Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 21:44   #541
Senior - BHPian

but the name of the dish IS balti mutton. and its actually good! but i dunno about the balti funda.
i went to a couple of places in London, that served this balti cuisine, and you could make out from looking at the dishes at one glance, that the word BALTI was being abused, batsardized and re-batsardized.(i know the real spelling, this is a loophole to use the apt word.)
2 places worth mentioning in London are Lahore Karahi at Tooting, and Balti Hut near Shepherds' Bush. Absolute quality, and dishes like the butter chicken and mango lassi were just the way i like them. also the naans are huge, and the quantities were good (incidentally, all people living in London believe in the concept of ordering for themselves, so a rule of no sharing, maybe because there is no caring :-) hence, i didnt get to sample the palak chicken that one of my british cousins was eating. lol
the bill for 3 mango lassis and 3 main courses and 3 naans for 3 people was.. hold your breath... 68 Pound!! saywhat????? hehehe
and then we had paan, which was more like sugar wrapped in a betel leaf, which cost 5 Pound!!!!!!

i quite remember the meal at lahore karahi, and the only food that tastes quite like it is that of Khyber at kala ghoda. loove the quality of ingredients, but its a pricey place, not somewhere you'd frequent daily.

Last edited by frankmehta : 29th January 2009 at 21:45.
Old 29th January 2009, 22:17   #542
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hey all! Would appreciate recommendations for vegetarian places open at around 7-8 in the morning in/around Bandra, or preferably towards Andheri side, but not beyond Bandra. Will be taking my gf with me so going to/around anything shady is a no-no. As far as food is concerned, something light to medium heavy is preferred. Thanks in advance!
Old 29th January 2009, 22:21   #543
Senior - BHPian

CANDIES, CANDIES AND CANDIES.
my suggestion! absolutely beautiful place to go with GF for breakfast. dunno what time it opens. i doubt 7. but if you do go later, its highly recommended. good veg as well as non veg food
Old 29th January 2009, 22:29   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
CANDIES, CANDIES AND CANDIES.
my suggestion! absolutely beautiful place to go with GF for breakfast. dunno what time it opens. i doubt 7. but if you do go later, its highly recommended. good veg as well as non veg food
sai sagar in reclaimation:-)
Old 29th January 2009, 22:32   #545
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Where is it located?

Edit: thanks

Last edited by pranavt : 29th January 2009 at 22:37.
Old 30th January 2009, 02:37   #546
BHPian

Quote:
but the name of the dish IS balti mutton. and its actually good! but i dunno about the balti funda.
i went to a couple of places in London, that served this balti cuisine, and you could make out from looking at the dishes at one glance, that the word BALTI was being abused, batsardized and re-batsardized.(i know the real spelling, this is a loophole to use the apt word.)
2 places worth mentioning in London are Lahore Karahi at Tooting, and Balti Hut near Shepherds' Bush. Absolute quality, and dishes like the butter chicken and mango lassi were just the way i like them. also the naans are huge, and the quantities were good (incidentally, all people living in London believe in the concept of ordering for themselves, so a rule of no sharing, maybe because there is no caring :-) hence, i didnt get to sample the palak chicken that one of my british cousins was eating. lol
the bill for 3 mango lassis and 3 main courses and 3 naans for 3 people was.. hold your breath... 68 Pound!! saywhat????? hehehe
and then we had paan, which was more like sugar wrapped in a betel leaf, which cost 5 Pound!!!!!!

i quite remember the meal at lahore karahi, and the only food that tastes quite like it is that of Khyber at kala ghoda. loove the quality of ingredients, but its a pricey place, not somewhere you'd frequent daily.
Shepard's bush is a bit waaaaaaaaaaaay out of london.

Chutney Mary's is really where Indian food is and where it really hits you where it hurts (if you are an Indian earning in India)

A cousin of mine owns Sakoni the world over ( UK/Dubai), believe me its very simple to bring in foreign cuisine in the UK, provided you RETAIN the cook !

Balti is Birmingham and my dear frankbhai. I am now doubtful of the meat you have eaten at Durga.

There is no balti outside the UK, please believe this, if you want come over we will have a conference call across the UK at all the top restaurants, (Natco) being a friend will confirm who is cooking what & where.

I was initially surprised at having a Matunga joint serve balti, fortunately for me Bass & Trouble cleared our doubts.

Let's have aT-bhp meet at Lahore, its barely 90 kms from Amritsar, it should only be a foodie meet. Thats it. No more.

No visa no problem, I am sure they can deliver at Wagah. !

Cheers
my 2 cents.

M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 30th January 2009 at 02:56.
Old 30th January 2009, 02:41   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Thanks! Where is it located?

Edit: thanks
Candies AKA heaven for both eyes & the palate is located at the ONGC housing colony opposite the "in" gate lane at BAndra Reclamation ( this is where I usually go and know directions) you can go to the end of the bandra flyover towards the bridge side where there's a dead end, take a right if you are coming from Andheri on the flyover and take a U turn and then a left turn,

after the left turn take a right from the T junction, post the T junction you can then take a right IN FRONT OF lilavati hospital's service gate. There will be a signboard on the divider by the sign of CAndies in red, lettering on a white background take this lane and at the end of the lane is Candies.

Holy land of the foodies.
Cheers
If yet difficult to find, PM me, ill give you telephonic directions.

warm regards

M M
Old 30th January 2009, 11:29   #548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Holy land of the foodies.
Cheers
Agreed. If only they opened up a litttle earlier, i would love to pick up breakfast everyday from here on my way to office.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:10   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The drink is actually called Pallonji's

Oh man..i love this drink. Sometimes i drive all the way to town to Cafe Military to have this. Any other place where this is served? I think Jimmy Bhoy also serves this.
Old 30th January 2009, 13:12   #550
Senior - BHPian

you're right. had it in jimmy boy last.
i think this photo IS from jimmy if im not wrong
Old 30th January 2009, 15:03   #551
Senior - BHPian

Hey, thanks for the recommendation. Candies was very good. The tarts and cakes were amazing. Most probably, my sister's getting a post at Lilavati, so I'm going to bug her everyday to get me some.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:07   #552
Senior - BHPian

the pleasure's mine and the calories are all your's!
Old 30th January 2009, 16:05   #553
BHPian

Quote:
you're right. had it in jimmy boy last.
i think this photo IS from jimmy if im not wrong
There is an Irani place in Ballard Estate called Britannia whose signature dish is the Berry Pulao (which was too sweet for my taste). Don't they also serve this drink?
Old 1st February 2009, 16:13   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The drink is actually called Pallonji's
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Oh man..i love this drink. Sometimes i drive all the way to town to Cafe Military to have this. Any other place where this is served? I think Jimmy Bhoy also serves this.
Even Brittania and few others sell the stuff. It tastes nothing like the fruit its named after (much like the Raspberry jelly)

Actually Pallonji is the name of the manufacturer. Its actually a Raspberry. These are dying drinks now and available only at select outlets. One can see these at Parsee functions, accompanying the banquets. There were a few companies which used to make them till they either shut shop pr were taken over. Roger's Duke's Pallonji's Fram's, etc etc. (available in select Poona eateries) None of these had anything except their name printed on the bottle, mainly becuase the bottles were all the same so why waste on printing and dedicte the bottle to only one flavour. The famous ones were, Raspberry, Ice-Cream Soda, Orange and Lemon. Some alo made a Ginger. I think only Pallonji's is surviving now. Roger's shut shop but i see a few plastic pet bottles with these contents being sold at some shops so have they been revived? A special mention should be made of Sosyo my all time favourite drink, still available and best enjoyed ice ice cold.
Old 1st February 2009, 16:44   #555
BHPian

I loved Roger's Ice-cream soda. Hate Sosyo!

Most Viewed