Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 12:40   #736
Senior - BHPian

what about south indian cuisines? please tell some good hangouts for these too.
Old 29th December 2009, 21:36   #737
BHPian

sandeeo is not decent to go wid a lady. Go to vishwa samrat,Amantran, Urban tadka in mulund.
Old 30th December 2009, 00:38   #738
BHPian

Latest is that The Intercontinental Lalit has killed the grilled burger.

They now give a fried breast of chicken in a bun. Man if i had to have that i would go to mcd's or KFC.

Sigh. Entire Bombay is falling prey to this malaise of prepared (processed) food.

It hurts and is a yearning feeling to get old. Okay enough of rant. the "kombdi wade" and sol kadhi at Vijay's place at Dadar, near ICICI Branch dadar, has yet maintained standards since 1999 (the first time I went there). Awesome stuff.

Somethings in life remain the same.

Edit, the Great Kabab Factory and Chillies (Chilly's) are now live and on at Powai Hiranandani.

Last edited by mmmjgm : 30th December 2009 at 00:41.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:36   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is Sandeep decent enough to go with family? And what is "Kane"?
I am looking for non-veg places in Mulund - ambience isn't very important - restaurant
should be clean, hygenic & safe - that's all.
Carboy Sandeep is decent enough to go with family provided you take the family room and there is a side entrance for it so no need to go through the main entrance.The food is good have tried mainly Mangalorean food over there not sure about North Indian food.As regarding Kane(Lady fish) it is a freshwater fish mainly found in South Canara and Udupi district(karnataka) in India.

Last edited by yogi1771 : 30th December 2009 at 12:43.
Old 27th January 2010, 20:33   #740
BHPian

I went on Republic Day to Sea View hotel in Juhu. I am guessing it must be familiar to those who are originally from Bombay considering that it has been around forever. It is just behind the Juhu bus depot (when you are coming bandra side this is just before juhu beach). The restaurant is on the beach; this is the closest to a goa shack experience i have had in Bombay (Vie Lounge and Aurus are at a different price point altogether). Very relaxed atmosphere, the waiter's allow you to smoke at your seat. It helped that the place was empty since it was a dry day, apparently on other days it gets packed.

we ordered a prawns manchurian (to go with the beer, till we realised that it was a dry day), butter chicken and butter naan. All this butter made the food very tasty. Ended up drinking coke, fresh lime soda and coffee for 3 hours more till sun set. Also most flight departures from bombay fly right over this hotel into the sea, so there is something to look upwards every five min.

Anyways this is going to be my sunday beer and brunch place for the next few sundays at least.

The bill came to Rs. 700. (1 starter, 1 chicken curry, 2 butter naans, three cokes, 2 coffees, and 1 fresh lime.).

Hope more people also go and enjoy this place.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:55   #741
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys the resident foodie is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Surprizingly no one has mentioned Tote's in this thread.Has a bar and restaurant and is perpetually packed.
The problem with Tote is that its ridiculously overpriced and if you compare the food to Indigo, it really sucks. Yes the bar is good (overpriced too and almost always full....now only on weekends mostly

Quote:
Make sure you reach before 1030 otherwise entry becomes a problem and you will have to wait in a long queue. No cover charge or stag issue. Music is lounge.
You will be surprised. After 10:30 ish or so, they will allow only persons who have a table in there. Though i wonder how they would keep a tab of that, even if your wife, brother, best friend, family member strays in after 10:30 and God forbid, if you are like me, who loves to hang out on the bar counter as against taking a table and endlessly waiting for service in a crowded place, they will not be allowed even if you have been drinking yourself silly from 6:00pm. It has happened to us and at least 20 other persons whom i know so now we just go t Olives instead. I mean pay a packet and then get attitude from some half wit at the gate who gets pleasure in not letting your friends in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Anyone here can guide me to the BEST 'authentic' Lassi in Mumbai????
What is Authentic Lassi?
Lassi is different in Maharashtra, Punjab and Gujrat.
If by Authentic you mean the whopper of a glass with a dollop of fresh MAlai on top, go to Ghasitaram's at Lamington road or Himalaya, diagonally opposite to Shanmukhanada hall in Matunga. They serve a mean huge glass but be sure to mention that you need the lassi thinned down. I hate the type where the spoon stands upright in your lassi or where they sprinkle rose water or rose syrup on your lassi, a la KAilash Parbat or Guru Kripa at Sio...Yuck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Where can i get the best Dabeli/Kothimbir Wadi in BBY, planning a trip over this weekend, inputs would really help.

Pardon me in case its already put up, i've jus started to read this thread
Great Kothimbir vadi place pointed out by Superselect. How he forgot Prakash just next to the Shiv Sena Bhavan at Shivaji PArk. Awesome Thalipeeth, Kothimbir wadi and Dalimbi usal there. Must try.

REgarding the Dhabeli, try the ones available opposite MAtunga Vegetable market at Matunga (e) station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Judging by the lack of inputs, I think Mumbai is a desert when it comes to Mughlai food

Sigh! Will have to organise a road trip to Lucknow and Delhi for authentic Mughlai cuisine.
And to Indore and Agra for chaat.
And to Calcutta for Bengali cuisine.
On the contrary my friend.
A plethora of places to visit in mumbai for Moghlai food. Delhi Darbar tops the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Gogi - Yes that same Radisson Chain place - The Great Kabab Factory is opening today or tomorrow. How long does it train staff ?
These outlets have some stupid training perid and when they are not ready, push the blame o training. What a load of crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm a HUGE burger guy (though veggie only ) and very particular about the way its made. The best burgers you can eat in Bombay are at Hard Rock cafe. The place isn't cheap, but isn't too expensive either (IIRC, 250 - 300 for a veg burger). Perfectly cooked and just the right sauces.

Also, if you are open to cooking yourself, prepare burgers yourself. That's the real deal. We frequently have barbeques on our terrace and I'm known as "burger king" within the circle . A little trial & error with the various condiments & burn rate (I like 'em well done), and you have your burger just the way you like it.
I will second that. The burgers at Hard Rock are amongst the best ive eaten, but ive tried only their beef burgers. Im sure their veggies are grea too. Hey Rush, i make a mean veg burger. Believe it or not guys, when im home and cooking, i lean towards the veg burger, somehow i find it tastier than the meat but when im out ill never try it as i noly trust the ones i make....Try me veggies!!

Hard rock also serves the best baked cheese cake ive had in India...yes i mean it, try it its a huge portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Best place for Tandoor and Kebab guys? Had it at Bademiyas and Jai Jawan
Both these would not even feature at the bottom of my list for Tandoori food. You have been directed wrongly my friend.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:22   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Originally Posted by prateekm
>>Best place for Tandoor and Kebab guys? Had it at Bademiyas and Jai Jawan

Both these would not even feature at the bottom of my list for Tandoori food. You have been directed wrongly my friend.
Bade Miya's is actually quite sad and rubbery kebabs. Their Baida Roti is the only thing i like.

For kebabs, I bow my head in humble awe to the venerable V-16 for pointing me to Qureshi's in the lane behind Sadanand opposite crawford market.

Took 3 trips before I managed to grab some (if you are late he is sold out!)
Sheek Kebabs that melt in your mouth, along with some delicate mint chutney to soothe the palate.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:40   #743
Team-BHP Support

and no one cares to post a pic
Food Photography if you call it,
please oblige
Old 28th January 2010, 05:34   #744
Senior - BHPian

I think I should start a best buffets and garlic bread thread altogether. Or we could have a places to definitely check out top 10 list or something? I am so over Nandos
Old 28th January 2010, 14:46   #745
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
what about south indian cuisines? please tell some good hangouts for these too.
Two options : South Indian joints in Matunga (Madras Cafe, Sharda Bhavan). Cheap & quick.

Want something more upmarket, go to Banana Leaf in the versova / seven bungalows area. Will blow your mind away. Order for the Thali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The problem with Tote is that its ridiculously overpriced and if you compare the food to Indigo, it really sucks.
Ridiculously overpriced and over hyped. Better food + ambience right next door at Olive.

Quote:
Hey Rush, i make a mean veg burger. Believe it or not guys, when im home and cooking, i lean towards the veg burger, somehow i find it tastier than the meat but when im out ill never try it as i noly trust the ones i make....Try me veggies!!
Best burgers are always made at home, Gogi. And the experience of making them adds to the taste.

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2010 at 14:51.
Old 28th January 2010, 14:55   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to TGIF a couple of days ago with Rehaan and spawnofsatan.
Please stay away. Horrible food (burgers, steaks, ribs) and pricey.

As far as Tote's is concerned, yes entry is an issue and Olive's serves good Italian food. BUT, just try the punjabi fare at Tote's... It's awesome!

And talking about overpriced joints, i don't think any place can beat AER bar in that regard. Extremely overpriced, but i recommend everyone should go there atleast once for the ambience and order a ridiculously overpriced (and cheapest on the menu) fresh lime if nothing else.
Old 29th January 2010, 09:21   #747
Team-BHP Support

Any recommendation for a Veg restaurant in south bombay? I wish to take a bunch of relatives out for dinner and they are vegetarians. Good food, ambiance and parking are a must.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:19   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Any recommendation for a Veg restaurant in south bombay? I wish to take a bunch of relatives out for dinner and they are vegetarians. Good food, ambiance and parking are a must.
You gotta be a little more specific. All restaurants serve veg. Or are you looking for restaurants that serve only veg? That limits your options.

Also, what kind of veg cuisine are you looking for?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 29th January 2010 at 10:20. Reason: typos
Old 29th January 2010, 15:38   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
'SUN' for north indian and 'Swati' for gujarati. Take a Meru so no parking problems.
Old 29th January 2010, 16:03   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Other Veg only restaurants in south bombay include Status, Sun, Relish and Samrat.
South Indian fare is at Sukh Sagar, Santosh Sagar & Shiv Sagar. (no ambience)
Pav Bhaji: Sardar's (no ambience)

Most Viewed