Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2013, 13:15   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

No wonder that name was in my subconscious mind. However the food at Shivprasad leaves a lot to be desired and the parking woes only reinforce the decision to not head there.

Speaking of parking issues, I would and have a lot of times (read once a month) risked the tow trucks attack, to have missal at Mamlatdar.

Not for the faint hearted, getting a seat in the house that is and certainly not for those with a sensitive digestive tract, the missal that is.

It is "Gourmet Fire"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
I've not seen a decent Udupi restaurant in Thane, that are ubiquitous in Mumbai. Something that comes close is Shivprasad on Ram Maruti Road.
Old 6th April 2013, 16:36   #947
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Looking for good kabab places in the central suburbs
- The kababs which are wrapped in roti with onion and green chutney
- Looking for a sit and eat place.
Old 7th April 2013, 11:22   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Sorry to hear that. Either they must have improved or it must be our lucky day as our 2 families definitely liked could say very good things about it, except some slow delivery issues when we thought they might have actually gone to catch chicken for us from the field.
My Experience at Spice Lane was also similar Parsh! Haven't gone there since! you should try Food Studio down the Same Road, with much more variety in the menu! Also, the manager is a very knowledgeable and friendly guy, who was early with Spice Lane !!
Old 7th April 2013, 12:51   #949
Senior - BHPian

carboy, what you are looking for is the 'ROLL' essentially a combo of
1. Romaali roti
2.a. Kebab. This could be boti[mutton tikka, chikkan tikka & chicken malai tikka] or seekh [again either chicken or mutton or Keema masala again either Chicken or Mutton
2.b. Paneer yes there are paneer tikka versions too (tandoori, Achari, Chutney) pure blasphemy if you ask me
3. Onion, here the cut is essential & has to be a combo of rings and long strands &
4. Green chutney which is essentially pudina chutney and here thickness is the key. Too thick and it will not spread/seep in properly, too thin and it will run thus soaking through the romaali and ruining it.

For a couple of years a shop in Thane offered romaali roti and I would buy all of the above from them and make rolls, then a place opened up in Vashi that offered the actual roll. However both places (they still exist) stopped offering the roomali as the rolls never took off and the higher than normal cost of employing a cook who could make romaali rotis was the final nail in the coffin. In fact I have found the romaali roti to be a rarity on the menus of eateries in Bombay spanning across class divisions.

Of course if you happen to be in Dilli, you only have to go as far as the corner market to find rolls. Interestingly I have found these rolls to be purely a Dilli phenomenon.

The only other city that I know of where rolls are popular is Calcutta. The rolls there are however the deep fried variety known as Kathi rolls but these while being scrumptious are not the same as the Kebab rolls that you are searching. Infact a poor cousin of the Kathi is available in Bombay too, it's known as 'Frankie'.

Apologies for the actually non productive post above but then I could live on rolls my entire life. So, if you do find a place then do share it here as I would love to give it a try on my next drive through Bombay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Looking for good kabab places in the central suburbs
- The kababs which are wrapped in roti with onion and green chutney
- Looking for a sit and eat place.
Old 7th April 2013, 13:06   #950
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
carboy, what you are looking for is the 'ROLL' essentially a combo of
1. Romaali roti
2.a. Kebab. This could be boti[mutton tikka, chikkan tikka & chicken malai tikka] or seekh [again either chicken or mutton or Keema masala again either Chicken or Mutton
2.b. Paneer yes there are paneer tikka versions too (tandoori, Achari, Chutney) pure blasphemy if you ask me
3. Onion, here the cut is essential & has to be a combo of rings and long strands &
4. Green chutney which is essentially pudina chutney and here thickness is the key. Too thick and it will not spread/seep in properly, too thin and it will run thus soaking through the romaali and ruining it.
Actually most of this is right except the rumali roti part. What I referred to - it's mostly tandoori roti.

Also, Calcutta rolls which whenever I have eaten them (never in Calcutta) seemed to use something similar to what Tibbs frankies use - Maida stuff, I think.

I have eaten the Tandoori Roti Seekh kababs rolls at quite a few places but most of them are on the road - for eg. Outside St. Anthony School in Chembur.
Quote:
For a couple of years a shop in Thane offered romaali roti and I would buy all of the above from them and make rolls,
Ended up doing something similar yesterday but in a sit and eat restaurant.
This was at 'Ranjit da Dhaaba' in Chembur Camp. Ordered Roomali Roti & Murgh Tikka & made messy rolls with it (it came with Cut onions and mint chutney).

As always, Kababs/Tandoor stuff was outstanding at Ranjit da Dhaaba. Don't get fooled by the Dhaaba name - it's not a cheap place - not much of an ambiance also.

Murgh Tikka was Rs. 230 odd, I think.

Also did a takeout of Tandoori Prawns for 340Rs. (very little quantity).

Their best bargain is the Full Tandoori at Rs. 230.

Last edited by carboy : 7th April 2013 at 13:13.
Old 7th April 2013, 13:12   #951
Senior - BHPian

Good that you are not afflicted by the romaali virus. Do give the real roll a try if you are ever in Dilli, life will not be the same after that experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Actually most of this is right except the rumali roti part. What I referred to - it's mostly tandoori roti.
Old 7th April 2013, 20:29   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy
rolls
Was watching Highway on my plate & this advert came up for a chain of roll(romaali types) outlets in Bombay.
Following are their contact details
022 - 2497 2578
www.wrapsandrolls.com

Do try & Enjoy !!

