/thalis, where you can order a slice of fish, rice, curry and so on. Apart from that their menu is fairly interesting and they will help you find something you like.

Cost: The food is not too expensive. Most dishes are between 150-200. However, we always get carried away with the bar bill because of the atmosphere and vivaciousness and end up spending too much. Great place to go with a few friends, get drunk, eat well and maybe sing.
Old 29th September 2006, 12:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Barbeque Nation

Name/Location: Barbeque Nation , Bandra

Average Cost:
400 bucks a meal

Food:
Barbeque Nation has a concept of a fixed menu. You cant order anything extra. They place a grille in the middle of your table and keep bringing you skewers with items from their fixed menu of the day. You cook the food yourself nd keep brushing it with the dressing of your choice. This is a great concept nd is pretty fun to do. I guess this concept also helps them to keep their costs down as customers cant order anything else. Its fun to do the cooking yourself the first few times though after tht when the novelty wears off you just wanna eat the damn kababs. The food is good though some kababs were better than the other. The starters are unlimited so it gives u a good chance to vasool ur 400 bucks. They change the menu everyday nd keep introducing new items onto the menu. The last time I went there I had some very good oriental prawns nd really filled myself up on them. The chicken however on that days wasnt tht good. I guess its all depends on your luck. A main course buffet is also included in the price which makes this place very good VFM. I however would suggest that you eat more of the starters than the main course. The maincourse is good too nd consists of the usual soup, two non veg, two veg, rice nd naans. Their desert is good too nd I guess it would be best if they concentrated more on their starters nd deserts as thats what would really be good. A drink is also included in the price. One thing that this place is really missing is hookahs. Nothign beats Kababs nd Hookah. its just a perfect cmobination. THey have an outdoor section where I think it would be perfect for them to introduce hookahs.

Service:
The service here is excellent. You are served almost immidiently after you are ordered. I guess since theyre serving everyone the same thing there arent too many places where the service can go bad. However the waiters are very polite and explain what dressing to use on what meat very well.

Ambience:
BBQ nation being a new place has a good ambience. Inspite of every table ahving a grill you never really feel hot or uncomfortable due to their excellent exhaust system. There is some outdoor seating as well though I guess sitting inside is much more comfortable

Conclusion:
Even though this place costs a minimum of 400 bucks a person I tihnk this is the most vasool place you can go to. If you consider what your getting for 400, its just amazing. However having said that, even though the food is good its nothing amazing and there are places where you do get better food
Old 29th September 2006, 12:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Khanak, the Churchill management have opened a larger place at Fountain called Mocambo's. Same food (with alcohol here) and prices but a far larger place.
yea iv been to mocambos. i really liked that place. didnt know its owned by churchill managment though............. Mocambos however doesnt have the charm that churchill has though

Last edited by khanak : 29th September 2006 at 12:30.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Here's a list of my most favourites. Me being veg can only comment on the same.

Will add more later. AM not a 5 star hotel kind of guy ......
Viper
viperbhai,

Please also mention the addresses of the eating places listed by you. Thanks.
Old 29th September 2006, 18:37   #22
BANNED

Hi,

Wont know the exact postal address but will give some basic locations as I'm bad with road names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper

1> Shatranj Napoli - Italian - Near Union Park and next to Olive's Bandra
2> China Gate - Chinese - lane opp Amarsons on Linking Road & Atria Mall Worli.
3> China White - Chinese - Waterfield Road
4> Sheetal Bukhara - Punjabi - Opp Khar Telephone Exchange
5> Khyber - Punjabi - Kala Ghoda
6> Sun - Punjabi - Nepean Sea Road & Breach Candy
7> Only Paratha's - Need I Say multiple locations(Versova, Linking Road, Nariman Point)
8> Bukhara - ITC Hotel (Lower Parel)
9> Fiorella - Italian (Leela Kempinski ) Sahar
10> Moshe's - Cuffe Parade
11> Cream Centre - Chaat (Multiple locations) Chowpatty Ghatkopar etc
12> Mangi Ferra - Italian JVPD Scheme opp Juhu Galli
13> Ayubs - Kala Ghoda
14> Yoko Sizzlers - Fountain, SV Road
15> Kobe Sizzlers - Multiple locations
16> Monza - Italian Food - Phoenix Mills
17> Mika's - Continental/multi cuisineMahalaxmi
18> Chenab - Punjabi/multicuisine - Vashi Sector 17(I think)
Will add more later. Am not a 5 star hotel kind of guy and love to eat anywhere as long as the food is good road side or restaurant.

Viper
Hope that helps.

Last edited by viper : 29th September 2006 at 18:39.
Old 29th September 2006, 22:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
My wife is an absolute foodie, so we eat out pretty often. But I dont like having a dinner outside without my whiskey so we generally go to places with a bar only.

Heres our top 10 list:

1. Souk at the Taj : Expensive
2. Olive at Bandra : Well priced. Great ambience.
3. Indigo at Colaba : Well priced. Great ambience.
4. Kalpana : At worli Naka. Cheap. Best punjabi to date.
5. Celini at Grand Hyatt. Expensive but best italian in Bombay.
6. Mezzo Mezzo at JW Marriot. Not too expensive.
7. Bade Miya behind Taj. Cheap. Best kebabs in town.
8. India Jones @ Oberoi. Expensive but SUPERB food.
9. Waffle Place @ Kemps Corner. Cheap and DELICIOUS waffles.
10. Karma @ Opera House. Decent price. Good ambience and music (This is also where we met the first time).
hey dude
where exactly is this bademiyans
Old 30th September 2006, 00:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Bade Miyas is in the lane behind the Taj in colaba. Go to the Taj nd ask anyone about it. You might also want to check out Ayubs which is near Volga Paanvaala in Colaba
Old 30th September 2006, 02:49   #25
RJK
Senior - BHPian

At the behest of getting some serious flak, I think Bade Miyan is just a waste of time. Its tooo hyped now, used to be good but not anymore.
Old 30th September 2006, 09:17   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
At the behest of getting some serious flak, I think Bade Miyan is just a waste of time. Its tooo hyped now, used to be good but not anymore.
with you TOTALLY...
Old 30th September 2006, 12:28   #27
BHPian

How could you people forget swati snacks !!!!!!!!!!!

or kamats !!!!!!!

or the roadside vada pav (with the less spice option of course )

or Kailash Parbat !!!!!

or under the over (yummy nachos)

And the food at hard rock Rocks .. (yes yes even the veggie stuff)

too late 2l8

Last edited by Mad Monkey : 30th September 2006 at 12:38.
Old 30th September 2006, 12:34   #28
BHPian

Can anyone pls list down VEG THALI joints ?

Regular places which are non-star kind within business districts.

This is a yummy thread!
Old 30th September 2006, 15:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
too . And want to add another name to the waste of time list - NOORANIS
Old 30th September 2006, 15:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssl2uv108
Can anyone pls list down VEG THALI joints ?

Regular places which are non-star kind within business districts.

This is a yummy thread!
Rajdhani and Bhagat Tarachand come to mind immediately.

List of places to eat in Navi Mumbai.

1) Chenab - Authentic Punjabi and North Western fare.
2) Supreme Heritage - Very good vegetarian stuff.
3) Bhagat Tarachand - Home like veggie stuff (reasonable rates too)
4) Kshan Bhar Vishranti - at Panvel (Bbay-Goa highway) - Coastal Malwani stuff. Was brilliant - now i have downgraded it to good.

Most Viewed