Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 16:02   #496
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Vikram you are something else man. Chal atta ye lavker!!
Gogi. Where can one get good Laksa in South Mumbai? Tried Busaba but no avail.

Also I have still to have a good steak outside of a 5 star in Mumbai. The closest was at a place called Pop Tates near 4 bungalows. I am not talking sizzler. I am talking steak. There is a difference.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:07   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sahil, im sure thats what Aadhish (Khanak) meant, unless hes got a palate for furniture, tapestry and wax, not to mention essential oils

Yes. Sharda Bhavan is known for its coffee. I knew of an accounts professor Mr Raman,who would call us for classes at 6.30am at Matunga. Why not earlier??.. Coz he had to get his morning perk form Sharda Bhavan only and it only opened fr business at around that time. One of the best Upmas i have had ( a tad oily though). Im not a fan of their sambhar as it emits a very strong whiff of coconut oil. Good Ghee sada too.

Really? You like the place Sohail. Maybe you went on one of their good days. I dont think they serve anything really good. Very ok-ish food.

This morning visited the Cafe Colony, off Tilak bridge, after my morning jog, with a friend. We were so ravenous,we ordered a Brun Maska, half Kheema and Akuri. Washed it all down with superb tea.

Good Kheema in an Irani restaurant, with Brun is to be eaten in a certain way.
The Kheema (never be too dry or else it will kill the taste) normally comes with a hint of gravy, outlined by oil. You break the Brun (does not have to be with maska) and dip the piece in the kheema. You let it soak up some of the gravy (which includes the oil) and then, with a spoon held in your other hand, push the kheema, very gently on to your brun.
Once in your mouth you will get a burst of spice and spiked oil flavoured with the masalas. Mmmmm!! Instant nirvana.

I tell you I have eaten a lot of Kheema almost at every place worth its salt in Bombay but this one is one of the better ones. In fact quite close to being the best. Its definitely one of my top rated.

The kheema is also coupled with the friendly chatter of the Irani Uncle (owner0 at the counter flashing his smile with gold and silver capped teeth, greetin each community in their own mother tongue. He always greets me with a "Sat Sri Akal" and I respond back with a Sahebji.

Aon many a day, i take a few of his crisp bruns home to make a good garlic bread.

Kheema & Brun Maska.

Attachment 92067

The quintessential Irani Tea must be had with the brun maska. Sprinkle with sugar and dip in the tea.

Attachment 92068

The other day I was in Pm road area around Fort. In the lane where Ideal restaurant stands, right at the end where the road turns back onto the main road, in the corner there is a small cold drink house which serves refreshing and frothy Lassi, both, sweet and salted. Also one can try their sweet curd pre set in small tea glasses, much on the likes of K Rustom and Co. at Churchgate opp the Ambassador hotel.

The lassi is nothing great but is nice and cool. I tend to always stop there for a bit and whallop down a glass or two of the sweeter variety.

The cool and refreshing, frothy sweet Lassi (the guy sitting next to me thought i was bonkers taking snaps of the glass)

Attachment 92069

While we are on the topic, i have earlier spoken a lot about the thin and crisp Pizzas at Cellini at the Grand Hyatt at Vakola. Here is a pic. The pick is the Parma ham and Rocket (also called Aragula) leaves pizza with shavings of cheese. Its not to be found as yet on the menu but as soon as you mention it the steward will know what you are talking about. For the vegetarians, the sun dried tomato with rocket is a great combo. Do try it with a glass of chilled Chardonnay or similar white wine.

The Parma and Rocket Pizza.

Attachment 92070

I crown thee Lord Gogi, the undisputed King of Gastronomy. Your kingdom is as vast as the expanse of Mumbai.

May you rule for a thousand years.

Now sir, can we get your glorious offerings in terms of food ?

cheers
M M
Old 21st January 2009, 16:22   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Also I have still to have a good steak outside of a 5 star in Mumbai. The closest was at a place called Pop Tates near 4 bungalows. I am not talking sizzler. I am talking steak. There is a difference.
The steak at Society[Hotel Ambassador] is very good.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:28   #499
BHPian

Quote:

Laksa available this side of the Bay of Bengal is highly improbably to satiate ones who have had the original one. (Singapore & HK).

Steak, - Cafe Royale (opp Regal) I think I had seen it on the menu at the Ritz hotel (churchgate) not too sure on this.

regards
MM
Old 21st January 2009, 16:35   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

unfortunately, the only Laksa I had worth anything was at the now closed Cafe Japengo at Inox and Shamiana at the Taj during some food festival but that was quite a while ago. I checked several times after that at the Taj, not on the menu anymore. I didn't know Busaba served Laksa but except their Khao-Suey (not really great) and their Lime/Lemon fish (which i have only heard of and not tried) i dont really care about the food there. As of now i dont know of any place serving Laksa (good or otherwise)
Even im not talking suburbs as im not quite acquainted with eateries of that part.

Quote:

Always respect a man who knows his steak. Pop Tates is owned by a friend but have yet to visit it.

The steak at Hard Rock should be good (if it serves steak) Their Burger is fantastic.