Last edited by khoj : 7th April 2013 at 20:30.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:20   #953
BHPian

Name/Location: The Barking Deer Brewpub, Mathuradas Mills, Lower Parel. [Next to Blue Frog]

Average Cost:
1200/head [including beer, starter and main]

Food:
European inspired pub grub for starters while mains are pastas, risottos, steaks etc. The portions are large. For vegetarians, the nachos, potato wedges, beer battered fingers, jalapeno poppers are fab while the non-vegetarians on the table enjoyed charamoula prawn, chicken wings. In the mains, the lamb-shank and chicken waterzooi [thats cooked in beer] were the favourites, the veggies [including me] liked the wild mushroom risotto, the ricotta crepes. While the selection of desserts is small, the votes for the best one were split across the table. However, the beer on offer is the star here - beer buffs come hither. Paulaner, Leffe a few Hefeweizens, stout lovers get a choice between 2 brands and you have a choice where cerveza's are concerned too. Even more beer will be headed our way once TBD's microbrewery license comes through.

Service:
Service is good, but can be better. They need to know the ingredients in their dishes better, but overall attentive and pleasant.

Ambience:
Gorgeous and huge copper beer brewing distillery right behind the bar, brick walls nice lighting, foosball table and music at a volume where one doesn't need to shout. Relaxed vibe and smart-casual clothes work fine. No need to dress up! [phew]

Conclusion:
Beery Good so you need to have a designated driver who isnt drinking or book a cab!
Old 16th June 2013, 19:53   #954
BHPian

Few weeks back, I ordered from Light of Bharat, an Irani Cafe near Shivaji Park - a stone's throw away from Oven Fresh, Home Chef and my house. Until a year back, this was a lousy eatery serving just tea and light snacks, but now the owner has transformed it into a full-fledged restaurant serving not only Authentic Irani and Parsi food, but Mughlai and Chinese as well! (The menu card says "Indianized Chinese" ). He has also set up a kebab counter, and during the evenings, one can smell fresh kebabs even from the other side of the road.

So I ordered their Chinese Combos, which come with a Soup, Starter(Either Spring Roll or Lollipop), and Noodles/Rice + Gravy of your choice. These combos are available in both Veg and NonVeg. In addition, we also tried some of their kebabs. Lip-smacking food at affordable prices ! . In all, food for 3, consisting of all chicken preparations, cost us roughly 700, and it was more than sufficient ! One combo is enough as a meal for 2.

TIP : Its better if you order it home or opt for takeaway, the ambience is okay-ish, everything seemed pretty decent except for the seating - metal benches instead of chairs!

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 16th June 2013 at 19:56.
Old 16th June 2013, 22:58   #955
BHPian

Rosso Corsa
Hi
I used to frequent this place for "brun maska" and tea. Since I have been sitting in Irani joints for decades the ambience doesn't bother,if anything I like it.
2/3 years back somebody on a travel forum posted that their biryani was very good.I didn't try it maybe now will call for it.
Gather from your post that they do home delivery. Am I right?
Regards
PS:A few years back they had a tie-up with Baker's Delight(the bakery at the end of Cadell road towards Mahim junction).Do they still have it?
Old 16th June 2013, 23:22   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Rosso Corsa
Hi
I used to frequent this place for "brun maska" and tea. Since I have been sitting in Irani joints for decades the ambience doesn't bother,if anything I like it.
2/3 years back somebody on a travel forum posted that their biryani was very good.I didn't try it maybe now will call for it.
Gather from your post that they do home delivery. Am I right?
Regards
PS:A few years back they had a tie-up with Baker's Delight(the bakery at the end of Cadell road towards Mahim junction).Do they still have it?
Yes they do home delivery. But pretty slow, take an hour or so. They did have a tie up with the bakery but that was sometime between 2003-2006/7, if memory serves me well. Haven't tried their Biryani yet but their food is overall great. Total value for money.
Old 26th July 2013, 17:21   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Since I have been sitting in Irani joints for decades the ambience doesn't bother,if anything I like it.
So maybe you could recommend some?
Old 27th July 2013, 17:16   #958
BHPian

Quote:
No wonder that name was in my subconscious mind. However the food at Shivprasad leaves a lot to be desired and the parking woes only reinforce the decision to not head there.

Speaking of parking issues, I would and have a lot of times (read once a month) risked the tow trucks attack, to have missal at Mamlatdar.

Not for the faint hearted, getting a seat in the house that is and certainly not for those with a sensitive digestive tract, the missal that is.

It is "Gourmet Fire"
Try Woodland next to Tip Top plaza, they have a decent chef, Saturday and Sunday are specials.
Old 27th July 2013, 18:25   #959
BHPian

Can someone recommend some must visit stalls/restaurants near minara masjid during ramazan?
Old 27th July 2013, 19:32   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
So maybe you could recommend some?
Goodluck cafe, near Mehboob Studio, (my recommended)
Cafe Military, Fort.

One outside Grant Road station. Can't remember the name, its on th east side.

And obviously the old fav at Ballard Pier. Britannia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks