Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 17:15   #751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Other Veg only restaurants in south bombay include Status, Sun, Relish and Samrat.
South Indian fare is at Sukh Sagar, Santosh Sagar & Shiv Sagar. (no ambience)
Pav Bhaji: Sardar's (no ambience)
For that matter even 'Thackers' is good.
Old 29th January 2010, 19:49   #752
Senior - BHPian

Kiran try Bellagio, situated right opposite the old customs house next to the string of ceramic shops.

Excellent, pure vegetarian fare, Continental only though. Nice menu and a lot to choose in the drinks department too. Ground plus first seating, a very cosy place and good value. Gives you a feeling of a nice small trattoria.

Ive been there three times in the past. Ample parking available but after nine pm as there is a plethora of traffic before that. Also not so crowded (surprisingly). A nice dessert counter to choose from where i have had one of the best "Molten Chocolate" i have ever eaten and guess what....it was even eggless. When i recommended to my wife that we go there the third time, she almost thought i was turning vegetarian

Veggies, try it. Great food. Will remind you of Moshe's...not surprisingly so as its being looked after by the Ex manager of Moshe's.

Bon Appetite!!

Last edited by V-16 : 29th January 2010 at 19:50.
Old 30th January 2010, 12:22   #753
BHPian

Had dinner at Punjab Grill last night. It is in the Palladium Mall (Phoenix Mills).
Overall impressed by very good food and service with some dishes outstanding:

The Amritsari Macchi, and Gucchi (Kashmiri Mushroom) Pulao were outstanding.

There was a gilawati kebab (Veg!) which I laughed at when my friend ordered it but was outstanding. Interestingly it was made of Zucchini and Yam

The Ran was good and so were the tandoori prawns.

Murgh Malai Tikka and Murgh Shorba were okay.

Prices were in the 350(appetizers)-550/600 (Main course) range with generous portions.

They have a good veg selection also. (We just did not try most of it )

Only drawback, bartender dont know nothing about cocktails (the gimlet was bad) and they also did not have tonic water for a G&T.

In summary I would highly recommend checking it out!
Old 30th January 2010, 14:49   #754
BHPian

Welcome Back GogiJi.

Now that you have mentioned that you make excellent veg burgers at home, Can I please have the recipe?????

I love to make them at home and they do turn out good but then would surely like to know how you make it.

Mansi
Old 31st January 2010, 21:33   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Kiran try Bellagio, situated right opposite the old customs house next to the string of ceramic shops.
A nice dessert counter to choose from where i have had one of the best "Molten Chocolate" i have ever eaten and guess what....it was even eggless.
Wow, Bellagio's right near my office, and I've never been there. Thanks a ton Gogi !
Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Now that you have mentioned that you make excellent veg burgers at home, Can I please have the recipe?????
Mansi
Yummmm ! Hey d'you take orders Gogi sir ??
Old 31st January 2010, 22:19   #756
BHPian

Is there a list for the conventional mumbai fastfood.? The vadapav is my absolutely favorite.!
It may not to everybody's hygiene, but boy i love that stuff.

Vadapav @ Flora-fountain churchgate, and if you feel thirsty, the sugarcane juice opposit to it is absolute quencher. I always make it point to visit him if i am closeby

Vada : Lalbaug's ladoo samrat serves absoultely good mouth watering vadas with chutney.

Bhel's : Vithal Bhel in Fort mumbai; you may find all varities of bhel's in there.Loved the chinese bhel when it was just came into being in India like 3-4 years ago.

Pani Puri : Always go to trusted source; MM Mithaiwala in suburbs is the one i prefer.

Lassi : I love the MM Ki lassi, and their masala dryfruit milk is one of my favorites; with loads of dryfruit in it.

Let me know any other joints/corners where you prefer to eat.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:55   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Welcome Back GogiJi.

I love to make them at home and they do turn out good but then would surely like to know how you make it.
Mansi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow, Bellagio's right near my office, and I've never been there. Thanks a ton Gogi !
Yummmm ! Hey d'you take orders Gogi sir ??
Thanks Manasi.

Guys heres a little secret for the veggie burgers, the veg. patty.

Hop by to the nearest supermarket and get a pack of Mcainn's frozen Veg burgers. Heat Oil and deep fry for at least 2 mins in medium heat.

Take a fresh burger bun from any bakery (avoid using the high ones, get the flatter type) and slice into half (lengthwise)

Line the bottom half with veg mayo and chopped iceberg lettuce. Another choice is Aragula or rocket leaves touched with a drop or two of balsamic vinegar and olive oil (not too much, just a drop or two of each) and spinkle a little feta cheese on this

Put the veg patty on that

Another teaspoon of veg mayo

Assemble and eat!! Bon Appetite.

Optional add ons:

Caramelized onion slices ( very simple, heat a touch of olive oil/butter in a pan, drop in a pinch or two of sugar and throw in the onions till they are nice and brown.) These you may dd on the patty

Cheese slice (replace feta cheese by any readily available cheese slices but please not Amul.

Grainy Mustard: Available easily in all supermarkets. Get a teaspoon out and add a few drops of honey to it. This can be put on the bun

Im loving it already. The patty is crisp and simply delicious. Dont go adding useless stuff in a burger like raw sliced onions or tomato slices. Will only mush up your burger.

Lets call it the McGogi Garden Burger!!

Enjoy..Bon Appetite.
Old 1st February 2010, 09:14   #758
BHPian

hey manoli
totally agree with you as regards to Sea View, this was our most favourite joint for celebrating birthday's in good old college days. As you said teh hotle is been around for quite a long time. Do they still have the big big great dane dog Sheru, remeber his simple sight was enough to sober down many of the totally drunk. I guess this was teh hotel owners idea of ensuring road safety.
the hotel used to be open for quite late in teh night. can't say much about food but ambience and strategic location is worth trying out
regards
Old 1st February 2010, 09:29   #759
BHPian

Hi dippy & moralfiber
IF you guys relish konkan food (not malwani) that is typical of goan costal maharshtrian food then you should definately try " highway gomantak" at barndra east. Its just on the service road opposite "Prakashgad" (MSEB Office) or bandra court on highway east. exactly where teh bridge starts off and the road takes right turn for bandra west and teh road continues towards dharavi below teh bridge. just near "MHADA" office building.
recommended dishes " fried bombil" also asks for the days special.
this is the only place where i get what i look for as authentic marathi goan food.
they put various vegetable like lady finger, green mango, raddish in fish curry, which is exclusively goan marathi food.
try it out am sure you will love it.
regards
Old 1st February 2010, 10:03   #760
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Went to TGIF a couple of days ago with Rehaan and spawnofsatan.
Please stay away. Horrible food (burgers, steaks, ribs) and pricey.
I regret not taking heed to this advice. Ended up at the TGIF on saturday night as the gang was already there.

The absolute WORST food I've eaten in a long time. Humus was wattery, pita bread was rock hard, fried mozarella was hard rubber and the Nachos were soggy. Surprising as my experience at TGIF in other parts of the world has been A+. Also, the place was rather empty so it wasn't like they had their hands too full to serve good food either.

The only good thing about TGIF was the automotive memorabilia they had pinned to the wall (Ford logos, Dale Earnhardt, genuine no parking signs, number plates etc.). But if you want to eat good American grub, the Hard Rock Cafe is an infinitely better choice. Same pricing too!
Old 1st February 2010, 13:21   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I regret not taking heed to this advice. Ended up at the TGIF on saturday night as the gang was already there.

The absolute WORST food I've eaten in a long time. Humus was wattery, pita bread was rock hard, fried mozarella was hard rubber and the Nachos were soggy. Surprising as my experience at TGIF in other parts of the world has been A+. Also, the place was rather empty so it wasn't like they had their hands too full to serve good food either.

The only good thing about TGIF was the automotive memorabilia they had pinned to the wall (Ford logos, Dale Earnhardt, genuine no parking signs, number plates etc.). But if you want to eat good American grub, the Hard Rock Cafe is an infinitely better choice. Same pricing too!
Guess what 2 weeks back, we were having an office farewell, and could only manage to find a place at TGIF. Having seen TGIFs in Bangalore and Delhi which were quite decent, we went in expecting something decent. Hell, Ruby Tuesday and Hard Rock beat this place hands down. The drinks were tasteless, and the food (other than the non-veg platter) were quite random.

Even the music was insipid. Am never going back.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:23   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
As soon as I took the turnoff from Link Road I saw "Backwater", a tiny eatery that claimed to offer cuisine from God's Own Country. Highly recommended!
I saw this place on the weekend and decided to check it out. Not a mallu but am a fan of mallu food. But i found it below par. I had chicken varatharacha (?) and it was too spicy, with an almost black gravy. the prawns were so-so. the dessert ( some kind of vermicelli kheer ) wasn't good either - it tasted as if the milk was burnt. to top it all, the srvice was very slow. on speaking to the manager ( one mr biju ) he apologized and said that the cook had gone on leave to his native place! so well, maybe i should give it another shot after a coupla weeks before passing judgement.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:35   #763
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Crystal! The most homely, wholesome and satisfying Indian meal I've had in over a month. Crystal is a quaint li'l place on Marine Drive, right after Wilson College (on the LHS itself) and before the Shiv Sagar signal. Expect a wait of 10 - 15 minutes at any time on any day. It's popular with the college crowd.

The food is mind-blowing.....pipping hot chapatis with well prepared subzi. I asked for spicy mutter paneer and spicy it was, but the taste blew me away. Dal was A+ too. Other diners were relishing some kheer desert (I'm not fond of kheer).

Bill : 75 bucks per head. Try it, will be the best cheap meal you ever had. The service was surprisingly good and friendly too.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:37   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Crystal!
Spot On.

Id rate this place, to be serving amongst the best, home style, Veg. Punjabi food i have eaten outside a home.

The Paneer Bhurjee, Baingan Bharta are to die for besides the things already mentioned. Ambience is an old, no frills type of a late 50's eatery with songs from a similar era playing in the background. The antiquated owner also welcomes you with the the same warmth, missing in most modern eateries. A must try but dont expect some hifi place. It is strictly no frills but serving fresh, delicious food. Serves no liquor.......Go for it.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:51   #765
Senior - BHPian

When I was working in Taj Mumbai, I used to make it a point to visit Olympia Irani restaurant (opposite Leopold Cafe) atleast 3 times a week. I thought the Non-veg food there was very good.

Anyone felt the same?

Most Viewed