Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 11:32   #601
BHPian

There is a south indian thali joint called 'Modern Hindu Lodge' (or on similar lines) behind New Excelsior theatre. This is in a gully between SBI and New Excelsior theatre and is on the 4th floor of one of the old stone buildings there. It would be near to impossible to find it unless you are lucky. The trick is to ask the watchmen of the various buildings around that area

This place is actually a low cost lodge and they serve a regular South Indian thali in the afternoons and evenings @ Rs 40 a plate. They just serve it in two 15*12 ft rooms which they have where they've arranged a few tables. The food is served in banana leaf (they will provide you a thali if you ask them). The best thing about this place is the hygiene. Despite the modest look, the kitchen and the service is extremely hygienic. The kitchen is in the room next to it and is open for all to see - and believe me it would put many a 5 star kitchens to shame when it comes to cleanliness. The thalis/spoons/vaatis are washed in hot water.

Coming to the food, it is typically South Indian. You get a dry sabzi, 2 rotis (limited), a papadam (limited), rice, dal, sambhar, rasam and butter milk OR curd.

None of the items that you get will be lower than 'piping' hot temps! The rasams here are to die for. Rasam and sambhar will keep changing their main ingredient everyday e.g. tomato, tamarind, karela !!! It is one of the most fulfilling comfort lunch you'll ever have.

Try it to believe it.
Old 6th February 2009, 14:16   #602
Senior - BHPian

@kalpeshc: Chief, you have made my day. Checked your post around lunch time, and felt desperately hungry. Made the 1 km trek, hunted this place out.
Let me tell you, the food is truly truly awesome. The cleanliness is impeccable ! Had a great south Indian meal after a loooong time !! Thanks a ton.
By the way the place is:
Modern Hindu Hotel. 4th floor, Apeejay chambers, 5 wallace street, fort. This is the lane behind new excelsior cinema, the building is almost at the end of the lane.
Burrrrp. I'm falling asleep now.
zzzzz.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:51   #603
BHPian

Woah. I am so happy for you and that you've managed to find the place and also made sure that you listed the address here.

Guys believe me - this super simple place is too good to be missed. All foodies out there should have this lunch at least once. The best thing about it is the 'home food' quality that it has! No excessive oil, nothing. I've had it so many times and i miss it desperately now.

PS: The butter milk out here is the best that I've ever had (and I'm a Gujju - LOL)

(Amazing how one can go ga-ga over something as simple as food!)
Old 9th February 2009, 16:31   #604
BHPian

Today I happened to be in Dadar and for my lunch I thought of that little small pocket of South India in our city - Matunga East. Unfortunately Rama Nayak's Thali joint was closed as it was Monday and the only option available was 'Mahabhoj' - 3 min from Matunga (central) station on the East towards Dadar side. The small eatery is on the right side of the road and around lunch time it is quite conspicuous with the queue of patrons outside. There's seating arrangement for just around 25 odd people and the coupons are sold as the seats get vacated.

It's basically a thali option - with unlimited dal/rasam. Rasam is good and the other stuff is just average (I'd definitely not call it bad as it is good food for a non-south indian like me - but I've had better). The food is not hot - just warm - which is a drawback and the service is not top notch - the refills are not quick and the 'vaatis' are so small that without a refill you're left with quite less to eat.

Recommended if there is nothing else around to eat!
Old 9th February 2009, 18:42   #605
Senior - BHPian

Today, me and my gf felt like eating Malpuas. She knew this place in Kandivli called Sri Ram Sweets. It's in the same lane as Raghuleela Mall, bang opposite D-Mart. We had about 10-12 malpuas between us, 2 samosas and vada pavs and kachoris.

The food was really really amazing, especially the malpuas which literally melted in our mouths. The samosas were to die for, being one of the best I've eaten anywhere (other places include my school canteen and MM Mithaiwala opp Malad Stn).

Anyone in/around Kandivli, please don't miss this place for anything in this world. The food is just amazing. Will remember to take my camera-phone with me next time I go there, which should be soon I think.
Old 9th February 2009, 20:38   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Recommended if there is nothing else around to eat!
True. Its nothing more than absolutely ordinary at best and nowhere close to Rama Nayaks.
Old 11th February 2009, 19:42   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Today, me and my gf felt like eating Malpuas. She knew this place in Kandivli called Sri Ram Sweets. It's in the same lane as Raghuleela Mall, bang opposite D-Mart. We had about 10-12 malpuas between us, 2 samosas and vada pavs and kachoris.
Hi Pranav, the best Malpuas (veg ones) by far are available at Swati Snacks - Diagonally opposite Bhatia Hospital - Tardeo, Bombay.

Awesome Malpuas. The stuffing, the syrup is all authentic.

It's a bit far, the decor is great, however a bit far into town.

Cheers
M M
Old 11th February 2009, 21:23   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Went to Olive - three people. A business dinner (no drinks) came up to 3,500. Thats killer, not because I don't think its worth it (lovely ambience), but simply because I find the bandra olive cheaper! Much cheaper! Is it only a gut feeling or a fact?
I believe they have the same Menu with the same prices.
Old 11th February 2009, 23:46   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Pranav, the best Malpuas (veg ones) by far are available at Swati Snacks - Diagonally opposite Bhatia Hospital - Tardeo, Bombay.

Cheers
M M
Thanks! Will remember that place when I'm visiting town.
Old 12th February 2009, 00:26   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Cheers
M M
To add to that, best would be during ramzan time at Mohammed Ali Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I believe they have the same Menu with the same prices.
Yes, same menu and prices. Although both the places changed their menu a few months back. New menu is awesome! Their clay oven pizzas are to die for!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 12th February 2009 at 00:28.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:14   #611
BHPian

Guys a bit urgent,
Best place to have lunch in Bandra ?
Budget for 2 - 1500. (No alco)
I was thinking of Outof the blue.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:23   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Guys a bit urgent,
Best place to have lunch in Bandra ?
Budget for 2 - 1500. (No alco)
I was thinking of Outof the blue.
Hate that place. If you want a light snacky lunch, go to The Bagel Shop. Love that place!

For indian, you can go to moti mahal

Chinese, is China Gate.
Old 27th February 2009, 20:31   #613
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs tejas.
BTW eating only veg. Would your choices still be the same ?
Old 4th March 2009, 20:43   #614
Senior - BHPian

Been to 2 places of late which i feel is worth a mention.

Trishna: Wel this happened when my roomie got this sudden urge to eat crabs. So off we wenrt to the trishna is Andheri west opp infinty mall.
Ordered for Jumbo crab in butter garlic syrup and roti and also king prawn tandoori.
The crabs were out of the world and more than suffiecient for 3 hungry souls with a decent appetite. We had to get the prawns parcelled as we could not think of eating any more.
Budget: 1500 per person if your ordering the crabs there.
Ambience: Simple as in nothing extraordinary
Service: The waiter was busy so took time to come to you. Had to speak in the little tulu i knew to get served faster:-)
Rating: 4/5 yummy.

Maharaja resto and Bar
So this same roomie again wakes up on a sunday morning and wanted to eat Aapams. Friend called all contacts he knew to find them but to no avail. Thats when i remembered this bar where i had gone to with my bil for a beer and remembered having seen aapams there. Got their number of just dial and called them up at 10 but no reply. So waited one more hour and called them at 11 and they were open for business
Asked if aapams were available heaved a sigh of relief when they said yes and off we were to this place. This is opposite cinemax petrol bunk on andheri east and almost on the corner. Will be missed very easily as the construction of the metro has covered ity entirely.
Ordered for Surmai tawa fry and pomfret deep fry. Had a pitcher with this and ordered for Aapams, Neer dosa and Mutton Pulimiri.
The mutton was awesome and aapams were nice and hot. Didnt like the neer dosa as i prefer it with fish curry.
Rating:
Food: 2.5/5. Mutton gets a 5/5 though. awesome.
Old 4th March 2009, 21:26   #615
Senior - BHPian

Have heard alot about Maharaja bar and the food there. Sounds good. Will be trying it out soon. Whats the pinch on the pocket on this one maddy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks