Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 14:18   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Any one know where the best Chicken burgers are available in town ?
Try Sundance cafe at churchgate.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:23   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Any one know where the best Chicken burgers are available in town? The ground meat variety?
Can't speak for the five-stars, but when it comes to affordable (~100 rupees) burgers, I've found Bembos to be decent. This is a Peruvian franchisee that has an outlet in Bandra (on SV Road near the National College bus stop). Service tends to be a bit slow, but the burgers are tastier than McDonalds'. It also offers mutton burgers (which McD discontinued long ago).

Another place worth checking out would be Gostana, just off Pali Mala Road, again in Bandra (W). A chicken burger costs around Rs 120 and is pretty good. They claim to offer healthy whole-wheat and multigrain options in bread. The place is WiFi-enabled, so you can chill out in the evenings.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:33   #723
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprizingly no one has mentioned Tote's in this thread.

It's a new place run by indigo opened at the Racecourse. Has a bar and restaurant and is perpetually packed. Make sure you reach before 1030 otherwise entry becomes a problem and you will have to wait in a long queue. No cover charge or stag issue. Music is lounge.
Old 17th November 2009, 19:05   #724
BHPian

No Mughlai cuisine in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Moderators,

Request permission to start this thread in shifting gears.

I would love to get inputs from Bombay residents on interesting restaurants, eateries, takeaways and so on offering authentic ( the accent is on the authentic) Mughlai cuisine in Bombay and its suburbs. There is a difference between Mughlai and Punjabi cuisine and I request bhpians to specify which cuisine they are alluding to.

I will use this thread to discuss and find
1. Mughlai cuisine restaurants
2. Lucknawi (Awadhi) cuisine restaurants
3. Delhi's vegetarian ( aka, the cuisine of the Baniya community of Old Delhi, as exemplified by the eateries of Old Delhi, including Parathe Wali Gali) cuisine restaurants
4. Punjabi cuisine ( please include tandoori dishes here, ref. Daryaganj's Moti Mahal) restaurants

If there are respondents from Rajasthan and Kashmir, we can also consider Rajasthani and Kashmiri (both the cuisine of the Pandit community and that of the Muslims), respectively.

Please note that these community identifiers are meant only to identify/classify cuisine types and no disrespect/bias in intended. These cuisine types are referred to by these terms in various books by cooking experts, including that penned by cartoonist Sudhir Dar.

I have mostly drawn a blank when I have gone seeking authentic Mughlai or Lucknawi cuisine, in Bombay. For the former, one has Khyber in Kala Ghoda and in Khar, Shalimar in Mohammad Ali Road and perhaps the restaurants in the ITC branded hotels ( viz. Peshawari) can be considered.

But the experience in general has been, well, dismal.

Request inputs on worthy eateries please...
Regards
Judging by the lack of inputs, I think Mumbai is a desert when it comes to Mughlai food

Sigh! Will have to organise a road trip to Lucknow and Delhi for authentic Mughlai cuisine.
And to Indore and Agra for chaat.
And to Calcutta for Bengali cuisine.

Last edited by issigonis : 17th November 2009 at 19:06.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:08   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Try Sundance cafe at churchgate.
Hi Tejas,

Had that, (passed out of HR) not even a patch on the Intercontinental one. Try the Intercontinental @ Sahar called the Lalit, the coffee shop is where you get this heavenly food.

I remember there used to be a fast food outlet next to Asiatic (if you stand facing asiatic it used to be on your right hand side) called Open House (gazebo chain) or something like that. They used to give some yum burgers - Veg at that time, had not begun eating non veg. But the taste lingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Can't speak for the five-stars, but when it comes to affordable (~100 rupees) burgers, I've found Bembos to be decent. This is a Peruvian franchisee that has an outlet in Bandra (on SV Road near the National College bus stop). Service tends to be a bit slow, but the burgers are tastier than McDonalds'. It also offers mutton burgers (which McD discontinued long ago).

Another place worth checking out would be Gostana, just off Pali Mala Road, again in Bandra (W). A chicken burger costs around Rs 120 and is pretty good. They claim to offer healthy whole-wheat and multigrain options in bread. The place is WiFi-enabled, so you can chill out in the evenings.
Ate at Bembos, you need to realise any food which has passed a processing chain or has been through a series of processes and not prepared before serving but days in advance will never ever taste great.

The burger at the lalit- Sahar was like made upon order, minced chicken cooked before serving. Bakery provides the buns which are made in the night.

Gostana - they incubated here in Powai - Galleria, know both partners, pretty good people and they know their food, yet no manna. They had to move out because their staff ran away.

Gogi - Yes that same Radisson Chain place - The Great Kabab Factory is opening today or tomorrow. How long does it train staff ?

Last edited by mmmjgm : 18th November 2009 at 08:25.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:09   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Try the Intercontinental @ Sahar called the Lalit, the coffee shop is where you get this heavenly food ... Ate at Bembos, you need to realise any food which has passed a processing chain or has been through a series of processes and not prepared before serving but days in advance will never ever taste great.
Unfortunately, few of us can afford to pay Rs 500+ for a burger. So when the craving hits it's old McDonald or Bembos for the likes of us. :(
Old 18th November 2009, 18:19   #727
BHPian

Hey Edsel,

Good food need not be expensive food.

My point was that the processed/cold chain foods do loose out a bit on taste.

Again, the Bembos or McD's or KFC burger won't hold it simply because they are some other type of a burger.
Try this at home, get shredded chicken, (meat has to be consistent) then spice it, marinade it with some seasoning. Then shape like a nice steak patty and grill it. Be careful so as to not to over cook it, make sure the juices are set inside. Rather sear the patty top and bottom so that the juices and flavour are locked in.

Grill the insides of the bun as well, rather surface toast them, get some great slaw, some really crisp-on-the-outside-soft-on-the-inside potato chips/french fries, (you get the frozen ready to fry ones at super markets all over town) and have a go.

Do have a couple of sides of pickled gherkin with a couple of jalapeno slices on the side. Possibly add a couple of capers, olives and you are set !

My handicap is that we have a veg kitchen, can't do all that at home.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 18th November 2009 at 18:23.
Old 24th November 2009, 11:05   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Good food need not be expensive food. Try this at home, get shredded chicken...
I have no problems bringing meat into my kitchen but the problem is that the whole process sounds rather elaborate. Not possible when I'm pressed for time and crave a quick tasty bite. Besides, I'll need to have a lot of fresh ingredients at hand. I don't even know what capers are, though I dare say it's a fancy name for something I'm familiar with. (I recall being confused by "cilantro" till someone told me it's nothing but good old coriander.)

Anyway, your recipe sounds delicious -- it should be a good project for a lazy Sunday brunch.
Old 24th November 2009, 21:46   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Surprizingly no one has mentioned Tote's in this thread. Music is lounge.
Very nicely done-up place. Never had anything elaborate to eat there . Just some starters etc., which are very very small portions. The liquid refreshments are quite reasonably priced (as compared to most other popular nightclubs). Since I've mostly been there on weekends, the place is pounding out house music. Since the speakers are playing out of the roof, you can't speak to anybody if you're on the upper level.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:10   #730
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can't speak for the five-stars, but when it comes to affordable (~100 rupees) burgers, I've found Bembos to be decent.
Quote:
Unfortunately, few of us can afford to pay Rs 500+ for a burger. So when the craving hits it's old McDonald or Bembos for the likes of us. :(
I'm a HUGE burger guy (though veggie only ) and very particular about the way its made. The best burgers you can eat in Bombay are at Hard Rock cafe. The place isn't cheap, but isn't too expensive either (IIRC, 250 - 300 for a veg burger). Perfectly cooked and just the right sauces.

Also, if you are open to cooking yourself, prepare burgers yourself. That's the real deal. We frequently have barbeques on our terrace and I'm known as "burger king" within the circle . A little trial & error with the various condiments & burn rate (I like 'em well done), and you have your burger just the way you like it.
Old 27th November 2009, 00:19   #731
BHPian

Mallu food in Goregaon (West)

I was near Goregaon Bus Depot on Link Road late in the evening when I thought I'd drop into Kong Poush, a Kashmiri restaurant. As soon as I took the turnoff from Link Road I saw "Backwater", a tiny eatery that claimed to offer cuisine from God's Own Country. I shelved KongPoush for another day and promptly went in. Though the place is small (5-6 tables), it's spotlessly clean and fairly well-appointed. And yes, it serves all the south-Indian food that I've been missing for a while -- both veg and nonveg. Apart from dosas and other snacks, there's chicken stew, karimeen fry, mutton pepper, appam, porotta... the works. I opted for the fish curry with boiled red rice, and a karimeen pollichathu on the side. Terrific if you can tolerate the spice levels. Even the buttermilk was spicy. Had a jaggery-based concoction called ada pradaman(?) for dessert. Prices are reasonable, and service was prompt. Highly recommended!
Old 5th December 2009, 15:05   #732
BHPian

Okay, Mad over donuts has opened at Hiranandani Powai today, it is next to Papa Johns Pizza outlet at Hiranandani Powai, Citiplaza - below Yellow Chilli and Mainland china.

Hope to review it this weekend.

Cheers
Old 19th December 2009, 01:26   #733
BHPian

Best place for Tandoor and Kebab guys? Had it at Bademiyas and Jai Jawan
Old 21st December 2009, 13:05   #734
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Banana Leaf! The quality of food will blow your mind away. Just had lunch out there yesterday. Due to unfamiliarity with south Indian food (except for idlis and dosas), we simply ordered for the thali. I don't know what vegetable / curry was what, but the unique south-indian taste will have you licking your fingers. Great variety and quantity (I couldn't finish the thali). Ask for 1 puri, you'll get 4.

Not so good : wait period. We reached at 1430 and there was a 30 minute wait. Luckily, I had some work in the area and went and finished it off. Else, I wouldn't have chosen to wait.

Price : Cheap. 225 bucks for a Thali.

Location : At Lokhandwala. I believe they've opened up at Ghatkopar too.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:00   #735
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
For the ones who work for a living and do not have a driver , Sandeep on Panch Raasta Mulund serves .. the best "Kane" I have ever tried.

A word of caution Sandeep is a well known watering hole for those who have a drinking problem.

Cheers!!
Is Sandeep decent enough to go with family? And what is "Kane"?
I am looking for non-veg places in Mulund - ambience isn't very important - restaurant
should be clean, hygenic & safe - that's all.

Last edited by carboy : 29th December 2009 at 12:02.

Most Viewed