I have also eaten fab steak at "The Other Room" at The Ambassador (four star) also known as "Society". Whoever heard of a restaurant with two names. (just because the owner is a Punju does not mean a restaurant should have a pet name. Thank God its not called lucky or happy. Imagine the hotel being called The Pinky . ("I want to go to Lucky at The Pinky to eat a T-Bone )

I have also not ventured there for a while now but every experience in the past was always good. Another place that serves good steak is Indigo (the original one). At least they get their cooking time right. Most others will over cook your steak and give you a well dome one. Timing is of the essence while cooking and serving steak. I like mine Medium Rare.

I like eating Steak in a Bun at Cafe Royal or whatever its called now. But thats sliced steak. Still good in a warm bun with sliced grilled onions.

Pair Steak with a glass of good Malbec!!

Edit:- I see Scooby boss has contributed to this thread and rightly so

@-Manish:- kabhi bhi aaja bhaya.

Last edited by V-16 : 21st January 2009 at 16:39.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:46   #501
BHPian

There is an omellette/anda guy opp goregaon station west - "Thakurs" try the "duo pe aadha " = double omellete + half fry on top of it. Its nice. Gives it with sliced tomatoes sprinkled with chat masala, onions , pav and green chutney
Old 21st January 2009, 17:46   #502
BHPian

Had been to a new place for me atleast, right out side the entrace of lokandwala on the right hand side, which sevres rolls and tikkas. any review about the same. Pretty good. I think its a calcutta food joint or something from the eastern side, atleast thats what the hoarding said. God i even forgot the name

Gogi Sir, I like any food ya.. whats good and bad, pata hi nahin chalta hai. Sirf stomach Bharta ha hehehe.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:22   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Note:- I was there after a 5 km jog + a 4 km walk, this morning.
- You jogged that one morning only because you wanted to lay your hand on that kheema !!
Old 22nd January 2009, 17:58   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
- You jogged that one morning only because you wanted to lay your hand on that kheema !!
Instead i ate the Kheema and sundry because i had jogged that much.

Quote:
....In the lane where Ideal restaurant stands, right at the end where the road turns back onto the main road, in the corner there is a small cold drink house which serves refreshing and frothy Lassi, both, sweet and salted. Also one can try their sweet curd pre set in small tea glasses, much on the likes of K Rustom and Co. at Churchgate opp the Ambassador hotel.
I was at fort again this afternoon and met up with some people at Appurva. Good food. As i had parked near the place where one gets the sweet dahi and frothy lassi I ventured in there for a sweet dahi again. Got the name of the place this time. Its called "Meher Cold Drink House"

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-22012009798.jpg

Heres the pic of the sweet dahi (although the one served at Rustom's at Churchgate is better)
Thats not milk in the glass but set sweet curd.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-22012009797.jpg
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:06   #505
BHPian

V-16, you are on route to become the Panda who vists the bar, "he eats shoots and leaves"
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:20   #506
Senior - BHPian

he's more like the panda who eats ALL the food, shoots everyone and then leaves!
Old 22nd January 2009, 20:36   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
V-16, you are on route to become the Panda who vists the bar, "he eats shoots and leaves"
It's a good thing you didn't liken him to the hunter who - goes deep in the bush, shoots twice and always eats what he shoots.
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:14   #508
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
There is an omellette/anda guy opp goregaon station west - "Thakurs" try the "duo pe aadha " = double omellete + half fry on top of it. Its nice. Gives it with sliced tomatoes sprinkled with chat masala, onions , pav and green chutney

But on my recent trip to Surat, I had been to this roadside laahri which is quite famous and has relatives in US lol and also has a paan ka galla, right behind him.
Im talking about Rajubhai who serves only eggs and nothing else.
He saw me getting down from my car and came to know that im from Mumbai (on seeing MH 01)
Rajubhai: "You are not from here?"
Me: No but I want to have a very nice omlette.
Rajubhai: Please have a seat, I'll make you a special one, its not a traditional omlette, pan bau mast item che

After few minutes he sent me a dish which looked a fish. I looked at him and he said "Its called omlette paplet" I was amazed. I took a bite and rest was history. I loved it to core, I had never had anything like this made of eggs. It was like two omlettes filled with hara lasan, onions, spicy masala and cooked in oil. From that day onwards I have made it a point to visit Rajubhai everytime I go to Surat. I think hara lasan is seasonal? but doesnt matter regular omlettes are to die for.

Where in Mumbai will I get similar if not same omlette wala? Preferable, South Mumbai? Gogiji?
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:20   #509
Senior - BHPian

ive heard of Velubhai for omlettes at juhu. never been there, but heard a lot about his array of omlettes. anyone tried his fare???
speaking of eggs, there was a time when Dukes Retreat at Khandala was at its peak and the most amazing eggs to order were available for breakfast! the spread used to be amazing and the food was awesome!
Old 22nd January 2009, 21:45   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
ive heard of Velubhai for omlettes at juhu. never been there, but heard a lot about his array of omlettes. anyone tried his fare???
speaking of eggs, there was a time when Dukes Retreat at Khandala was at its peak and the most amazing eggs to order were available for breakfast! the spread used to be amazing and the food was awesome!
Since the year 2000, we have been calling it the Puke's Retreat in terms of food served there.

My wife and self had gone there for a weekend stay, we ate here. Ordered a continental dish for myself and wife ordered Indian.

On our way back to Bombay we were sick. Thanks to the food.

Post that incident if in Lonavla we restrict our visits to Fariyas and Ramakrishna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks