Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:53   #511
Senior - BHPian

I'm somehow not a fan of all these fancy omelettes. I just love the omelette at the neighbourhood Irani restaurant, Koolar. The ingredients are just chopped onions and lots of green chillies in addition to the eggs and oodles of oil. Has to be accompanied by the kaddu sauce. No fun otherwise. Almost half the fun of a good omelette is in the paav. Just like in paav bhaaji.
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:03   #512
Senior - BHPian

yea, Koolar has got some awesome omlette. kheema pav is also good. but the last time i went i had some sandwich which was so so. havent been there in a while.
Old 22nd January 2009, 23:13   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post

"Its called omlette paplet"
Where in Mumbai will I get similar if not same omlette wala? Preferable, South Mumbai? Gogiji?
Omlette Paplet...now ive heard everything.
I dont even know what the hell this dish is. If i can eat it (hint-hint) maybe i will be able to tell. Not possible that no one in Bombay makes it. It might be known as something else.

Yes Green garlic is seasonal and delicious. Not as strong as the bulbous variety, it is like a spring onion, a single clove of garlic with a green shoot. You make an awesome chutney with this, garlic, green et all. I have a friend who makes a kheema with this garlic. Its heavenly and has a greenish hue to it...naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I'm somehow not a fan of all these fancy omelettes. I just love the omelette at the neighbourhood Irani restaurant, Koolar. The ingredients are just chopped onions and lots of green chillies in addition to the eggs and oodles of oil. Has to be accompanied by the kaddu sauce. No fun otherwise. Almost half the fun of a good omelette is in the paav. Just like in paav bhaaji.
The sigh of a good Irani Omlete is the crisp frilly surround. Its like a filigree and is obtained by literally deep frying your eggs.

I just love it but always have mine without onions. I hate raw onions.
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:17   #514
Senior - BHPian

May your tribe increase, pappe! I have promised myself a pilgrimage to Mumbai purely based on the joints described in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
... it is like a spring onion, a single clove of garlic with a green shoot. You make an awesome chutney with this, garlic, green et all. I have a friend who makes a kheema with this garlic. Its heavenly and has a greenish hue to it...naturally.
Chives - the favorite of the French. Not a single clove, it is the whole garlic in making. Also used in Garlic Papad and Amul Garlic Pepper Cheese Spread (when you can get some).
Quote:
...The sigh of a good Irani Omlete is the crisp frilly surround. Its like a filigree and is obtained by literally deep frying your eggs. ...
Oye hoye, yaad aa gaya wo zamaana! There used to be a thela-wala in Nehru Place in Delhi, who was the finest exponent of this vanishing art. Nary a winter evening when we would miss hogging on a couple of his masterpieces (@Rs 1.25 incl. the bread). Comparatively the omelettes made today are soggy kerchiefs.
Quote:
... I hate raw onions.
How uncharacteristic! You definitely don't belong to the tribe which eats mushtika-ghaat onions.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:27   #515
BHPian

Dee's Rolls (Hill road: opposite holy family hospital)
Generally when I am coming back from office late and have not had anything to eat, just like to stop by and pick up a simple egg roll. It is very oily, tasty, calcutta style (actually i think it is bhubaneswar style which is where i am from and all my life i have enjoyed only this type of rolls). And after ten, Hill Road is quiet, and you can sit at ease in your car and have it in peace.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:48   #516
Senior - BHPian

Can anybdy tell if 'Janardans' at khar danda fishermans village is still operative?
He used to make the Best Stuffed giant Pomprets I have eaten.
Old 23rd January 2009, 15:50   #517
Senior - BHPian

any one tried the cheese malai kababs at karims???????
HEAVENLY!
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:08   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Can anybdy tell if 'Janardans' at khar danda fishermans village is still operative?
Sounds good to me. Can you tell me where exactly this was and i will try and check it. Have turned fish-eaterean for a year and desperate to try some variety.

Last edited by manolin : 23rd January 2009 at 16:27.
Old 24th January 2009, 16:08   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
May your tribe increase, pappe! I have promised myself a pilgrimage to Mumbai purely based on the joints described in this thread.
Anytime sirji. You are welcome.

Quote:
Chives - the favorite of the French. Not a single clove, it is the whole garlic in making. Also used in Garlic Papad and Amul Garlic Pepper Cheese Spread (when you can get some).
Actually, the French, as we do in India, refer to what we call "Chotta Pyaz" when talking about Chives.
The Chinese on the other hand mean the Garlic Chives, when referring to Chives

Quote:
How uncharacteristic! You definitely don't belong to the tribe which eats mushtika-ghaat onions.
Hai na?? I have been pooh poohed for not being a true blue Panju coz i hate raw onions. I dont care. I absolutely hate the stuff, raw, even Mustika Ghat onios or as the Panjabi will say Mukkewala Pyaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I have not heard of this guy. must look him up now.
Old 25th January 2009, 12:58   #520
Senior - BHPian

did anyone make it to the yearly koli seafood festival thats going on at versova?
was going to go with friends, but plan got canned and dined home with takeout from Noorani.
Heard a lot about the food at the festival. cant make it today. anyone went???
Old 25th January 2009, 18:17   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anytime sirji. You are welcome.

Actually, the French, as we do in India, refer to what we call "Chotta Pyaz" when talking about Chives.
The Chinese on the other hand mean the Garlic Chives, when referring to Chives

You're talking about "Sambhar Onions" right?
Old 25th January 2009, 18:19   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Dee's Rolls (Hill road: opposite holy family hospital)
Generally when I am coming back from office late and have not had anything to eat, just like to stop by and pick up a simple egg roll. It is very oily, tasty, calcutta style (actually i think it is bhubaneswar style which is where i am from and all my life i have enjoyed only this type of rolls). And after ten, Hill Road is quiet, and you can sit at ease in your car and have it in peace.
What is an egg roll? Is it similar to the rolls you get at Nizams in Delhi? I would do anything to get my hands on a nice single egg double chicken roll from there.
Old 26th January 2009, 02:27   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
You're talking about "Sambhar Onions" right?
No Adheesh, this is almost like a spring onion only smaller, as small as a small madras onion with a green shoot attached to it. Thats a chive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
What is an egg roll? Is it similar to the rolls you get at Nizams in Delhi? I would do anything to get my hands on a nice single egg double chicken roll from there.
An egg roll is basically a baida roti but not flat but rolled. Nizams of Delhi had now got really bad and greasy. Try Alis Kathi rolls from Greater Kailash-II. In bombay, Ayub's and Bade Miyan will gladly make an egg roll for you. Secondly the nan sandwich guy, where we went during out Ramadan eatfest, will do it too, in his own style.
Old 26th January 2009, 10:32   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Sounds good to me. Can you tell me where exactly this was and i will try and check it. Have turned fish-eaterean for a year and desperate to try some variety.
If you go to Khar Danda fishing village and ask for him, anyone will guide you to him. That is if he is still on. He used to operate at evening/night time only. We would sit on the terrace of his small house with our drinks and his wife would cook the speciality chutney stuffed pompret. Later on he had also started home delivery in Bandra khar area, but this is also 10 years old story.
Old 26th January 2009, 15:29   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Adheesh, this is almost like a spring onion only smaller, as small as a small madras onion with a green shoot attached to it. Thats a chive.

An egg roll is basically a baida roti but not flat but rolled. Nizams of Delhi had now got really bad and greasy. Try Alis Kathi rolls from Greater Kailash-II. In bombay, Ayub's and Bade Miyan will gladly make an egg roll for you. Secondly the nan sandwich guy, where we went during out Ramadan eatfest, will do it too, in his own style.

I believe Khan Chacha was also pretty popular, this was about 3-4 years ago when I was there. I guess I'm going to have to wait for my next trip back to go to the naan sandwich place. From all the places we ate at the naan sandwich was my favourite

Moshe has opened up a small bakery near Indigo Deli, theres very little seating and walking up the stairs is really dangerous. Now theres just this fabric store between Moshe and Indigo, it would be great to see another eatery come up there.

I was at Indigo Deli last night and unfortunately they didn't have the Grand Marnier souffle and had a pineapple one instead which I didn't want to try so I had their Creme Brulee instead. Iv really started to take a liking to their deserts.

Most Viewed