Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 11:22   #631
BHPian

Thanks for the review guys. I think I will give it a skip. Was considering this place to our usual get together at HRC. Would love to try out the Aurus.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:14   #632
BHPian

Aurus is Fantastic. And its virtually a stones throw away from my place. Been there a few times but never had a proper dinner. It's usually just chilling out and a few drinks post dinner. I believe its one of the best places in Mumbai right now to unwind what with the beach view and breeze, with an amazing crowd too!

Anyone had a full dinner out there? What were the damages?
Old 25th March 2009, 01:04   #633
BHPian

mid-nite buffets for me are ones that start @ 12 and go on till 03:30 need inputs to expand out of the orchid and meridian.
Added the marine plaza thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 14:07   #634
BANNED

Anyone mentioned about road side food as well?As i use to have a lot during my struggling days in Mumbai, 20 bucks and full taste and quantity to satisfy my stomach and tongue.
1)Pav Bhaji and Pulav just before subway entry to Church Gate station.
2)Masala Dosa at Santacruz west on road hardly 200 meters from station.
3)Aloo tikki at Andheri west station.
4)Sardar jee ka Pav Bhaji at grant road.
5)Kulfi at Thane.
6)Popfret fish at Marine Lines near Mosque which devides the road.
7)Bade miyan behnd taj(not sure about present time).
8)Dhaba at Andheri Lokhandwala, Mhada(sadly its got closed in 2001 due to land dispute).
Many places are there but this old mind is not able to recall them all, need to tour Mumbai once again.
Old 25th March 2009, 14:50   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Many places are there but this old mind is not able to recall them all, need to tour Mumbai once again.
few of them from my side.
a) bhurji pav right outside cooper hospital at juhu
b) vada pav at mithibai college
c) jay sandwich at national's
d) burgers at hersch bakery bandra
e) elcho market ki paani puri
f) misal pav at some place in thane ,super spicy though
g) lassi at m m mithaiwala @ malad station(still remember the fellow used to psych you out with the mouth publicity ,'taste the thanda lassi m m ki lassi'... and you know you are in malad.
h) keema pav at yari road

missing mumbai already
Old 16th April 2009, 11:38   #636
BHPian

There used to be 3 good joints in Fort area serving the needs of the Tamil / Kerala Iyer community.

One was the Modern Hindu which has already been covered.
Second was National Hindu which is /was on the first floor of the bldg on the corner of SB marg and D'Mello road ( Mint Road ) with entrance opp City Kitchen.
Third was Mani's ( not sure of name ) opp Lalit off PM Road, Behind Citibank on DN road.

The first two were lunch an dinner only, while Mani's served South Indian snacks such as Adai, Sevai etc no easily available otherwise.

I all 3 places every day members of the community also met each other and it was also a social point of interaction.

I am using the past tense in my post since I do not frequent South Bombay anymore as I used to earlier in my working career. I am sure the 3 places mentioned are still doing good business and serving hundreds of hungry souls without any sense of drama about themselves.

Yup...you will not find any page 3 mentions of these places but let me assure you they have been 'recession friendly' for decades.

P. Venkatraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@kalpeshc: Chief, you have made my day. Checked your post around lunch time, and felt desperately hungry. Made the 1 km trek, hunted this place out.
Let me tell you, the food is truly truly awesome. The cleanliness is impeccable ! Had a great south Indian meal after a loooong time !! Thanks a ton.
By the way the place is:
Modern Hindu Hotel. 4th floor, Apeejay chambers, 5 wallace street, fort. This is the lane behind new excelsior cinema, the building is almost at the end of the lane.
Burrrrp. I'm falling asleep now.
zzzzz.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:01   #637
BHPian

Name/Location: HARISH/ IRLA Near VileParle (Formerly Deepa Bar of infamous Telgi case)

Average Cost : Depends but Rs 1600 for 4

Food: Sea Food. Really Really Good.

Service: OK

Ambience: Ground Floor (BAD)
FIRST FLOOR (OK)

Conclusion: Okay, I was nervous when a colleague suggested that this place is now converted. The owner's name is Harish. The location is still shady. I wanted to turn back at the entrance but decided to go in and check. Ground floor still looked shady. I went upstairs (AC) and was relieved to see many people were already seated with their families and children. Ordered food and a few cool beers. The food is amazing (known only for its sea food.). I tried clams, Squid , boiled rice, Surmai fish curry, shrimp and it was amazing. I heard similar comments from a nearby table where they tried Patrani Machi (Parsi stype Pomfret steamed with mint chutney) and Bombay Duck.

The food is good (better than Mahesh lunch home). You need to get over the mental block that this was formerly Deepa Dance BAr.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th April 2009 at 12:13. Reason: removed Bold, please avoid putting extar formatting unless necessary
Old 16th April 2009, 12:22   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Can anyone put up a list of very late night / all night eating places in south bombay? restuarants / roadside joints / anything.

Currently:
Sukh sagar (2am)
Bhavans (1:30am)
Ayubs (2:30am)
Bade Miya's (2:30am)
Churchgate (full night - but depends on cops)
Bombay central station area (full night)
Zaffran (late night)
5 star coffee shops ofcourse.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:48   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Can anyone put up a list of very late night / all night eating places in south bombay? restuarants / roadside joints / anything.

Currently:
Sukh sagar (2am)
Bhavans (1:30am)
Ayubs (2:30am)
Bade Miya's (2:30am)
Churchgate (full night - but depends on cops)
Bombay central station area (full night)
Zaffran (late night)
5 star coffee shops ofcourse.
Golden Crown, 1.30am?
Wong's (renamed to something else now, I think) @ Seaside Hotel - 2-3am
Bhurji Paav/ Pulao outside Cooper Hosiptal (1.30-2.30am)
Parag Juice Center, Dadar (E) - 2 am
Rajput, Shivaji Park - 4 am
Maroosh, Phoenix Mills - 1.30am
Old 16th April 2009, 14:17   #640
Senior - BHPian

Its Blue forg or its a typo? Blue Frog?
Old 16th April 2009, 15:11   #641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Name/Location: HARISH/ IRLA Near VileParle (Formerly Deepa Bar of infamous Telgi case)

Average Cost : Depends but Rs 1600 for 4

Food: Sea Food. Really Really Good.

Service: OK

Ambience: Ground Floor (BAD)
FIRST FLOOR (OK)

Conclusion: Okay, I was nervous when a colleague suggested that this place is now converted. The owner's name is Harish. The location is still shady. I wanted to turn back at the entrance but decided to go in and check. Ground floor still looked shady. I went upstairs (AC) and was relieved to see many people were already seated with their families and children. Ordered food and a few cool beers. The food is amazing (known only for its sea food.). I tried clams, Squid , boiled rice, Surmai fish curry, shrimp and it was amazing. I heard similar comments from a nearby table where they tried Patrani Machi (Parsi stype Pomfret steamed with mint chutney) and Bombay Duck.

The food is good (better than Mahesh lunch home). You need to get over the mental block that this was formerly Deepa Dance BAr.
Harish is next to Deepa dance bar,as for Deepa dance bar it is converted to Baba Ramdevji's Yoga centre here is the link Mumbai's Deepa Bar makes way for Ramdev's centre - TheIndianStar.com

P.S The food is good at Harish.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:15   #642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Its Blue forg or its a typo? Blue Frog?
It IS blue frog. No typo. Nice place.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:58   #643
BHPian

Name/Location: Purepur Kolhapur/ Vile Parle (East). This is in the lane opposite Parleshwar Mandir. They have a milestone outside the place which says Kolhapur 0 (which I think makes it a team -bhp kind of place!)

Average Cost: The taats (Marathi for thali) range from Rs. 105 to Rs. 190 for a sunday special taat. The average chicken /mutton taat is 140. So meal for two is about 300-350 which is absolute VFM.

Food: There is a general misconception that kolhapuri food is pungent (or 'hot') in reality it isnt, but it sure is spicy. These guys have chicken and mutton taats in various varieties like masala, fry, dhangari etc. Their bhakri's are awesome. Ofcourse no Kolhapuri meal is complete without pandhara rassa and tambda rassa. They have a vegetarian taat and a non-spicy kids special. The solkadi is also superb.

Service: Quick and efficient

Ambience: Would say good, veering towards functional

Conclusion: I think the only place for authentic Kolhapuri food in Mumbai (they have three outlets in Pune also). They are open only for lunch (12-3.30pm) and dinner (7-11.30 pm). (caution: timings may be slightly off)

Last edited by Volt : 17th April 2009 at 00:01.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:27   #644
Team-BHP Support

A quick mention....

Due to long waits at other restaurants nearby on the weekend - i ended up at a 'new' restaurant named "OBA" (opposite gordon house hotel, colaba).

The service crew was new, and the waiters were funny and a bit strange, but helpful and nice.

The food was great! Especially the seafood - i got red-snapper which came with some risotto - very nice. Also the prawns were HUUUGE and delicious.

A bit pricey though - for 3 people : 2 appetizers (+complimentary awesome bread basket) + 3 main courses + 2 mocktails = Rs. 2,8xx/- if i remember correct.

Downstairs is a bar and lounge and upstairs is the dining area. Worth giving it a shot if you're looking for a new place and some tasty fisheys.

cya
R
Old 17th April 2009, 09:49   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Golden Crown, 1.30am?
Wong's (renamed to something else now, I think) @ Seaside Hotel - 2-3am
Bhurji Paav/ Pulao outside Cooper Hosiptal (1.30-2.30am)
Parag Juice Center, Dadar (E) - 2 am
Rajput, Shivaji Park - 4 am
Maroosh, Phoenix Mills - 1.30am
If you mean Wong's (next to sun n sand ) its open till 5am now food and alco both available.
Kursheets at cooper is open till 4am.
Bhagwati Rest. - Kandivali West - open till 5am. but till 2am its filled with families and kids!
Dhuaan - Yaari road is open till 5am.
Then we have Balaji @ airport.
Apna Dhaba at andheri East(andheri kurla road) - open till morning. serves food and alco.
Trisha/kancha on link road@ oshiwara are open till 3-3.30am (bars)
Paan waala - Suryavanshi @ sunder nagar Malad - Sv road. is open till 1am. try their choc. mitha paan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks