Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 12:31   #646
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys this is slightly urgent. Its my girlfriend's birthday on Sunday. So want to go for a midnight buffet. Tomorrow night. can you'll suggest something that does a good spread. 5 stars totally welcome:-)

Last edited by frankmehta : 17th April 2009 at 12:32.
Old 17th April 2009, 15:12   #647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Is blue frog owned by Rahul Akerkar?
No he only handles the kitchen. I was there the other day too on thursday and they have upped the charges to Rs. 500/- As usual the music was too too loud and horrible. Some kind of weird fusion. Its too too overrated

Quote:
I've never been to Aurus because I always thought it was more geared towards chilling out over a drink than an actual meal but now that you mentioned it, I'm definitly heading there when I'm back. Anyhing in particular that I should try?
You should go there for the food mainly and then do so on a week day or you will have the experience ive had. Its open till wee hours but the last food rders are around 11ish.
We tried the Porccini mushroom soup, veg ravioli, grilled salmon and the old favurite pepper steak. All top quality in taste and presentation.
. Then there is a Lindt chocolate desert thats suposed to be a killer. I didnt try it as i was off sweets during the time. My friend's wife went bonkers over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
Aurus.......
Anyone had a full dinner out there? What were the damages?
I have and i loved it. Go there for the food. Priced between Rs: 350-500 for a veg main course and Rs: 450-700 for a non veg main course. Good portions too. I think thats reasonable for the quality of food they serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Can anyone put up a list of very late night / all night eating places in south bombay? restuarants / roadside joints / anything.

Currently:
Sukh sagar (2am)
Bhavans (1:30am)
Ayubs (2:30am)
Bade Miya's (2:30am)
Churchgate (full night - but depends on cops)
Bombay central station area (full night)
Zaffran (late night)
5 star coffee shops ofcourse.
Timings have changed;

sukh sagar - 1.30 max
Ayubs - 3.00 ish
Bade Miyan - 2.30 ish
Zaffran - 2.30 sih
Gabbar Bhurgee Pav - Below Wadala brigde on main char Rasta, Wadala - 3.30ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Due to long waits at other restaurants nearby on the weekend - i ended up at a 'new' restaurant named "OBA" (opposite gordon house hotel, colaba).

The service crew was new, and the waiters were funny and a bit strange, but helpful and nice.

The food was great! Especially the seafood - i got red-snapper which came with some risotto - very nice. Also the prawns were HUUUGE and delicious.

A bit pricey though - for 3 people : 2 appetizers (+complimentary awesome bread basket) + 3 main courses + 2 mocktails = Rs. 2,8xx/- if i remember correct.

Downstairs is a bar and lounge and upstairs is the dining area. Worth giving it a shot if you're looking for a new place and some tasty fisheys.

cya
R
Its the new lounge started by Raja Dhody at the Apollo restaurant. What surprises me is that this Saturday, it was on till 3.00 with music blaring on the roads, despite the fact that Henry Tham's right down the lane was ordered to be shut by cops standing out on the roads at 1.30

Poly Esther's was on too but half their regular crowd was in OBA. I will try it soon and report back here.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:55   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Ok guys this is slightly urgent. Its my girlfriend's birthday on Sunday. So want to go for a midnight buffet. Tomorrow night. can you'll suggest something that does a good spread. 5 stars totally welcome:-)
Been some time since I went out for midnight buffets but The Orchid, Vile Parle is very nice.
Old 18th April 2009, 01:52   #649
Senior - BHPian

@V-16

isnt Zaffran open till 4 am ?

rev
Old 14th May 2009, 15:15   #650
Senior - BHPian

There are apparently 3 new places opened up in Powai. A Chinese place, another coffee house and a bar. I don't expect much from any of these places but something is better than nothing I guess. In other news Pizzeria is on the verge of closing down which means no more ordering pizza home anymore.

I remember reading that HQ and Cafe Royal have reopened(again) and Cafe Royal is now back to being Cafe Royal after changing to Cinnamon. The famous painting on the wall is back to and this time with Bollywood characters. I don't know how much of this is true but remember reading about it.

Any other updates? Did the new Indigo finally open up?
Old 14th May 2009, 17:23   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are apparently 3 new places opened up in Powai. A Chinese place,
Thats Mainland China

Quote:
another coffee house
That should be the Colombian Coffee bar or something - not worth going there at all.

Quote:
and a bar.
Is it in the shopping complex opposite Pizza Hut ? If yes - it is nothing worth talking about.
Old 14th May 2009, 18:09   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Thats Mainland China

That should be the Colombian Coffee bar or something - not worth going there at all.

Is it in the shopping complex opposite Pizza Hut ? If yes - it is nothing worth talking about.
Nope, theres another Chinese place called Sesame opened opposite Odyssey II. It's in JMJ House,the same building that Fitness One is located. CU, the bar is in the same building. These two places are owned by the same people who own Kasbah, the sheesha lounge in Powai Plaza, the building opposite Pizza Hut.

Powai Plaza has a bunch of eateries opened up but I'd prefer to avoid them unless someone recommends the food.

The coffee bar that I was talking about is called Aromas. I'm not quite sure what it is though, some people say it serves Italian Food and some say it's just a coffee house.

Cafe Columbia is pretty rubbish and because of that(and the fact that it's located in the worst possible place) it's pretty empty. Mocha and Cafe Coffee Day are always jam packed and that gets to be a headache at times.

Last edited by khanak : 14th May 2009 at 18:17.
Old 14th May 2009, 18:46   #653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, theres another Chinese place called Sesame opened opposite Odyssey II. It's in JMJ House,the same building that Fitness One is located. CU, the bar is in the same building. These two places are owned by the same people who own Kasbah, the sheesha lounge in Powai Plaza, the building opposite Pizza Hut.
IIRC they also have a stake in Saffron Spice and Clove, the tiny lounge next door.
Old 14th May 2009, 21:07   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to the newly done up HQs at Colaba a week ago. Seems to be a smaller version of Geoffrey's with huge center bar. Prices are quite reasonable. Food takes a lot of time to come though... slow service. Couldn't eat since, after 45mins, we cancelled the order and settled the bill and went to ayub's. Apparently they open from early afternoon.
They will first say they do not take credit/debit cards and if you insist then they will go down to royal cafe and swipe the card. Weird and takes time too!
No cover / entry criteria.
Music is a mix of retro and late 90's to early 2000s. They alternate tracks between pop and rock after every song. Although song selection is nice, it's very funny to hear november rain then madonna then sweet child of mine then backstreet boys then scorpions...!
Old 15th May 2009, 15:50   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
@V-16
isnt Zaffran open till 4 am ?
rev
Its officially open till 3.am and then you get an hour or so to finish the food, legally that is. So it would i guess, be ok to say its open till 4 am.

Unfortunately the crackdown of the police has taken away a lot of night spots from Mumbai.

Zaffran, of recent has lost its taste. They have started boiling their meat and adding gravy to it and serving it when the order is placed which makes it convenient but not tasty.

Meat tastes best when its cooked on the gravy itself. You cant get the favour in the meat if the gravy is prepared separately and added to boiled meat later.
Old 17th May 2009, 01:26   #656
BHPian

Just back from a mid nite buffet @ The Mirador. Andheri (E). A decent and quick meal, Ambeince could have been more lively, but I guess its how the owners want it. Timings: 11:45 till 01:00.
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:36   #657
BHPian

Guys, recently been to this Dhaba opposite to HDFC main branch at Lokhandwala's. The food was superb, priced well but the place can be a bit congested but the food compensates for the same..should recomend a try.
Old 29th May 2009, 23:43   #658
Senior - BHPian

Paani Puri Mania

Can anyone enlighten this forum on the best Paani - Puri available in Mumbai ?
My vote (so far) goes to the guy who stands outside the Royal Enfield showroom off Linking road, Bandra.
Old 30th May 2009, 08:11   #659
BHPian

Barbecue Nation is pretty good - Rs. 563 Inclusive of taxes, unlimited food ( Only Buffet System ) with around 10 Starters, 5 Veg, 5 Non veg - Again Unlimited. Makes for quite a spread. The Ambiance is quite good too. I pretty much liked it. They got a pretty decent spread of dessert to boot. lol. Quite a sensible choice. However the price does not cover drinks of any sort except water.
Old 30th May 2009, 11:33   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Can anyone enlighten this forum on the best Paani - Puri available in Mumbai ?
Try Jhama's if you haven't already. They have two outlets in Chembur and one in Nerul. Not sure if there are any in the suburbs.

Had dinner at Moti Mahal, CBD Belapur. Food is very HEAVY! Ended up with a uncomfortable stomach the next day. Luckily it wasn't a major problem. Food isn't spicy so I don't know what went wrong.

Most Viewed