Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:23   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Years ago, when I was in school, there used to be a drink called "FALSA". Available in a couple of tiny outlets near and around Bombay Central, this was a hit among us. What I loved about it was the fact that after opening the bottle, one had to add a pinch of salt, (dished out by the stall guy) to make it taste tangier..
mmmm, I'm thirsty !
Falsa is still available. And I have seen it only around Mumbai Central. Comes in Orange and Raspberry. But I have never been offered any salt with it. Super cheap also. I'm not a fan of aerated drinks though.
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:21   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I am an out and out Sosyo fan. Those who drink can remember the taste very close to Rum & Coke. On the bottle, there is a line

Coming to Gujrati Thali, the other day I went to Golden Star. I am very disappointed yet again with that place. The food served was cold and when i insisted that the food be hot, the guy gave nme a look as if he was serving me free food. The vegetables were not tasty and the dal and kadi was excessively salty. The Farsan was horrible and uncooked. I think ill not be visiting the place in for a while now, though i used to like it a lot. I think the staff was not interested to serve as there was a match going on and everyone was only ogling at the TV. Not done.

Im hungry. Think ill make a beeline to cafe colony for my brun maska "choi" if he still has some brun left over.
Aisa mat karo Gogi bhai. I'ts excruciating to read all this immediately after watching Anthony Bourdain's Singapore episode of No Reservations, the Tuscany one and the Venice episode.

Can't leave at 2 pm in the night and find an open irani restaurant at Powai can I ?

On a serious note do allow me to treat you to the Thakker's thali at the Club, V V dependable, i.e. nothing gone wrong since the past 29 years. So is the dhansak at the club.

Cheers & Bon apetit meanwhile.
M M
Old 3rd February 2009, 04:10   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Can't leave at 2 pm in the night and find an open irani restaurant at Powai can I ?
You won't be able to find a closed Irani restaurant at Powai either.
Old 3rd February 2009, 07:47   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
This whole sosyo campa-cola thing is based in the 70s right.
BTW guys just re-discovered Phantom sweet cigarettes today.
now i need to get rola cola too!
Where did you find them?
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:45   #575
BHPian

superselect: where you from christ church school at Clare Road, because, Falsa was available at the small outlet right outside the school, opposite st.agnes girls school . I dark coloured drink, outside that tiny shop on the pavement was also a ragda wala. I believe that was the usual haunt for students of both the schools.

Aprandiv: i used to buy those sweet cigarretes just , i think it somewhat tasted like mint. lols . Rola cola is a coca cola flavoured sweet right.
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:53   #576
Senior - BHPian

A Kheema paav at an Irani joint meet?
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:55   #577
Senior - BHPian

I even used to like Dukes Ice Cream Soda. Sadly you dont get ice cream sodas like the old days anymore.

Had Kombdi Wada and Bombil fry from Raju's Kombdi Wada stall at Dadar on Friday last week. Absolutely divine. This guy is located on Gokhale Road outside Sachin Hotel.

How about a food meet next week but unlike last time which was at Cafe Mocambo a quite plush place, lets make this street food types ( kheema pav, nan sandwich, baida roti and rolls) meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally crazy
How about doing this after the Blind Man rally briefing on Saturday evening?

Last edited by Dippy : 3rd February 2009 at 11:01.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:12   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Gogi paaji, if i die of a clot in my heart, i know who to blame. Damn... Everytime i read your posts i eat double in the subsequent meal!
On a more serious note, when are we all going out for some kickas dinner :-)
Anytime my friend. ust get everyone together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I need to eat kheema now !! right now !!

Gogi?? any ideas ?
For you only Lamba or the Sindhi at Camp near Jhama (as you wont venture out of Chembur you spoilt brat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
This whole sosyo campa-cola thing is based in the 70s right.
BTW guys just re-discovered Phantom sweet cigarettes today.
now i need to get rola cola too!
Guess what I used to be a fan and then they just disappeared. My Wife discovered them and now we always have a few friendly packs lying in my house anytime. My sons are fans too. We are a Phantom (Harnik) family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Another really strange thing I like drinking is gripe water. It's a medicine used for babies when theyre teething to control the pain - tastes amazing.
Come to my arms!! I love the stuff. I even have pangs and get one bottle every now and then from the chemist. If only he knew who was consuming them. My wife thinks ive lost it. Amongst baby food i used to love eating dry milk powder by Amul. I thik it was called Bal Amul of something, i dont know if we get it anymore though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Years ago, when I was in school, there used to be a drink called "FALSA". Available in a couple of tiny outlets near and around Bombay Central, this was a hit among us. What I loved about it was the fact that after opening the bottle, one had to add a pinch of salt, (dished out by the stall guy) to make it taste tangier..
mmmm, I'm thirsty !
FAls was always available opp my school Don Bosco at Matunga. The real fruit, if you want is avaialble at Matunga market occasionally and at Lonavala all the time. Its winter and i think the season for falsa. Otherwise go to Idris in Bohri mohalla and get a bottle of his syrup. Im sure it will be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
On a serious note do allow me to treat you to the Thakker's thali at the Club, V V dependable, i.e. nothing gone wrong since the past 29 years. So is the dhansak at the club.

Cheers & Bon apetit meanwhile.
M M
Im game anytime for a good no nonsense Gujju Thali.

Quote:
Anytime. Sassanian, Kyani and Cafe Brabourne near Metro or Cafe Colony or Koolar at Dadar.
When?? When??

Going to good earth for lunch. Will get pics and details!!
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:15   #579
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Went to Olive - three people. A business dinner (no drinks) came up to 3,500. Thats killer, not because I don't think its worth it (lovely ambience), but simply because I find the bandra olive cheaper! Much cheaper! Is it only a gut feeling or a fact?
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:30   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For you only Lamba or the Sindhi at Camp near Jhama (as you wont venture out of Chembur you spoilt brat)

Quote:
Me too

Quote:
Anytime. Sassanian, Kyani and Cafe Brabourne near Metro or Cafe Colony or Koolar at Dadar.
When?? When??
ASAP - tonight ?

Quote:
Going to good earth for lunch. Will get pics and details!!
Bring it on!
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:04   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Me too

ASAP - tonight ?

Bring it on!
No boss cant make it tonite as i have a dinner fixed up already.

I just met up at Good Earth with my wife and my dear friend from out of town. Wifey had taken him shopping for his family and we decided to meet up at te Good Earth Cafe (called the tasting room) at Raghuvanshi mills.

Almost empty the place has a wonderful ambience and is probably one of the most inviting restaurants for lunch/brunch. A great place to catch up with your friends or mate where one can be seated in an informal atmosphere. Very recommended.

Our order:

1)Ceaser's salad @ Rs 190/- (can be ordered either with or without chicken, ours was with) This is a must have here as its probably the only place the greens are ice cold, one of a pre requisite to a good crunchy salad to be had in a tropical country.

2) Pink Grapefruit and Prawn salad @ Rs 350/- in green pesto dressing..Ho hu not recommended. The greens were not chilled and the prawn was overcooked. Very important to cook the prawns just right. A little overcooked and they tend to get rubbery and loose that crunch.

We ordered two sandwiches (which can be ordered in either a multigrain bread, foccaccia or a bagel. I recommend the multigrain. The foccaccia is not a foccaccia and the bagel is not fresh. One gets the feeing its a mucrowaved into being rubbery. The filling is great.The salad portions are quite substantial for one while the sandwich is a real small serving for the price.

3) Chicken and Parmesan sandwich @ RS 190/- in a multigrain bread

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-03022009819.jpg

4) Bacon and Gorgonzola @ Rs 250/- in a bagel

The food is good, and quite standard. The presentation of sandwiches is good and comes in a plate in which you can play football...with the food in it.

Heres the empty plate. I met a friend and went to her table to wish her and when i came back the bagel was gone, hence the empty plate with the accompaniments intact.
In the background the almost eaten grapefruit and prawn salad.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-03022009820.jpg

Washed down with a Watermelon Caipiroshka - non Alcoholic
(could be a tad less sour) and of course a Diet coke.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-03022009817.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-03022009818.jpg

One thing that needs to be addressed here is the lethargic unfriendly service. My wife and me go there on a very regular basis and we have always found the service to be very lethargic and uncaring, besides always seeing new faces. Where have all the staff from the last time gone? Although not rude, they do tend to just take the customers for granted. The food is not exactly cheap (for a salad at Rs 350/- and a sandwich for Rs 250/- plus taxes plus 7% service charge).

You are served a bread basket o arrival. Ask for it to be warmed, served with herb butter.

Service charge is another issue. How much tip does one leave when you are charged a service charge? I generally put in a minimum of 10-15% of the tab as a tip. If im charged a service charge, then i will deduct that percentage from the tip. I think its fair as you are already being charged a tip in the form of a service charge in the bill.

I have in the past had their soup and some main course. The main course is not as good as the sandwich or the salad. The one thing that is really really good in the main course is the grilled fish and the Steak. (Approx @ Rs 350-385/-)

Then deserts to choose from. Frankly i wouldnt waste my palate on desserts here. I have not liked a single one (not bad but not as good as say, Moshes or Basilico and the others)

The Bill arrives in a period wooden box. On close inspection it is a box made of cloves. How ingenious. The damn thing smells so good. I have never seen it anywhere else. Im told it is sold in the store next door.

Tonite: Woodside in and Lepopld's again
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:11   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tonite: Woodside in and Lepopld's again
Gogi, you know how I feel now ?

Like this - the horse is you and the guy beating it is me !!!

Old 3rd February 2009, 17:12   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Anytime my friend. ust get everyone together.

When?? When??

s!!
Quote:

Me too

ASAP - tonight ?

Bring it on!
Guys, let me know time and availability, will make it, meet up at Gogi's place and carry on from there.

Cheers
M M
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:36   #584
Senior - BHPian

Gogi how about Saturday after the rally briefing? Typical Irani fare (Read Kheema pav etc all )
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:05   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gogi, you know how I feel now ?

Like this - the horse is you and the guy beating it is me !!!

"OUCH"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Gogi how about Saturday after the rally briefing? Typical Irani fare (Read Kheema pav etc all )
DIpz you know these Iranis shut shop pretty early. Idont think they will have even Brun left, leave alone the Kheema. Besides Saturday is a bad night for me to go out. Any other week day and preferably in the evening is fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks